amiodarine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

deborahj

hiyah everyone,i went into severe afib, about a month ago my doc prescribed amiodarine, warfarin and frusemide.I got terrible rashes on my legs. And massivel high bloodpressure.after a month on the drugs, i decided to try no amiodarine....my rythym has been excellent/regular and sinus My doc however wants me to have cardioversion... thinking i am still afib. aeghh.

I don't know why I went into afib but i am sure i am ok now.helppppp!!!The amio is affecting the warfarin (3 mgs daily) and I am having massive periods etc.I need some adviceIt has been difficulot over the holiday period, and especially since i havre found the amodarine problem

Amiodarone doubles the effectiveness of the coumadin. The Physician's Desk Reference specifies a 100% increase.
I had amio for one month with arrhythmia, and then I switched myself to magnesium, which works much better, and has no side effects.

Cardioversion

Cardioversion

I continued to have af after my release from the avr and pm jobbers. In May, I ended back up in the ER with all kinds of ventrical and atrium beats, They calmed it all down with amiodarone. but the af continued. I had cardioversion in June 2001. Everything settled down immediately and they stopped the amiodarone and coumadin. I have had little or no af or other problems since.
Thus it works well for some.

Last edited:
I too was put on Amioderone for about 6 months. I did fine on it and hopefuly you will too. I just had a bad case of hives/rash from a reaction to an antibiotic so I know how you feel about the rash on the legs (thats where mine was).

Hope you get well soon and be careful and stay in close touch with your cardiologist. Good luck...

Hi All and Happy New Year

Tyce was put on Amiodarone this past May. He went into afib and converted medically as a result of the amio. After his AVR surgery in June, our cardio said that he would like to keep him on the amio about 6 months and then wean him off the drug. I was especially concerned about it, moreso when our opthamologist saw "amiodarone deposits" in his eyes when he got his eye exam. He began weaning off around the beginning of November, and went down from 200 to 100 to 50 to 25 to 25 every other day and then off completely. During this time, he also began taking 400 mg. of magnesium daily. So far, no problems---let's just hope it stays that way. He has a cardio appt. on Friday of this week, so we'll see what he says.

Evelyn

Amiodarone - don't go there if you can help. Should be used as a last resort. My special EP friend told me so. Other drugs are available first.

My brother had cardioversion. It was not bad - just a little extra sunburn on his chest that cleared right up. It is holding for him and it's been 1 1/2 yrs. I wish you well in whatever you and your dr decide. God bless

hi deb!
my husband, joey, had the same situation as tyce. he's been on it since 5 days after his surgery and although it has been extremely effective, he is in the process of weaning off the stuff.
it is heavy duty strong stuff, but in the right hands and when monitored closely, i think it really does the job.
joey has also started taking the magnesium, which i think is great stuff for arrhythmias (they even told us that in the hospital!!)
wishing you all the best in this new year.
be well, sylvia

dear all,
thanks so much for your replies and the information that they included.happy new year to all of you.Amiodarine seems to be a very powerful and sometimes toxic drug, but afib is no fun either.i have taken magnesium in the past but not recentlywith any regularity i go for an inr test on friday, back home (I am away for the hols)so I will ask about amiodarine then,The medical staff are pressed here, and if you don't ask questions they tend to leave you a bit in the dark.the response to my question abut the rash was, if you have had amiodarine before, with no reaction its probably not thhe cause;anyway...i am feeling much better now and seem to have been in sinus rhthym over the Hols...amazing what being with your family can do...and being away from the stresses of day to day life...perhaps its the drugs! perhaps its the lifted spirit.Anyway thanks again and a happy healthy 2003 to you all.

Amiodarine

Amiodarine

I am just a rookie with all of this but from the tenor of responses it looks like it is good stuff for most people. Sure hope you can get your doctor to help you cope with it. Good Luck! Bob

Amiodorone (codorone)

Amiodorone (codorone)

Hi All,
I am also on Amiodorone. I had mitral valve repair June 2001. After the repair the heart went into atrial flutter and stayed there. A bout with Cardiac Tamponade and then was put on Amiodorone 200 mg and after two or three months had cardioversion that worked. Was cut back to 100 mg after a few months and was due to totally quit in March 2002. One week before I was to be taken off - heart went back into atril flutter - so was put back on Amiodorone - and two months later - cardioversion again-which worked. Have been on Amiodorone since 200 mg. However the last six months or so - my joints started going out of joint very easily and a lot of joint pain - told the doc but they didn't think the amio could be doing this. They said I'm probably just getting arthritis. Within the last six weeks I cut the AMiodorone down to 100 mg. a day and now my joint pain seems to have subsided, feels a little better each week. I haven't told the cardio yet. I would like to get off completely - what are my alternatives. My cardio is a great cardio but doesn't say much - other than I'm doing really well as long as I'm in rhythm. My cardio or physician have not mentioned the magnesium - does it work - how much should one take.
Thanks, Andy

Hello Andy

My husband, Tyce, had AVR in June and was recently weaned off the Amio. He presently has been off the amio for about 3 weeks. He supplemented his vitamin regime with 400 mg. magnesium. We found out about the magnesium from this list, mentioned it to our cardio who said it wouldn't hurt, and so far, so good....Personally I think staying out of afib is 50/50, but whatever works, works. in my humble opinion. From what I've read, now that he's off the amio, we plan to watch his INR to be sure it stays in range for the next few months.

I wish you luck getting off of it totally, but you are right, afib is no picnic either.

Evelyn

Our dear Janie has been a great one for magnesium since I have been on VR and that's awhile - she was one of the original, so she's been pushing it a long time, but I can't recall what, exactly, it is supposed to do for our hearts - but I have a bottle of it. Can someone give me a refresher course?

hi all!
joey, just like evelyn's tyce, takes about 400 mgs. magnesium daily.
it's funny but i had first learned about magnesium here, yes ann, from janie's posts.
when joey went into afib after his surgery, they put him on an antiarrhythmic drip AND a
magnesium drip!!!! there must be something to it!!
he is in the process of weaning off the amio and his cardio is very relaxed about it. he says that if joey should go into afib at any time, he will just cardiovert him and go from there.
wishing you all the best and a happy and healthy new year,
sylvia

Rx Afib for Alice

Rx Afib for Alice

Deb, My wife Alice age 75 has mitral valve prolapse but is not yet a candidate for surgery. Last year she went into wild afib and felt terrible. Her cardiologist (also mine) Rx Coumadin for six weeks then he did cardioversion as an outpatient which converted her to sinus rythym. He did not prescribe amiodirone but another anti arrythmic drug called Betapace. She's done well with no side effects.

Betapace

Betapace

Thanks Marty,
I'll ask my cardio about it.
Andy:)

Latest posts

Back