Advise With Garry

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lolexson

Hi Everyone,
Garry had second open heart in November in Toronto. We are back home and he is still in a lot of pain (shoulder pain that radiates down his arm and also pain deep in his heart! Dr. says he should try nitro - why - he underwent major surgery - so why - Angina? Also his INR levels tested at 5 today. Would this contribute to the reason he is feeling so awful. It has been a year of hell for us - we thought it was over - but maybe not. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Lula

Hi Lula-

So sorry to hear that Garry is still in pain. It doesn't sound like something that should be happening. Have you given any thought to a second opinion. Sounds as if that would be the way to go. It would be good to find someone who isn't "friends" with your current doctors.

Best wishes

Hi, Just read your post and I don't know if it will be relevant but when I am getting attacks of pericarditis the most painful place is my shoulder tip and arm. This is apparently because the nerve supply from the diaphragm (which gets irritated if the heart is having problems) has a pathway to the shoulder. Another thing which again I don't if it is relevant is a situation called Dresslers syndrome which can happen after cardiac surgery, chest trauma or a heart attack and again is to do with fluid collecting around the heart and again causes these types of pain. I only know of this because of this recurrent peicarditis that I have. I find the attacks make me feel more ill and are more painful then ever the surgery was. I do hope this may be of some help and things improve soon. All the best Adrienne

Lula - I am still getting some shoulder pain that goes down my arm. This happens infrequently (since my surgery in Jan), but my arm feels almost numb when it does. I am also getting dizzy which concerns me. My cardiologist tells me it's not heart related, however, I will check with a new cardio in Jan. My wife thinks it's diabetes, so I will check that too. I will post if I find out anything. Good luck to you and Garry about getting him out of the pain. I doubt it has anything to do with INR.

To lula
Get everything checked like everyone has mentioned, also get bp checked also.

To bill,
To your dizzyness, might be either inner ear infection or bp(blood pressure). Get checked out soon. I have a friend who was fight dizzyness and found out it was inner ear infection. But it could have been anything.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aoric valve replacement
St Jude's valve

Latest posts

Back