Aortic Dilation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxy

Aortic dilation." Isn't that a more patient-friendly name for a baby aneurysm? My details are sketchy as I just learned of the findings of an "incidental" echocardiogram from my internist over the phone. We were looking to rule out something else and instead found this. OMG! Tick-tock! Internist said: "It could take years to become a problem or months." Should I feel better for that clarificaition. Internist said: Go see a cardiologist who will likely repeat the echocardiogram and add on stress tests, a CT and more to establish a base line. I feel as though I've just been delivered a very unpredictable time bomb. Am I over-reacting. My grandmother died of a sudden, massive heart attack. My mother died of CHF. My brother died at 69 of a sudden heart attack and his son died at 58 of a sudden heart attack. I am just 70, thin, in great physical shape with only low thyroid, arthritis and bad eyesight as issues. My blood pressure does get very high but only once in a while and I have "high LD cholesterol" but the over-arching cholesterol findings are good. Any advice?

Hi,
You need to do the follow up with the Cardiologist to understand just how dilated your Aorta is. Many people live for years with an aortic aneurysm, and some never have to have anything done about it. The good news is that the size at which an aneurysm becomes dangerous is well known and now you can be monitored. When/if it reaches that size, then it needs to be repaired. That's the other good news - it can be repaired. That is generally done when it reaches 5.5 cm in diameter, less in some circumstances. I understand all too well what a shock it is to find out about such a thing. I did a lot of reading to understand more about it and joined this forum which is an excellent resource for information and just to talk to others that have been, or are going through the same thing. Welcome to the forum.

Re. the years or months comment. The rate of growth can vary but on average aneurysms grow about 0.1cm/year. Unless it is already near the surgical criteria it is very unlikely to get there in a matter of months.

HI there,
You don't really have much to go on here do you, Dilation is not necessarily an aneurysm, since the former refers to size beyond normal whereas the latter refers to size about 1.5 times larger than normal - ie. about 4.5 cm. It all comes down to size really. If it is approaching 5cm and there are other effects on the heart, such as regurgitation or a stenosis and if you have a bicuspid valve you may need surgery. But now you know about this you will be under observation and that is a good thing.

Good luck.

Marcuse

HI there,
You don't really have much to go on here do you, Dilation is not necessarily an aneurysm, since the former refers to size beyond normal whereas the latter refers to size about 1.5 times larger than normal - ie. about 4.5 cm. It all comes down to size really. If it is approaching 5cm and there are other effects on the heart, such as regurgitation or a stenosis and if you have a bicuspid valve you may need surgery. But now you know about this you will be under observation and that is a good thing. You will need to have your blood pressure stabilised.

Good luck.

Marcuse

Please bear with me, Ive been lurking for a while but know EXACTLY. what you are going through!! It sucks. After having a stroke in May 2014, they did a work up and found a 4.9 ascending aortic aneurysm as well as my congenital bicuspid valve and also A fib. I worked hard to recover from the stroke but always had the aneurysm hanging over my head. I I was referred to a surgeon and told to take it easy and keep my blood pressure down. six month later another CT scan and still 4.9. Still worrying, still living life in 6 month blocks. I didn't want to wait as surgery seemed inevitable and my surgeon and hospital was 45 miles away. I would likely die if it ruptured. In April I had a heart to heart with the surgeon and we decided to do the surgery to repair it and replace my valve while he was in there. Would also do a maze procedure to hopefully deal with the A fib. a 3 for 1. he suggested a tissue valve and I went with his suggestion. at 49 years old, there was no obvious or clear choice. I asked about his thoughts on a TAVr or TAVI valve in a valve and he thought by the time I need a replacement it was a good possibility. I won't say I begged for the surgery, but I really wanted it done and the worry behind me.

may 27 I had the surgery. It wasn't fun but I am SO Glad it is over. It went well, 5 days in the hospital. I am recovering well back to work, cooking and doing cardio rehab 3 days a week. my main complaints are some shoulder pain and tough time sleeping through the night. I lost 10 pounds after the surgery and my blood pressure and lipid profiles are good now. I had an echo lady week and all is good for now. Worrying is inevitable but counter prodiuctive.Easy for me to say noW

Back