Another Iron Man

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLJ

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I warned dstakel that I would brag about him and I will. One of our "In the waiting room" members just completed the Canadian Iron Man in 10hours 12 minutes and 36 sec.This is unbelievable! The Iron Man is a 2.4 mile swim. a 112 mile bike followed up with a marathon! Whew! Joining our own Bill C, it is truely becomed quite the rarified environment for us heart athletes!
I don't know these guys except for the forum, but I really feel proud!!!
LLJ

Way to go, Dstakel! He and BillCobit are truly amazing! It's amazing enough that the non-heart-patients do these triathlons...that people with repaired or replaced parts do them is inspiring almost beyond belief!

Absolutely phenomenal! It's one of my dreams to complete an Iron Man one day, so I have nothing but the upmost respect for those who are able to do it. 10 hours is an absolutely incredible time and he is truly an inspiration to us all.

:D

WOW! That is an awesome time for anyone in any age group. You guys should not mention the two of us in the same post - if I can get off the bike in the time he finishes the whole race, I consider myself to be having a good day. I am happy enough to be the poser that I am - he is the real deal.

Great job, Dstakel!

Hi all,

First, thanks for the kudos LLJ...and all your support over the past few weeks! To the rest of you, nice to meet you...and thanks to you as well. You have no idea how much your stories helped me yesterday. You're the ones that deserve the credit for getting out there post-surgery and showing the world what the human spirit is capable of! I've been in awe over the past month reading your stories and seeing what each of you have accomplished. Turly inspiring! If I can do a tenth of that after my surgery (BAV repair within a year or so), I'll be a happy camper.

So thanks again! I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from me as a start freaking out before surgery!!

David

dstake: Good Stuff!!

Bill: I did not know you had done an Iron Man since your surgery. A belated Good Stuff!! for you also. Iron Man distances seemed out of reach for me before AVR and now exist only in the realm of fantasy. For now a 5k would be great....one step at a time.

Philip

Oh no Dave, you don't get away that easy! As you know or maybe not, we have a time honored tradition of "THE RACE REPORT" You did not even give us a taste of the day. Don't feel like you're blowing your own horn; it is what we all draw inspiration from. SO SPILL IT! How did you feel before the swim, how the hell did you pull out such an amazing run after almost 7 hours of top of the line effort? How did you feel heart wise? At any time did you say Hmmmm not such a good idea? Time to share Iron guy!
LLJ

Oh yea, and photos if you got em. It'll be hard to beat Bill C on the photo front. The photo of the swim was enough to give me goose bumps

Wow, cool, very impressive!

Now I must say:

RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!
RACE REPORT!

Say it with me everyone.

Too funny. I guess if there's one thing that's pretty easy to do, it's getting triathletes to talk about their races! Please see below for the down and dirty recap. A couple things first though. Bill, when you say that we shouldn't be mentioned in the same post, it's me that doesn't deserve to be in the same post as you! Let's not forget that I'm still a pre-op guy. I can't fathom going through what you did and then getting back out on that race course for a full day of torture. We'll see who the poser is once I figure out my surgery schedule!! LLJ, I'm still traveling, so no pics yet.

OK, so the report. Penticton, BC is a beautiful area and we were fortunate to have pretty good weather. It was cool in the morning, which made for a nice swim start. The swim itself was a 1 loop triangle (~1 mile straight, turn right for .25 mile, then one more right turn for 1.15 miles back to the beach). This was what I was most worried about as I generally hate swimming and because I've had some weird heart things going on in recent training sessions (irregular beats, loss of breath, pounding beats, etc). Those training swims were what caused me to reach out to LLJ...she was huge in talking me off the ledge! Anyway, I felt great before the race. I was with 3 other buddies and we were all having fun standing around and pee'ing in our wetsuits (yes, we may be in our 30's, but we still act like we're 6). The swim went well...a little slow, but as long as I don't drown, I'm happy. There were over 2350 swimmers who went off with the cannon, so having a straight first mile was great in enabling everything to thin out a bit before we converged at the first turn. There are always some rough moments in the water with that many people, but this race was one of the tamest that I've done.

