6 Days Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gary Snodgrass

Hello Everybody,
I am 6 days post-surgery and have been at home for 2 days. I am very glad to be out of the hospital as the constant noise and lack of rest was really wearing on me. My surgery went fine and I am now the owner of a new St. Judes Valve and a dacron ascending aorta prosthesis. The constant clicking and thudding are going to take time to get used to. I don't care as long as the valve doesn't regurgitate! I have had some difficult moments the past few days. I had severe headaches which start at the back of my neck while in the hospital and 1 day at home. At first I thought these might be due to the painkiller or the combination of coumadin and metoprolol. After seeing my cardiologist today and discussing he thinks that the headaches are more likely due to my anemia. I am waiting on the results of bloodwork to confirm. Also I have been switched to atenolol because it has longer duration of action than metroprolol. I found that as my dose of metoprolol began to wear off my pulse and blood pressure would rise and my heart would be beat more intensely. Hopefully this won't happen anymore. Well, it's good to be on the "other side" and looking forward to returning to health.:D

Welcome home Gary

Welcome home Gary

Gary,

Welcome home from your surgery!! I agree with you that the hospital is no place to rest.

Have you considered that your headache is due to the fact that you can't sleep in a proper position? I developed a monster of a headache on my 4th day after surgery. It lasted for almost a week. I was fortunate that my sternum wasn't sensitive at all and I was able to change my sleeping position from the recliner to a reclined position in a bed. This made a world of difference. As a matter of fact, I was sleeping on my back and on my side by the time I was 3 weeks post-op.

You're right to check with your Drs. though, they usually have an idea.

Again, congrats on being home and resuming your life!!

Hi Gary,

Glad to see you're home and doing okay. Yeah, hospitals are not great aren't they?
The first few weeks after surgery are a bit trying to say the least, but after that it is not too bad. Just listen to your body and do what it tells you. Don't overdo because you'll pay for it dearly the following few days.
Are you walking?

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Great to hear that your back in action. I was wondering how you were doing. I should know on the 25th or soon after, when I'm afforded the chance at recovery. ;)

Been huntin every day for news. So glad to hear from you and that you have safely scaled the mountain and are over the top. Just rest, shoo those headaches away if you can. And rest, rest -
and don't sneeze. God bless

Gary-

Good to hear from you and that you had a successful surgery. You're in healing mode now and on the path to better health.

Congrats on your new heart!

Welcome to the top of the mountain

Welcome to the top of the mountain

Hi Gary,

Glad to hear that everything went pretty well with your surgery. I hope you have a smooth and uneventful recovery period.

If the only problem that you've had so far is a couple of headaches, you're doing fine. I'm sure your doctor will take care of that by adjusting your meds.

Do your breathing excersises, start your walking program, and rest when you feel you need it. I think the key to a successful recovery is to find a pace that's right for you. Don't be lazy, but don't overdo it either. You'll be feeling a little better every day.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ron K

hi gary!
how wonderful to hear everything went so well and that you are home and well on your way to recovery.
please remember not to rush anything; it will all come in good time. take it easy, slow and relax and rest.
walking is good. so is catching a nap when you can (since you might have some trouble sleeping).
i'm so glad you are doing well. wishing you a smooth and uneventful recovery. please keep in touch.
be well, sylvia

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and support. I've found that taking benadryl at night and staying on the schedule for pain medication has made it much easier to sleep at night. I have been walking a bit more each day but being careful not to overdo it. I'm very thankful that things have gone so well.:D

Hey Gary

Hey Gary

So glad to hear that you are ok, you hang in there and do whats right now you hear,don't be a hero,time is all we have so make your recovery the most pleasent of those times, I do hope they can fix those headaches,seems that one goes thru enough without having to deal with another type of pain .

Your over the mountain, the skys are blue and the sun is warm , and you are back here with us, God Bless and keep you
safe.

---------------------------------
jade
Rheumatic Mitral Stenosis&regur
CHF & COPD

Hi Gary... glad to hear that everything is okay. About the headaches.... have you looked up the side-effects of most pain-killers? Yep! Headaches!!! Go figure!!!

Take care,
Zazzy

Hi Gary, I too just had valve replacement sugery on 3/21 and I am doing great. SOme aches and pain but nothing big. It was easier the second time around.
Indmom:

Hello!

So glad to hear that God has been holding you in the palm of His hand, and not squeezing too tightly.

I am sure the Dr. will resolve the headache problem....anemia is common after this surgery.

Welcome to the other side.

Wayne and Marybeth

Speaking of anemia, on my first visit after surgery to my primary, he took one look as he passed me in the hall and said 'you look pale' so I think you are anemic. When I got into the exam room, he checked the eyes, etc, rxed iron, sent me to hosp and sure 'nuff - anemia..

Welcome, Indmom - nice to see you. Glad you found the site. It's a wonderful place to communicate with others before/after surgery. So much to learn. God bless

Gary,

It sounds like your early recovery is going very well. I too have the combination St. Jude valve and aortic root prosthesis. I'm sure you already know the unique "thump" that we feel is normal. It is actually happening when your valve closes and heart goes into diastolic (rest). The dacron amplifies the sound and movement of the valve. It may be hard to believe right now, but you will get used to it. Others will think you have a very loud pocket or wrist watch!

Keep us posted.

Dave M

Latest posts

Back