Any Canadians here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

hi ...my son's pipeband have been invited to play at the Calgary Stampede in July ...he is really pleased about this ...he is the Pipe Major and as he leaves school in the summer he is delighted to get this one last chance to play with them. Last yr they went to Sweden,Germany and France .
Anyone ever been to the Stampede ...what is it like ?
thanks
Scottie

Go west, young man!

Go west, young man!

Hi Scottie,

I live in Cambridge, Ontario (which is only about 2,200 miles from Calgary) and am in my first year of college so I'm probably close in age to your son. While I've never been out west myself, I have an uncle (Peter Devine) who lived in Calgary for many years after coming over from Glasgow! He's been here over 20 years and I still can hardly understand him, especially after copious amounts of Guinness. He now lives in Ontario, but I'm sure he's been to the Stampede many times and wouldn't mind chatting with you. I know you guys will enjoy the festivities. Check it out at www.calgarystampede.com and if you email me at [email protected] I can give you Uncle Peter's email address should you want to contact him.

Brad

Last edited:
I'm a Canadian eh!

I'm a Canadian eh!

Hi Scottie,

I see you're looking for Canadians, and by gosh, I just happen to be one. Unfortunately, I live a LOT closer to Brad than I do Calgary. However, I DO know where Calgary is, if that helps. :)

Thanks you two !

Thanks you two !

Thanks Brad ....we found the site ...it looks great ! ..my son is really excited about the trip ...unfortunately for me ..but good news for him I'm sure ...I don't get to go on the trip ....We did enjoy looking around the site ....and thanks for the offer about your Uncle ...if we do hit any problems I'll get in touch with you .

Bunny Rabbit ....I think I've found Calgary too ...coming from such a small country as Scotland I tend to forget how big Canada is
Thanks anyway
Scottie

I am in Edmonton, which is less than 3 hours from Calgary via car. I go there for business occasionally and I know a ton of people that live there.

Let me know if you have any specific questions you need answered and I'll see if we can't get some answers for you.

Email me directly if you prefer:

[email protected]

Thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin

I'll keep your email addy and if we have any questions nearer the time of the trip I'll certainly get in touch ...
one question now ...how hot does it get in July?...our kids are not used to too much heat ...and is most of the places air conditioned ?
opps two questions
thanks again
Scottie

Calgary Temperature

Calgary Temperature

The temperature has a pretty wide range.
Typically, it will be between 18-27 Celsius during the day and the temperature will go down to 10-5C at night.

It has been known to hit 35C in a heatwave or go down to 5-10C during a cold spell. We've had snow in July, but it is very rare, so don't panic.

Calgary is a city with more than a million residents. It has all the amenities of any city of its size, with air conditioning being one of them.

While you are here, you may wish to check out the Rocky Mountains, since they are only an hour away by car.
Kev

Calgary in the summer

Calgary in the summer

I have been to the Stampede and it is a great party. The entire city takes time off to join in. You should volunteer to go along!!

We flew to Glascow in August 2000, rented a car, and toured for three weeks in the highlands including a week on the Isle of Skye where my mother's family came from. It was a great trip.

Back