Anyway, after fighting off some leg cramps during the last 20 minutes of the swim (don't know why, but I always get those!), I came out of the water, kissed the ground, had two lovely ladies strip off my wetsuit, grabbed my transition bag, and ran into the tent full of naked men. As you might imagine, I threw on my biking gear and got out of there as quickly as possible! The bike course was a blast and a lot faster than I expected. The first 40 miles were very flat and fast, with the exception of one fairly steep hill that was about 1 kilometer long. Unfortunately, my heartrate monitor decided to stop working about 5 miles into the bike, which was tough since I race based solely on heartrate. I tried not to waste too much emotional energy getting upset and changed the raceplan to go based on perceived exertion. After the first 40 miles, there is a 6-7 mile climb that elevates a total of about 1200 feet. I love climbing, so this was just fun for me. As much as I love climbing, I love descending even more, so I was pretty happy about the 45-50mph descent after the climb! For those of you who don't know, a lot of us pee on ourselves repeatedly during these races. It's much easier to do on the downhills and this bike course was quite conducive to timely bladder release. I'm sure it's quite a sight to see a skinny dude in spandex screaming down a mountain at 50 miles an hour with a steady stream of urine flying of his leg (I hope I'm not being too vulgar in front of all you people I've never met!). Anyway, after the descent there's another 40 miles or so of rollers. I was still feeling great, so I kept hammering at a pretty good clip here. Next came one more bit of climbing...about 12 miles with 1100 feet of gain. This is the test to see if you went out too hard earlier in the bike. Fortunately, I was able to maintain a good spin up this last climb and then enjoyed the final 12 mile downhill back to the transition. I made use of this final descent to make sure I was properly fueled up before the run and that the bladder was empty (you didn't think this report would talk so much about that, huh??).

I had a pretty quick transition and felt great as I started the run. This is normally my strength and since I started the run 6:30 into the race, I was pretty confident that I would be able to break my ultimate goal of 10 hours (the first goal is always to finish, second goal is to PR, so this was my third goal). A couple miles into the run though, the heat of the day started catching up with me. It was about 93 degrees and my heart always tends to crank a bit in that type of heat. So, although I didn't have the heartrate monitor, I knew that what I was feeling wasn't a good thing and that I'd have to slow it down if I wanted to finish. I settled into a rhythm of running a mile and then briskly walking through each aid station while drinking a cup of gatorade and cup of water, stuffing sponges with cold water down my jersey, and dumping ice in my cap to keep my head cool. Every third mile, I would eat a Gu energy gel, some pretzels, and a salt tablet. I was definitely going slower than I wanted, but I felt like a was racing a smarter race. By mile 19, the day caught up with me a bit and I started feeling pretty dizzy. Coke to rescue! I drank a cup of coke at each of the next 5 miles and that left me feeling like a peach. So, in the end, I didn't break 10 hours, but I did PR and was overall pretty happy with my performance.

Unfortunately, I didn't quite qualify for the championships in Hawaii. I finished 14th in my age group and the last qualifier in my age group was 11th. It was pretty disappointing, but I'm trying not to dwell on it (that's tough when you're a competitve, anal-retentive, Type-A, obsessive-compulsive type like me). At my last cardiologist visit, I was told that this would probably be my last year of IM racing, so I was really hoping to go out with a bang. If there's any way to get back to this level post surgery, I will do my best to find it! You guys have all inspired the hell of out me and giving me a great gift in knowing that this surgery won't end my life as a triathlete!

With that, I'll end this short novel. Thanks again for your kind words and incredibly inspiring personal stories! I hope I that I'll be able to exhibit the same strength and character as you in the coming years!

Ciao,
d

dstakel said:
I've been in awe over the past month reading your stories and seeing what each of you have accomplished. Turly inspiring! If I can do a tenth of that after my surgery (BAV repair within a year or so), I'll be a happy camper.

