12 Day's away and getting Bronchitis!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

Here I am, 12 days away from surgery day and it looks to be I'm developing some sickness.

Anyone else gotten sick just before surgery?

Looks like I'll be heading to the Doc before this Friday for some Antibiotics. :mad:

Last edited:
Hi Ross,

I got Bronchitis a year ago and 5 weeks ago again. Would this be called a chronic condition? Antibiotics did not help at all. Still have Larengitus to deal with and it won't go away. Am feeling better though!
Hope you won't linger as I am lingering with this.
Good Luck!

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

hi ross!
joey got a sore throat and cough right before his surgery. they did a blood test to make sure his white blood count wasn't too high and found it to be borderline. we talked with dr. stelzer, who didn't seem too concerned. when we asked him what he thought, he said we could go ahead. he did, ultimately, leave that up to joey though. the only bad thing was that he had a residual cough after the surgery (and by now you know that's not what you want to have... no coughs, no sneezes, etc).
lots of tea and 2 good night sleeps later he went in for the surgery still not feeling 100%, but strong enough.
hopefully you will have sufficient time to take the meds and fight this thing off and go into surgery good and strong.
i will be thinking of you and hoping that these wonder drugs do their job quickly.
best wishes for a speedy recovery,
sylvia

Now, Ross, you just cut that out and straighten up or I'll have to come up there, you hear? Lots of OJ, vit C, a trip to dr, rest, gargle w/warm salty water and drink MUCH water, some zinc lozenges and you ought to be in good shape by the end of 12 days. NO sickness now, it's just too late.

Well, don't do that!

Well, don't do that!

Hey Ross, sorry to hear you are getting a bug. If you get on it quickly, I'll bet you'll be cleared up in time if it's not too nasty.

Listen to hensylee, I don't think you want her to come up there ;)

I'll say a little prayer for you right now

I'll say a little prayer for you right now

while I'm awaiting my own surgery in a matter of hours.

Hi Ross, I'm pretty new here myself, but you were the first to respond to my post. I hope you get over that bug real quick! When I get back on the board, I'd like to see that you are still scheduled for your surgery.

I should be sleeeeeeeeeping! I really feel okay about the surgery, just took my Hibiclens shower and for some reason do not feel a bit tired, adrenaline? Probably. but in less than two hours, I'll be off to Fairview Southdale in Edina MN.

:eek: Oh well, hang in there and I'll see ya on the other side, Ross! Jean

This certainly isn't my own chosing.

The wife brought it home from work and as things go in this house, I just had to get it too. She's on day 4 and beginning to get better and so far, it hasn't hit me as hard, but I'll see what the Doc has to say anyway. I get the feeling that this is one that I'll have to deal with, without antibiotics. As long as I'm not coughing my chest apart, I'll be happy! This is the first illness, bugwise, that I've gotten this year. That is a new world record in itself. The timing is messed up though.

Hensylee, you know I'd do anything to make you come up here! :D

Jean: Too late to post to you, but I'll do it anyway.
I'll keep you close in thought and prayer as you go through your surgery. I hope someone can post on your behalf, but if not, be sure to let us know how your doing when possible. ;)

Hi Russ:

I can just imagine your worry. Don;t want that surgery postponed. Are you certain it is bronchitis? As Nancy always says, everything that happens to you guys ends up being related to your heart disease. Make sure your surgeon and your PCP really know what is going on. Perhaps you have some fluid backing up??????????
Sounds like you are on the right track....call your doctor, and take it easy!

Best wishes, agian for your upcoming surgery!

Marybeth

Bummer dude!

Bummer dude!

Ross,

I'm hoping things improve quickly and you can go forward soon.

Take care!

:p

Regards,

Hey Ross,

You'll have to do better than that to postpone your surgery! What happened to that positive mental attitude you were supposed to be keeping up?

See the doc, take your medicine, get lots of rest, follow everyone's advice, and get over this thing. I'm sure you'll be feeling fine in 10 days or less, just in time to get ready for the hospital. :)

' Hope you're feeling better real soon. (and your wife, too.)

Ron K

Hi Ross - I had the flu and bronchitis just after I left the hospital after my surgery. My opinion is that you are better off getting sick before the surgery than after it. However, not getting sick on either side is a good option too.

Hi Ross-

I agree with Marybeth. One time, Joe was diagnosed with bronchitis (not by his cardiologist) and was treated for it for several months. It turned out to be fluid in his lung, not bronchitis. So see the cardio and check it out with him. Fluid can also collect in your neck veins, distending them and causing hoarseness.

I can assure you, we will never let that happen to Joe again. The longer I go down this bumpy road with Joe, the mouthier I become (and I was already mouthy, LOL). You have to be your own best friend.

So buddy, have the heart man take a look.

Hi Ross,

Well it's all been said, so I can only add my best wishes for this 'bug' to be mild and leave you quickly!!! (We don't want to 'shoot' you yet..LOL!)

Zipper *~*

Ross,
You have time to get over this, and I just know you will. Times of stress make us all more susceptible to bugs, and this surely qualifies as a time of stress for you!

I just found out today I'll beat you to the operating room...my surgery is now scheduled for June 5. So don't breathe on me now, ok? LOL

Get well quick and listen to all the good advice everyone gave above.

--John

I have an infection. The Doctor started me on Biaxcin and the surgeons office is going to call toward the end of next week to see how I'm feeling. I'm ticked! I haven't gotten any bugs all year until now. :mad:

Doesn't it just figure. All this long wait and then you have this to deal with. It stinks, but I'm sure they'll move Heaven and Earth to get you well for surgery. Most bugs are killed by antibiotics within the first 24 hrs and then all you hve to do is get over the symptoms. You can do it!

Wishing you a quick recovery.

hey john!
great news that you have your date. and, not too much time before to think about it.
i'm glad you finally have that "end in sight".
you will be in our thoughts and prayers that day, but in the meantime we'll be here keeping you company while you wait.
be well, sylvia

Feeling better

Feeling better

Ross,

How are you doing? Did you get some Rx meds for your problem? Any improvement? Please post soon and let us know you're okay. I sure hope they don't have to postpone your surgery.

We're all pulling for you. :)

Ron K

Thanks for the thoughts Ron

7 days away and I'm actually worse! Whatever this is, the antibiotics don't seem to be phasing it. Maybe too soon? I just got them Friday. I feel almost like I have Bronchitis/Pneumonia. Feverish, head and chest congestion to the max, can't talk right, half deaf and terribly space brained.

At this point, it looks like I'll be rescheduled. :mad: I suppose I'll know for sure Wednesday. :(

Hey Ron,
With my own surgery just a couple days away now, I know how hard it would be if it had to be rescheduled (this already happened once to me when they didn't have the right size valve).

I recall Jennie Harris telling me how she got through all this, and it was by taking one day--one thing--at a time. They will get this illness figured out, and you will get well. If your surgery has to be rescheduled, so be it. You will get through all this, and I really look forward to the time when we are both on the other side of that metaphorical mountain, and can focus once again on enjoying life.

Hang in there, Ron...I just know this will all work out for you.

Warmest wishes,
--John

Latest posts

Back