anemia and coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whalepassion

I am a newcomer to this site. I had a mitral valve replacement in May. Since that time I have done fairly well with the exception of not being able to get my INR level stabalized. I have to have it checked every week, sometimes 3 times a week. I lead an active lifestyle and walk about 2 miles everyday. I teach elementary school and am always busy. Lately, I have been diagnosed as very iron deficient with a problem with hemoglobin. I am pale, weak and have been having dizzy spells. I am waiting for the doctor to determine if I need over the counter iron or if there is some internal bleeding going on. I am on between 10-12 mg of coumadin a day. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Hi

And welcome to this terrific site. Everyone here understands about valve replacement, so you have lots of instant friends.

Many people are anemic after major surgery, and sometimes mechanical valves can cause a type of anemia called hemolytic anemia. My husband has two mechanicals and he does have this type of anemia. He took iron for quite a while, and also folic acid. He's off the iron now, but will be on folic acid for the rest of his life.

He has a hematologist who keeps track of the hemolysis. In the past his anemia has been serious enough to have to have transfusions. He was also pale, dizzy and felt very tired.

He did have a mitral valve leak which contributed to this as well. It's fixed now. His anemia is under control and within normal ranges with the folic acid.

I'm sure your doctors will do all kinds of testing to find the cause of the anemia and will get you back on the right track.

Wishing you good health soon.

Getting your INR checked 3 times a week makes me 99.99% sure that the person managing your warfarin does not understand how it works.

"I can't understand why my INR is not stable when the doctor checks it 3 times a week," is the most frequent complaint I get in my e-mail. It takes about 3 days for the INR to stabilize when a dosage change is made. When the INR is checked 3 times a week the person dosing your warfarin is making changes based on the last dose they gave you - that has not had time to stabilize. You will stabilize about the same time a puppy catches its own tail.

Do not assume that because someone is your primary doctor, cardiologist, nurse or whatever that they know how warfarin works. Most of them have had no training in it and assume that it works like all other drugs -- it does not. A doctor who says that he has treated 100 people on warfarin has not really seen enough to understand all of the ins and outs. That was exactly what the last one said in a malpractice case that I consulted on.

Please look at my website www.warfarinfo.com to gain an understanding about how complicated this is.

I had valve replacement surgery (aortic) the end of Feb 2002. My iron levels were very low and I have been taking a daily multivit with 4mg of iron since May. My energy level is good but like you I have been having dizzy spells every once in awhile. These are the kind where the earth spins. My gp does not seem concerned and I have not seen a cardiologist but it is a worry.

I understand that iron-deficiency anemia is quite common, but there are other causes for anemia or low levels of iron in the blood. The two that come to mind are insufficient vitamin B-12 and thyroid problems. Perhaps you will find the following sites helpful.
www.anemia.com
www.medlineplus.gov Click on topics, go to the letter A then scroll down to "anemia."

The real problem and central issue in taking iron is that there is a problem with asorbtion....which, incidentally is common to all minerals. In order for iron to be absorbed there needs to be B-12 and acid (usually vitamin C) available. My husband and I take a prescription, generic drug called "Anmegen." It is relatively inexpensive and contains Vitamins C and B-12 in addition to iron. The dose is one per day. You might speak with your physician about this. Hope this helps.
Blanche

OOPS< MADE A MISTAKE

OOPS< MADE A MISTAKE

Darn...I spelled it wrong. I really need to learn to type with both hands!!! The correct spelling is A N E M A G E N. Sorry.

My problem is in the female form of the monthly. I went to the GYN doctor with my concern and he put me on a shot given every three months, It is also to help keep me from becoming anemic. I was have a hug problem and now doing quite well. My energry level has gone up and everything else is doing fine. Coumadin had been part of the problem. But I would not trade having the St. Jude's valve. So Everyone have low energy and dizziness, get checked to be sure of what it could be or not be. Better be safe than sorry. Take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Back