Getting Tattoos while on Anti-Coagulants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

Well this question has nothing to do with how anti-coagulants work or anything like that. I am curious if there is anyone on this site that has gotten tattooed since being on anti-coags. I have two half sleeve tattoos and want more down the road. I know this is going to be a case by case basis and up to the discretion of the artist/shop, but has anyone had an artist refuse to work on them because you were on anti-coags?

The artist I've used in the past did tell me he wouldn't have a problem with it, but just curious what anyone else's experience may have been regarding this topic.

Don't know about anticoagulant, but my cardiologist said my BAV meant I shouldn't have tattoos because of the risk of infection.

cewilk;n852327 said:
, but has anyone had an artist refuse to work on them because you were on anti-coags?

The artist I've used in the past did tell me he wouldn't have a problem with it, but just curious what anyone else's experience may have been regarding this topic.
there was a thread on this, most respondants criticized the idea of tatts, but IIRC they never posted back with outcomes. My gut feeling is there may be a little more bleeding but with the help of a rag the artist should be able to work fine.

post a pic when you get a newie :)

None of the four tattoo artists who have worked on me since I started warfarin thought that I bled more than normal. All of them pointed out that there is quite a lot of variation in how much people bleed anyway, but that I was within what they would consider 'normal range'.
The risk of infection is a serious consideration, and you shouldn't take it lightly. If you already trust your current artist, that's a good start, but take some time to think about his 'sanitary practice', and whether it is as good as it can be.
To actually answer your question, nope. I've never been refused.

If you had a bicuspid valve, you had a risk of infection and endocarditis with your original valve, so why worry now? : )

I got my first tattoo about two months before I had my first OHS. Got my second 1 1/2 years after that same surgery. Any respectable shop I've ever walked in all had to adhere to health codes and inspections in order to operate. The artist I've used in the past is a clean freak and had no problem showing me his common sanitary tattooing practices. But yeah I agree with you Tom. I have a mechanical valve now.
Yotphix, good to hear you haven't had any issues. Hope I have the same experience.

Latest posts

Back