My first thought was: "sandbagger." We have long needed a VR.com Kona qualifier that we could cheer for, and it sounded to me like you were trying to shirk your moral duty. Then I read this:

dstakel said:
At my last cardiologist visit, I was told that this would probably be my last year of IM racing

I would not buy what your cardio says - sounds like a buncha Bethesda Conference Cr@p to me. Given the level you're at now, I can't imagine why your cardio would make that assertion. I know a guy in his 60's who can still manage a sub 12 hour IM several years after a Ross procedure (performed by Dr. Stelzer, NYC). He's performed well for many years now running marathons and several Ironman races. Heart surgery is always a bit of a gamble, but I see no justification for pessimism at this time. I sincerely expect you to be back in the hunt for a Kona slot within a couple of years. In fact, I think you should plan on it. Consider your first post-surg walk as your first training session!

You are young and gifted - find yourself a good surgeon, and please don't give up on that Kona dream.

Note to everybody else: I don't wiz all over myself when I do triathlon - the difference between finsihing at 16:45 vs. 16:50 is NOT compelling for me :D I park my bike and use the porta-potties like the other BOPers. Keeps my bike shoes smelling nice and fresh too :rolleyes:

Ok guys, I can't say I've ever peed in my shorts while racing, but racing with mostly guys, I have to say I was amazed at friends who could pee while STANDING on their moving bikes with their shorts legs pulled over. Hah! Beat that! (Man this is really going to the 1st grade level now!)
That was a great rave report Dave. I'm with Bill, don't give up yet. Post surgery racing better be better --or else I'm doomed to finishing last in my age group and I'm definately NOT down with that!
Once again, I feel so lucky to be in the company of such determined,friendly, gifted athletes like the ones here on VR.com!
Laura

Dave

Cool report and to echo the rest a big congrats on the race.

To carry on the support theme and, as is evidenced by the many here who do amazing things, dont give up on that Kona spot at all. Who knows - you might even go faster when your heart valve fix lets your heart pump blood around your body!!!

As much as I "admire";) the ability to be able to do your business on a moving bike it might just have to be a "skill" I'll have to do without!:)

cheers

Russell

Thanks again for the encouragement. You're right, Kona has been a dream of mine for a long time and it's way too early to give up on it. Bill, I promise not to "shirk my moral duty"!

Regarding the "relief" while on the bike...don't knock it until you try it. It's quite liberating!

Thanks again,
d

Great effort!

Great effort!

Hi Dave

I just jumped on and found your posts re Ironman. Having done a couple (Auckland NZ) back in the mid-90's while still pre-op (and pre-aware of BAV!) I can identify with your report. I never managed to break 11 hours, though did run a 3:40 marathon on the back of the first one... It's hard to imagine doing another now, 12 years older at 49 and 2 years post op!

I'm enjoying MAsters athletics and have reverted to a child-hood love of sprinting - bit of a change from 20+ years of long-distance.

Every now and then I get tempted when I watch an Ironman, but am satisfied to have "been there, done that" and am enjoying some other challenges in life.

Good on yer, and keep in touch!

Kind regards

Grant

:D I'm catching up on postings and have a couple of comments.

1. I'm jealous of even attempting to run in 93 heat. Truly amazes me.
2. Never has the "pleasure" of leaving a liquid trail on my bike. I sweat so much that I seldom get sufficinetly saturated on the inside to get saturated on the outside. :D If I haven't gone in the water, I'll be dry for the duration. Then again, a sprint race doesn't place the same demands as an IM.

3. I dub thee
IRON VALVER 2

(Bill C is IV1)

dstakel,

I've been out of touch with VR.com for awhile and missed this thread. Great race report not to mention performance.

You're obviously in phenomonal shape, and my contention is that the better shape you're in pre-surgery, the better your chances are of rebounding quickly post-op.

I wouldn't give up on your Kona dream yet. It may just take a little more time.

Back