New guy with Aortic Dissection question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Taranjit

Hi Taranjit

Great bod...:D You are the same age as my son....But reading thru your past threads.cannot figure out..exactly....what are your heart problems...Can you post your problems.....Like..what valve are you having problems with... I did see where you are going every 3 months to your Cardiologist..Good for you...They have many tests that can keep on top of things....Some day..I am going to make a calendar for Valvereplacement.com..and will put you on the cover:D :D :D Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
thanks for the kind words :)..

My condition is congenital bicuspid aortic valve... I found that out some 7-8 years ago in a routine medical check.. now it is at a point where an AVR does not seem to be a remote possibility... Left ventricle is somewhat dilated, ejection fraction is somewhat dropping, regurgitation is also becoming more severe (2-3), my aortic root is also somewhat dilated at 4.2cm..

Beacuse bodybuilding is a very big part of my life, I have an additional responsibility of ensuring my valve's health (and my life), as well as my mental health (i.e. bodybuilding)... It is hurtful to see that most people like us (i.e. BAV/AVR) do not understand why someone like me would like to keep lifting weights.. they think I should just be glad by remaining alive type of mentality (which of course I am and know value of life is supreme)... they would rather call this a disorder of some kind having this type of ambition (i.e. lifting weights) in this type of circumstances (i.e. BAV/AVR)... I remember the first time I found this site out and published a message wondering if one can bodybuild with BAV/AVR, I got some rude comments..

anyways, thanks for your concerns..
taranjit

Follow-up

Follow-up

I guess the PA wanted to cover her bases, so she set me up with my regular cardio. I wasn't sure what to expect. He seems quite conservative and I assumed I?d get the "don't lift over 50 lbs speech" or even worse, the ambiguous "don't strain yourself". I even considered not bringing it up. Actually I didn?t. I did have one question for him in that I wanted to know what ?number? to look at on the echo that might indicate damage or pending aortic dissection. He said there was none and why did I care. That let the cat out of the bag. Boy was I surprised. He seemed quite knowledgeable on the subject and indicated that with my health I had no restrictions, either in the gym or on the track. He did say stay away from the usual gym ?supplements?. He described these as steroids (any anabolic agents actually), caffeine, thermogenics, ephedra and any ephedra ?like? substances. Mostly things that will raise bp. He seemed to think that I was concerned and that a chest CT would give a good look at the aorta. I?ll get that Wednesday. Regardless, I was starting to hate the 12-15 rep scheme. It?s back to lower reps and real weight. Thanks to all who commented. Happy and prosperous new year! Dave

Results of the CT showed no abnormalities with the Aorta. While they were there they looked around at the lungs, gallbladder, kidneys, etc. Said I was unremarkable. I guess I'm taking that personally:mad: I thought I was pretty remarkable:cool:

I'm glad to hear of your results. I'm sure you are relieved too. I had a follow-up CT of my chest last week when I was in the hospital. It came back unchanged from the last one so I am "stable with no futher progression of scarring". It was the just the best news and still causes me to smile.

Latest posts

Back