6 miles on post-op day 19

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpattillo

My wife and I did 6 miles yesterday (post-op day 19) which was comprised of .75 miles of running (at a 9:20/mile pace) and the rest a brisk walk for a total of 6 miles. The running did tax my lungs in a good way. I could tell they were getting worked in a way that will help them improve. I need to get those deep breaths that I haven't needed since running before my AVR. They weren't there but they will be soon.

Hmmm. I was probably one of the more eager beavers as far as getting back into the exercise routine was concerned. My concern for you is the impact of running, even at a slightly sub 10 min/mile pace. You have a lot of tissue trying to heal in there. Why not stick with a combination of walks and when you want to get your HR up a little higher, try an elliptical machine, if you have access to one. I realize not everyone does, but if you can get on one, that will help satisfy your need to keep the blood flowing and lungs expanding while maintaining control and keeping the impact down. Remember that your sternum takes 6 weeks to heal about 80% and another 6 to heal the remaining 20%. The soft tissue healing has to take a few months, wouldn't you think?

Over 5 of the six miles was walking. Also, my sternum wasn't broken. The valve was replaced via a two inch incision between the second and third rib on the right.

Very sweet. A nice .75 mile with 5.25 miles of speed walking. What was your total time for this? Did you keep consistent speed-walk pace or interval a little bit?

Back