tips for getting a good blood draw??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

ssenner

hi, i have been home testing my 3yr. old for about 6 months now and have such a hard time getting a big enough blood drop for our coaguchek xs. i run his hands under warm water for a while then massage the finger, from the base and hold his hand down at his side until i am ready to poke him. i rarely can get a test the first time. i end up using 2-3 test strips before i get a big enough blood drop, and this results in a few different fingers being poked, which doesn't make him happy. once i poke the finger i squeeze it to get the blood to come out or milk it a bit, is this the right thing to do? if it weren't for having to do it in 15 sec. i could get a good drop as after a while a good drop comes out on its own. sometimes i squeeze and squeeze and nothing comes out, of course all this squeezing makes him mad, which i don't blame him! i am so frustrated by this and just hate to test him, if the hospital near us had a finger poke machine i would be going in to do it there instead of messing with it myself. are there any gel hand warmers available that i could warm his hands with? just looking for anything that might help! thanks in advance for taking the time to respond. shasta

Years ago, the nurse at the hospital needed a blood smear from my son, and she took it from his heel.....yea the bottom of his foot, cause his fingers where too tiny.
Check with doctor and see if you can get the drop of blood you need from the foot.
Hope he's not too ticklish :)

ssenner said:
hi, i have been home testing my 3yr. old for about 6 months now and have such a hard time getting a big enough blood drop for our coaguchek xs. i run his hands under warm water for a while then massage the finger, from the base and hold his hand down at his side until i am ready to poke him. i rarely can get a test the first time. i end up using 2-3 test strips before i get a big enough blood drop, and this results in a few different fingers being poked, which doesn't make him happy. once i poke the finger i squeeze it to get the blood to come out or milk it a bit, is this the right thing to do? if it weren't for having to do it in 15 sec. i could get a good drop as after a while a good drop comes out on its own. sometimes i squeeze and squeeze and nothing comes out, of course all this squeezing makes him mad, which i don't blame him! i am so frustrated by this and just hate to test him, if the hospital near us had a finger poke machine i would be going in to do it there instead of messing with it myself. are there any gel hand warmers available that i could warm his hands with? just looking for anything that might help! thanks in advance for taking the time to respond. shasta

Dear Shasta,
I remember when I first started home testing, (I don't know how long you've been home testing?) I too ruined so many test strips it wasn't funny! :eek: It seemed that everytime I was going to test, I would start stressing about it & that would cause my blood to like freeze up & I couldn't force anything out no matter what I did. So, I just started relaxing more & more beforehand & it started working! Also, I test when I'm doing dishes; the warm, soapy water makes it easier for me to get a good drop & too, I find that after I rinse my hands, if I swing my arm a good few swings prior to the stick, I get a good drop. Try it & see if it works for you; relax, relax.

Good luck to you!:)

One of the members suggested using a small rubber-band on the finger you are going to stick. I started doing that and it really does help. I let my arm hang down until I'm ready to put the strip into the XS. I take a small rubber-band and wrap it once or twice around the finger, just above the 1st joint. It makes the finger "puff up" and when the meter starts it's countdown, it do the finger stick. Also, the XS machine allows for side application of the sample. I find that works great. I do the stick towards the side of the finger and then apply whatever amount of blood comes out to the side of the strip. It just pulls it in and no need to getting it to "hang" and drop. I've home tested for more than 3 years and find my new XS machine much easier to use. Hope this helps.

Low fluid levels translate to low blood volume.

It might help to make sure he drinks a glass of water a few hours before you are going to test.

One of the tech's at my Coumadin Clinic pinches the finger on the nail and bottom to form a 'bubble' on the side which seems to help, not to mention prevent the sticker from hitting the bone!

Are you using an adjustable 'sticker'?
Maybe you need to go to the next level...

'AL Capshaw'

I was going to ask this exact same question. I've only had my Coagucheck XS now for a few weeks, and although the first time I used it, it worked fine, every other time I've been getting this blood error number code come up and I've wasted at least 6 strips. So the error must be because I'm not dropping enough blood into the semi circle right?

Jeff.

ssenner said:

I have to apologize to you Shasta because in my earlier post, I didn't realize that the testing was for your 3-yr old & not for yourself. Sorry about that! :eek:

Gosh, I don't even know what to recommend for your child! God knows that it's hard enough for you to get them to sit still just to comb their hair, let alone trying to prick their finger to draw blood! :eek: And the fact that he's anticipating the pain of the prick too is probably a big factor in "why" you can't get much of a draw because he tightens up so to speak.

