Ascending Aorta

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fernac911

The other day I met with my surgeon to schedule my AVR. He told me that my ascending aorta is dilated--4.1 I think, but he did not recommend replacing it. I told him that I wanted to try to avoid a second and if he could replace it. He told me that he would wrap it with some sort of material.

I have read that some of you have had a root or graft. Is this the wrap he is talking about or it something different?

Thanks

Hi, I think he is talking about something different. I had aneurysms of the aortic root and ascending aorta and they were replaced with an aortic graft. Essentially that portion of my aorta was replaced with a dacron tube (more specifically a hemashield platinum woven double velour vascular graft, 28mm diameter). I have heard of cases where the aorta was wrapped but don't know much about it. A quick search for aortic aneurysm wrap brought up several references, this was first: http://www.ctsnet.org/sections/clinicalresources/adultcardiac/expert_tech-29

When I had my aortic valve replaced, my aorta had bulged to 4.5. The surgeon sewed a graft (fabric tube) inside my aorta and wrapped my native aorta back around it (to minimize scar adhesions I suppose).

Since I put my aorta under lots of stress and want to avoid repeat surgeries as much as possible, my surgeon replaced my ascending aorta up to hemi-arch with a graft and reinforced my aortic root with a felt as root appeared within needed range.

Latest posts

Back