World's First Awake Cardiac Bypass & Valve Surgery, India

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plan to head to that part of the world in january for avr. i'll post updates when the
time comes if anyone is interested.

Ummmmm....no thank you. It's bad enough being awake during childbirth and dental procedures! Knock me out and tell me about it later!

Seriously, this is amazing. Think what it will mean for patients who are too high risk for general anesthesia. I assume this is an epidural, which is commonly used for c-sections, only the needle would be inserted a little higher to numb the chest. I don't know about outpatient heart surgery, which they talk about at the end. Seems to me that it would be risky to send a patient home on the same day. Even 5 or 6 days later can be a problem with complications.

As long as they get the local right I don't see a problem for straight forward bypass and VR. I presume the patient is mildly sedated with some tranquiliser or other. For longer ops (my last one was 7 hours) it might be better to get knocked out, as laying there conscious for that length of time would be nigh on impossible.

Thanks but no thanks. If it goes bad you'll know it. Hell, I had them give me more juice during my last cath 2 weeks ago because I was too aware of what was going on.

Uh. No. No way. No how. No place. . . Hopefully this will benefit someone, but me. . . I want all the drugs . . .I want to fall asleep in my happy place and wake up when it all over!

:eek: Uh, no I don't think so. The happy juice didn't work for me so I was awake during a TEE and darn near cried. I'm pretty confident that I need to be in happy land and dreaming of gorgeous men......

As long as they get the local right I don't see a problem for straight forward bypass and VR.

Even "straight forward" procedures can go wrong.
Most CABGs and VRs are textbook procedures, with the speed bumps occurring during convalescence, but I can't imagine being on the OR table and hearing, "Oh, crap (or worse ;) )! She's bleeding! Quick, put her under!"

I'll take happy juice for the procedure.

The lines and tools are all in ready to knock the pt out and put them on pump bypass with an arrested heart if needed, I'm sure. I've had ACL reconstruction and other procedures with the epidural, they sedate you pretty well, they just don't anaesthetize you so your brain continues to manage breathing for you rather than depending on an anaesthetist/siologist and a respirator.

Back