Anti Rejection Meds

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anti Rejection Meds

• v8code

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • smiles

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Lorraine

:confused:

I was talking with a friend (who's mother had a valve replaced) and she asked me if I was put on anti rejection meds for the valves. I wasn't sent home with any meds for that. Is that something everyone receives or does it depend on each persons individua situation? I go to the doctor on Friday for my INR so I'll ask the nurse, but I wanted to get some of my heart families responses. My friend was appauled but since I don't know if it is necessary I ddn't know what to say! Right now I'm on Coumadin, Lasix, Potassium, Vitamin and asprin. Any reponses would be helpful. Thanks :)

Lorraine

Unneeded

Unneeded

Lorraine,

I asked my surgeon about this and his reply was, "Since the replacement valves are not "living" tissue, there is no need for the antirejection drugs." The body doesn't see them as invaders.

I hope this answers your question:)

Kristy W

Anti rejection meds

Anti rejection meds

Lorraine - I don't think I've heard of anyone having to take anti rejection meds after a valve replacement whether its a tissue valve or a mechanical one. I certainly don't following my AVR in March. Its not as if its an organ replacement - even the tissue valves are treated in some way before use. The only danger is blood clotting and presumably you are taking coudamin and aspitin for that.

Wishing you all the best for your speedy full recovery.

Hi Kristy,

Thamks for the response. That makes me feel a little better.
From what my friend had said, I thought any foreign part used in your body could be rejected. I know my doctor didn't make mention of this so I never even thought about it until I was talking with my friend. Thanks Again:cool:

Lorraine

Gillian,

Thanks. The more responses I get, the better I feel! My friend made me feel that the doctor forgot to tell me something important. That's why I'm glad I found this forum. In the last couple of months, I've learned a lot, from people who knowand understand! :D

Lorraine

Re: Anti Rejection

Re: Anti Rejection

Lorraine,

Anti rejection was never mentioned to me. Of course I do have the mechanical valve but still I have never heard of anyone haveing to take anti-rejection meds. I would say that it was a special reason if your friends mother had to take the meds.
AVR
April 5 2001, St Judes Mech

No Drugs

No Drugs

My doc told me no rejection meds are required. So I guess I can say I agree with everyone else. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back