today's test results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if it was all the antibiotic I was on?? The nurse had the lab test 2 times and even took a sample from my arm after the neck valve sample showed 6.8 and the arm sample was 6.7...... The nurse today didn't mention me taking anything, so I'm guessing I should talk to Dr McGiffin about it tomorrow, I know I don't want to clot or have a stroke! I want normal blood, wha wha. Yep, I'm whining again!!!!!

Many of us with sensitive stomaches take the Coumadin with our dinner around 6:00 pm
And also because I test my INR in the afternoon and then I can easily make a quick dose change if needed.
If your INR is indeed 1.2 why aren't you getting a lovenox shot? That is way too low.

Carole I'd call your Cardiologist today and tell him and ask about Lovenox until this issue is resolved. Yeah sure, you can go a couple days without much worry, but why risk it when it's not necessary?

Just talked to my cardiologist nurse and she said I should have the Lovenox and is trying to see where the doctor is , she actually said she was concerned the nurse didn't give the lovenox when I was 1.5 as well. I told her about my back pain issues as well and she is going to call me back, she was worried the pain might be a clot??? I sure hope not and hope he is around that I can see them or I guess it is the emeregency room.. I;ll post when I know more.... Thanks to all!!!

Carole:

Have you been recording your dosages per day and INRs and dates of tests? Most -- if not all -- of us here do so. Keeping a diary will help you see patterns in low and high INRs. By recording the dosage each day -- or when you change dosages -- and starting/stopping of medications, you can predict what will happen when you need to take those meds again and what adjustments you'll need to make, based on history.

Here's a link to pages you can print out and start a Coumadin diary:

http://www.coumadin.com/pdf/293US08WA03006_v10_DiaryCalendar_WEB.pdf

I've been getting the actual Coumadin diary booklets from my PCP's office and have used them since November 2003, when I began hometesting.

Just talked to my cardiologist nurse and she said I should have the Lovenox and is trying to see where the doctor is , she actually said she was concerned the nurse didn't give the lovenox when I was 1.5 as well. I told her about my back pain issues as well and she is going to call me back, she was worried the pain might be a clot??? I sure hope not and hope he is around that I can see them or I guess it is the emeregency room.. I;ll post when I know more.... Thanks to all!!!

It sounds like your Cardiologist's Nurse recognizes and understands your situation and what needs to be done.

Makes me wonder a bit about your Coumadin Clinic Nurse. Not suggesting Lovenox injections (they last 12 hours...needed 2X a day until INR is in range... dose is proportional to your weight) 'just to be safe' raises a red flag in my mind.

'AL Capshaw'

Well the cardiologists nurse was great and called in lovenox and I went to the Primed and he showed me how to do the shot, and did it for me. I won't be able to give it to myself but I know John will be able to.. Yep, she told me take twice a day every 12 hours until my INR is correct. I question the coumadin nurse as well... Yep, that is the one who said "TRUST ME", I didn't and of course now more than ever don't! I'm guessing the cardiologist nurse will talk to her. The coumadin clinic is part of the cardiologist, it is upstairs!!!! So, I've got a shot in me and then John will have to give them to me until I get right, guess I better be really nice to him since he'll be holding the needle, LOL!!!!

Nope, don't think I can do it, even for the rush, LOL!!!! I'll let John take care of it!

Am I the only lunatic here the loves to give himself Lovenox shots? It's such a rush.

Nope, don't think I can do it, even for the rush, LOL!!!! I'll let John take care of it!

For all the other weanies :pout there. I'm with Carole on this. I've never had to use Lovenox....didn't even know what is was until I joined this forum. Hopefully, I'll get thru a few more years without having to worry about it...but if I ever need one, my wife is a retired RN and she would love to put a needle in me:eek:.

Why are you taking such a low dose? It seems to me it sould be more. Anyhow good luck getting it worked out & I agree with everyone else about the Lovenox

Wow - what a day! I just got caught up with this thread. Carole - glad you got the Lovenox. (Give yourself a few years of doing finger sticks and I bet you could give yourself a shot then.)

I'm a bit unclear as to what your daily dose was prior to your result today (once you started back on warfarin) - but I won't ask - others seem to understand.

I can't say I blame the clinic nurse for not bumping you up too much because who knows what bizarre things were affecting your INR in the hospital. But she should have put you on the Lovenox - particularly since it's your mitral valve that was replaced. The good thing is that it's an On-X.

I predict that in a few years you're going to be the "go to" person for complex INR issues due to all this fast experience you're getting.

Keep track of all your INR's and doses that correspond with them. It may even help to graph it out so you can see trends.

Back