Any advice?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Georgia

Hi folks. Here's the deal: I was sick last week - virus - high fever (101.5 +) nausea, severe headache for about three days. Took quite a bit of tylenol and a couple darvocet during that time. Was able to continue all meds because never vomited, but couldn't eat; probably didn't eat more than 500 calories per day for those 3 days. Just before I went to doc, discovered a pale pink rash on leg; doc said the illness was a virus that's going around and is self-limiting. The leg, however, is cellulitis, so he put me on 2,000 mgs of keflex per day for ten days.

I'm supposed to have inr tested this Monday; what kind of disaster can I expect in this test? I didn't see my own doc b/c he was on vacation; should I try to put off the test a few days & get eating back to some modicum of normalcy? My activities have been severely curtailed (doh); do we suppose inr will be way up or down? This is SO irritating, because I've just gotten it back on track after my last pcp screwed it up. Wish HE could get the stick.

Just sittin' around with my leg elevated. And hubby broke two ribs this Tuesday, so it's not only a house of doom - it's a house of groan.

And yes, they're still working on getting my home-testing unit processed in insurer. Sure wish I had one now.

Get your INR checked, don't put it off. Your INR should increase with the medication. They may need to throttle you back for a little bit. Being that you haven't eaten well, I'm sure it's going to be pretty high. Better safe then sorry.

Hey Georgia,
Like Ross said, get yourself INR tested. I hope you are doing better and also your husband. It seems like when one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong. Take Care

Dave

Hi Georgia-

I'm with the others. Get tested. Just because you don't test, doesn't mean that your INR isn't being unstable. Safer is the better thing.

I assume from your comments that your Coumadin Clinic does NOT have a finger-stick instrument. Are there any other clinics around that do have such instruments? Give them a call and look around.

In the meantime, ask them to use the smallest needle possible.
Better yet, ask if they would use a butterfly (which can be used anywhere on your arm or hands, giving your primary sites a rest.

'AL'

Well, kids, thanks for the replies. And after all that, I tested at 3.4. GO FIGURE. Rain must've gotten the dog out of the flowers or something (thanks, Rain). Don't have to go back for a month. ta-da! Good thing - veins are in short supply. No, they don't have finger sticks. Doc's nurse said that she's been in touch with the insurer for my home testing unit; they want more documentation. Told her that if the insurer turned it down I'd get one on my own. She was amazed. But I'll go through appeal process - don't WANT to spend that much on it if I don't have to!:eek:

Back