so is anybody esle on 17mg........aday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, neighbor.. I am in Atlanta!
This has been discussed on here often. Some people take only 2 mg a day, others, like me take 10 mg a day, and you take more than that.. I am pretty sure there are those who take up to 20 mg/a day (correct me if I am wrong anyone). I do think that metabolism has something to do with it, mine is pretty quick, but I don't think that size does..? I am 8 inches shorter than you and at least 70 lbs. lighter but take 7 mg less.. sounds like a word problem, doesn't it? Also if you are active, that can affect it and if your diet is high in Vitamin K, you will require more. Basically what has always been said is that it does't matter how much you take, only that it is keeping you in range.

Hey Josh! Welcome aboard. I'm down to 10mg/day, but was on 18 for years. I think I may have gone as high as 25 in the early days. When I was younger, it took a lot more to keep me in range. How fast your liver metabolizes warfarin must be a big factor. I need more when I'm more active. Brian

I'm only about 5'6" and weigh a lot less than you but when I was permitted to stop coumadin (tissue valve), I was still not in range though taking 88 mg per week. I was headed to probably about 100 mg in order to get to 2.0 minimum. I never reached that and my surgeon let me stop at about 2.5 months. I metabolized it like crazy.

At the moment I take 15mg one day and 16mg the next. I have been as high as 26 - 28 mg per day, but since I've started using the Chi machine I've been able to decrease the dosage to 15 and 16 on alternate days.
It doesn't matter how much Coumadin you need to take to stay stable. What matters is that you dose the diet and not the other way around.

i hope as i get older they will get my on a lower dose
If you're worried that higher doses of warfarin are not good for you, don't. It's all about what your INR #'s are. You are in no more danger taking 20/day than someone who takes 5/day. Warfarin has little to no side effects on your body, outside of the anticoagulation action - which is why we take it! :D So we want that effect.

One thing to remember, if your INR is too high, it will drop more quickly with a held dose than those who take lower doses.

I take 10/day and I don't mind at all because I find it easy to tweak my dose with small adjustments to bring my INR in-line.

Activity and metabolism do play a part in how much you have to take.

what is a "chi machine"?

A friend of mine got me excited about this machine and I bought one last year May. Since I started using this machine I am using a lot less Coumadin and also lost 14 pounds. My Lymphatics are much better and I don't retain fluids in my lower left leg/foot because of Cellulitis. My husband and I use the Chi machine twice a day for 15 minutes at a time.
For more info: Go to my website: www.chinow.com/chriswink and click in Chi machine.

Hi Josh.Your dosage is perfectly fine. I've been on a high dosage ever since my surgery 4 years ago. Right now I'm taking 20 mgs on 5 days a week, and 22.5 mgs the other two days. I'm only 5 ' 2 " and weigh 145. My doctor says I must have a good liver since I metabolize so fast. ( P.S. I think it's from all the energy we must exert headbanging to Black Label Society, if you know what I mean! )

Hi Josh.Your dosage is perfectly fine. I've been on a high dosage ever since my surgery 4 years ago. Right now I'm taking 20 mgs on 5 days a week, and 22.5 mgs the other two days. I'm only 5 ' 2 " and weigh 145. My doctor says I must have a good liver since I metabolize so fast. ( P.S. I think it's from all the energy we must exert headbanging to Black Label Society, if you know what I mean! )

keep it metal lol

Back