Have you tried turning it into a game, (yeah sick game!) to try to get him to relax & perhaps if he knows that if he sits still & lets mommie get a good draw, there's a reward in it for him? I'm sorry, I don't know what else to suggest, I just wish you luck & lots of patience! :)

For a 3 year old I would sample finger with TENDERLETT TODDLER ( from ITC and supplied by QAS) which has 0.85mm incision depth and 0.46 incision width. Hold finger till good drop forms( have someone else hold the toddler) and then use a capillary tube to collect the blood which you then squirt accurately on to the test strip. Capillary tubes are disributed in USA by Roche Diagnostics Indianapolis,IN. Catalog # 461.
We advise holding the toddler on the lap of an adult. The arm should be held as if the patient were seated in a chair. This position optimizes the blood pressure in the finger tip giving good venous perfusion. Positions with the arm higher or lower than described tend to reduce blood flow.
This is a two man job ,one person to hold the toddler on his lap and keep the arm properly positioned ,and the second person to hold the finger, sample the blood into the capillary tube.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I did forget to mention that i do use the capillary tubes. Tried at first to just drop it from his finger but that was impossible with a wiggly little boy! To JCSydney: yes, the error is probably because you aren't putting enough blood on the strip, that is the same error i get all the time. Also, you can apply the blood to the strip from the side of the test strip. I tried the rubber band around his finger last week and it worked great! I got the most blood from him that i have ever got so, maybe give that a try. Good luck and try not to get as frustrated as I have been! Hopefully with the rubber band trick, my frustrations will be greatly reduced! Thanks again to all! Shasta

Hi Shasta, We are not at this stage yet and may never be if our son gets a repair. Glad you brought up this as i have got some tips, if needed. This is the part i will be dreading my son is 10 and scared of blood, so trying to get him to prick his finger will be a nightmare. Just wondering do you leave the band on when you prick the finger or take it off before?. Glad it worked well for your son, best wishes.

JCSydney said:
I was going to ask this exact same question. I've only had my Coagucheck XS now for a few weeks, and although the first time I used it, it worked fine, every other time I've been getting this blood error number code come up and I've wasted at least 6 strips. So the error must be because I'm not dropping enough blood into the semi circle right?

Jeff.
Jeff, I have done 20 home tests on my Coagucheck XS and never wasted a strip.
I stick the third or fourth finger on my left hand. I set my lancer on #3.
With palm up, I stick it just slightly to the right of the finger tip pad.
Squeeze or massage the finger a bit to form a good drop of blood.
Hold it to the left side of the test strip for a couple of seconds and the machine will draw the blood in.
This method is foolproof, I guarantee it.:)

Hey Jeff, just follow Bina's advice and you should be fine.

I have a Coaguchek XS too, and when I first got it I did waste a few strips trying to do tests, mainly for the same reason you state - not getting a good enough blood drop. It was pretty frustrating especially as I have to pay for the strips myself and they are not cheap:( :(

But practice makes perfect as they say - just keep persevering. I still always apply the blood drop to the top of the strip - haven't applied it to the side yet but might try it next time.

Anyway, good luck:)

Bridgette

I had the same problem but solved it by cutting deeper into the finger until you get this burning sensation. Then you're deep enough and blood will flow easily. Just increase the depth of the CoaguChek Softclix by turning it.

tip from gp and nurse

tip from gp and nurse

gosh, i had this problem at first, i had test strips flying everywhere! it was just 7 days after my operation and i found it quite upsetting

my doctor told me to soak my hand in a basin/bowl of very warm water for a few minutes which would increase the flow of blood.

later his nurse helped me with a test and said it was a good idea to use a finger with soft skin. e.g. first finger from the small finger. she said skin on the two finger closest to the thumb had toughened skin which made it harder to extract blood

at the hospital i was taught to drop my blood on to the top of the test strip; i found this impossible. the nurse told me to draw the blood in from the side, a much better way.

after this short training session, i have never had a problem

good luck!!

Apologies to Ssenner for hijacking the thread, thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help, I have to take my INR tomorrow, so I'll stay positive and try again.

Jeff.

Perrypiratesdad

Perrypiratesdad

It really isn't hard to hit a bone with a blood draw. It happens from time to time in people who are very thin as well as with small children.

Blanche

I have found that drinking alot of water and exercise help alot for getting my blood drawn. I still do the lab draw and it works pretty good everytime.
I only have certain lab techs that I let draw my blood. So makes it somewhat easier. :rolleyes:
Oh yes I had a lab tech at the hospital that hit a nerve in my wrist. I think I was going to go through the roof. I kindly had him leave and I asked for another tech. That pain lasted for two days what ever he hit HURT!!!!!

Blanche, it just seems strange to me, but I guess you are right. I don't have large hands or fingers (average size), but I guess if you are using an adult sized lancet on a child, I could see it happening. I'm just thankful it doesn't happen to me as it would hurt.

Hi Jeff
I too had the same problem, but if you prick the side of your finger and move the machine so your blood is touching the side of the strip, the strip will draw it in. Try to move the machine to the finger not the finger to the machine. It works much better.
Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back