OMG! My dryer actually ate a sock!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygirlmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I thought sock-eating was an urban legend. You know, it seems like the dryer ate your sock, but it's really hiding behind the hamper.

But last night one pair of socks was still a little wet after the others were dry. so I spun them around for a few more minutes. I just went to get them and.... one is gone.

What's more, I can't figure out how it could have escaped!

It's no urban legend. There is a sock-eating monster running about. I must have 100 dark socks and not a single one matches. The matching ones have been munched by the sock monster in the dead of night. :p:D

Nope, no sock stealing monsters here.....in over 30 yrs of doing laundry, there has never been a sock that could escape me. I put them in as pairs and they come out as pairs!

So - maybe the sock monster only lives in the US?;):D

Yours for $15.95

KAM697.jpg

nope it isn't a legend. I raised three children, they all moved away and have children of their own, and all lost bunches of socks during their residency at home, but the sock monster still resides here.

You might want to check your lint screen (especially if it's got holes in it) and your vent pipe. It probably didn't actually disappear and it could be a fire hazard.

Your friendly internet sock monster buster;),

You might want to check your lint screen (especially if it's got holes in it) and your vent pipe. It probably didn't actually disappear and it could be a fire hazard.

Your friendly internet sock monster buster;),

Egads! If all my missing socks were in the vent pipe, my house would have been toast by now.:eek:

But this raises a serious question: How do you check the full length of your dryer vent pipe? (I know, you would think something who calls himself Superbob would know the answer. :D) Anyway, I honestly wonder: Should you call some sort of service person to clean out the dryer vent? If so, how often? (I check both ends of it, but there is a lot of length in between.)

Egads! But this raises a serious question: How do you check the full length of your dryer vent pipe?

I can't figure out how the sock escaped. There are only two openings: one is solidly covered with a piece of metal with little round holes waaaaaaaay too little for a sock to get through, and the other is the lint thing, which the sock would have had to lift out to get into the slot into which it fits.

Hmmmm..... does that thing raise up during drying? If so, how? There aren't any hydraulics or moving parts of any kind in there.

I know how to check the length of the pipe, but I'll need my husband to move the dryer to get to it.

SuperBob, You can call a service person to come clean out your dryer and vent. If you've never done it, you won't believe all that comes out. When I was a little girl, half of our house burned down because of lint in the dryer hose catching on fire. Can you imagine 4 kids and 2 adults living in 2 hotel rooms for 4 months while they rebuilt our house? My sibilings and I thought it was great...I'm sure my parents thought it was hell on earth!

Kim

We replaced ours...

We replaced ours...

Superbob, you can buy a replacement at Home Depot, easy to disconnect at the drier and the vent opening to outside. When you are attaching, don't extend the entire vent thingy to avoid kinks. We replaced ours when it seemed to take longer to dry clothes.....you don't want to look in there.........:)

Thanks Kim and Louise. I think I will call Lowe's (that's where we bought the dryer) and see if they have vent-cleaning service or can recommend it.

Still, no amount of service will eradicate the Sock Monster. :D

Oh good,...the sock monster has moved to the USA!!!!...he used to live at my house ...he is a rotten mongrel and used to steal hubbys expensive work socks!

My son along with his wife and three children live out of state and they too have a sock monster. There is a what appears to be a hamper full of socks and no they don't match up. I tried.:confused:

At least you have a logical reason for the dryer having the sock to begin with. Last week we had the ac serviced. The repair man found 3 scunciis and a bandana in the intake vent?:confused:We still don't know how these thing s got there.

Lettitia

There is a very sensible green solution to this. ;)

Go retro, hand wash socks and then peg them out on a line to dry.

Save your socks and save the planet to boot.

Latest posts

Back