aortic stenosis symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone
The only symptom I have is that I am breathless and it has got worse over the last few months, also I have had the feeling of a hot flush which comes over me sudden lasts for a few seconds then leaves me feeling clammy It has only happened a few times I saw the surgeon on the 31st July and am on his waiting list, The waiting list is six months he said he did not think it would be dangerous for me to wait six months I hope he is right
Are there any other symptoms I should be on the lookout for that could indicate a change in my condition I am also waiting for an angiogram test to see if I have any other heart problems I will de grateful for any advice
Regards
Jan

Hi Jan,
I too had what they referred to as critical aortic stenosis. The most common symptoms are usually shortness of breath and fatigue. Angina, or chest pain, can also occur with exercise or exertion; also lightheadedness (dizziness) or fainting. Some people notice very few symptoms... it's different for everyone. So just pay close attention to how you feel, especially if you begin to feel different.

Hope this helps. Take care and stay in touch ~

Hi Jan,

My symptoms are shortness of breath and sometimes chest pain on exertion. They are usually worse after eating, especially heavy meals, so I try to limit my portions to avoid overload. Walking on level ground is comfortable with no symptoms. When you cannot walk far without symptoms, then you need to push for evaluation and possible early surgery.

What tests have you had? Valve problems can be identified / quantified by catheterization (measuring pressure gradients), external Echogram, and TransEsophagael Echogram (TEE) where they place an ultrasonic transducer down your throat under conscious sedation. TEE is probably the most accurate test. My TEE revealed that the calculated aortic aperture from my catheterization was overly pessimistic. It also revealed some mitral regurgitation which had not been diagnosed from other previous tests.

If you have not had a TEE, I would request one to provide a definitive assessment of your condition.

'AL'

Hi Jan

I also Have aortic stenosis. Isee my cardiologist again in the
fall. I know what the outcome will be. Surgery. In April
My Aortic valve had moderate to severe leak. The only reason
I was not booked then was because I was showing no
symptoms. Since then I have started to develop shortness of
breath. Iam okay if Iwalk at a slow to medium pace on level
ground. I feela little short of breath after two flights of stairs.
A little swelling in my feet if I stand for a long time or walk to far. I also found that any summer temperature over 26 degrees
celius just tires me right out.I used to do low impact stretches and exerices every morning, but since summer came I have had to cut them in half. I seem to be exhausted after. I still work part
time and raise four children. I find, I watch myself very carefully
not to overdue anything to cause my symptoms to become
severe. I had mitral vavlve replace nearly two years ago.
Hope I have been helpful.

:) JBriau

Symptomatics

Symptomatics

Hi Jan --

According to my echocardiagram, I'm down to 0.61 cm2, which is true borderline territory. During catheterization, the cardiologist said he couldn't get through the aortic valve as well -- but I haven't had a TEE and, as others said, that is the more accurate assessment. I had an onset of symptoms late last Spring after 10 years of being aware of an asymptomatic condition of progressive stenosis and avoiding aerobic exercise. But my symptoms remain relatively mild, which allowed me to put operation back a month. If I walk rapidly up a couple of flights of stairs, particularly with a load, or try to motor uphill at anything other than a very leisurely rate, I now get short of breath and a bit dizzy. (I first became convinced that it was time to get something done when I tried sprinting up the escalator at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport to catch a flight a couple of months back, then a week later tried chasing my kids around the park at a picnic with a water pistol -- same result in both cases!)

I still walk about 2 miles every other day with no difficulty, including gently negotiated slopes, and I plan to keep gently nudging the envelope for the remaining time -- while avoiding stress and any sudden movements.

Peter

Symptoms

Symptoms

Thanks for the replies
The only test I have had is an echo test Where they put gel on you and use a sort of microphone you hear noises and they get a print out from the machine,
I am waiting for a catheter test the surgeon said it would be a good idea to get a clear picture of my heart ,the cardiologist did not think it was needed I am quite happy to have it done
The Tee Test sounds good but here in the UK we do not have many choices we cannot request tests we have to accept what the DR decides for us I think Billy summoned it up perfectly in a previous post here in the UK we are PAITENTS in the USA you are CUSTOMERS. Thankfully I am only breathless and I do feel tired all the time but as yet I have no pain and have not had any blackouts hope I don,t develope these symptoms.I have been told I wil have my surgery in six months
regards
Jan

Hi Jan

I too have aortic stenosis. I have only recently began noticing symptoms. I have had this since birth and have been getting regular checkups. When I was at the hospital in February they said that my condition had deteriorated and that I needed a new valve. However I said that I wasn' t experiencing any symptoms so they said that there would be no point in surgery as I would not feel any better afterwards. I was told to come back in a year. Not long after this I started to notice that I was getting breathless at my aerobics classes. I was breathless if I walked fast or was doing even housework and walking up the stairs. I was also getting pains in the chest right beside my heart. I can no longer do my ski-ing or hillwalking which I enjoy. I feel okay most of the time now as long as I take it easy and don't do much. I contacted the hospital and was there again in July. I had another echoscan and they said that my condition had not changed much since February but if I felt that my quality of life had deteriorated then they would put me forward for surgery. So now at the age of 40 I am waiting to see the Surgeon to discuss surgery. Thanks Jan for the advice re phoning the Surgeon's secretary to hurry my appointment along. However I am on holiday at the moment and don't really want to think about things at all just now. However when I go back to work I will certainly hurry things along if I have not heard from them.

Peachy :)

Hi peachy
Enjoy your Holliday!!! hope the weather is not too bad
How I wish our friends in the US could send us some warm sunny weather not sure If I could tolerate the 90+ some states are having but it would be good to have some maybe 70 degrees
Take care
Jan

ps we have some friends in Dundee and often visit Sterling
Scotland is a great place to visit

Feeling the heat

Feeling the heat

Peachy, Jan --

In north Florida we feel it quite tolerable as long as the ambient temperature stays a little below body temperature -- 98.6 F! When it plunges into the 70s we break out the woolens.

Peachy -- My progression of symptoms has been quite similar to yours. My understanding is that --

(a) the correlation between things like aperture or ejection fraction on the one hand and symptoms on the other is good overall but still quite variable in particular and individual cases: i.e., symptoms don't necessarily show up prominently when certain numbers are passed, though they do sooner or (a bit) later;

(b) once they start showing up they progress pretty rapidly, but can still leave a few weeks or even months of leaway -- to be verified with the physicians. I remember my cardiologist drawing for me a rough graph of the relationship between degree of stenosis (on the horizontal axis) and prominence of symptoms (on the vertical one): it ran nearly flat for a long stretch, then curved up rapidly at the far end.

Best for your remaining holidays, whatever the temperature!

Peter

Latest posts

Back