Mystery location

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaco Canyon is the correct place. Pueblo Bonito is one of the spectacular portions of the site. I think Bina's husband is correct in that more specific identification, but I couldn't positively say so from my own knowledge as I got too psyched taking pictures to keep track of exactly where I was.

The people who inhabited Chaco Canyon are often referred to as Anasazi in the literature. This term is not favored by most native Americans. There is apparently significant evidence that the term Anaszasi would be translated as "ancient enemy".

The butte I referred to earlier is now called Fajada Butte. It contains what is often referred to as the "sun dagger', which allowed the people of Chaco canyon to predict many important astronomical events. It is an amazing thing to read. You can get a lot of good information through Google, but I would be careful to check the source.

A Unique Solar Marking Construct

By Anna Sofaer, Volker Zinser, and Rolf M. Sinclair

Reprinted with permission from Science, 19 October 1979, Volume 206, Number 4416 pp. 283-291. Copyright 1979 American Association for the Advancement of Science. Readers may view, browse, and/or download this material for temporary copying purposes only, provided these uses are for noncommercial personal purposes. Except as provided by law, this material may not be further reproduced, distributed, transmitted, modified, adapted, performed, displayed, published, or sold in whole or in part, without prior written permission from AAAS. www.sciencemag.org

"The Fajada Butte construct is unique in archeoastronomy as the only device known to use the passage of the midday sun to create a solar calendar. Precisely planned relationships of curved rock surfaces make possible the transformation of the horizontal movement of the sun in to vertical movement of light forms that provide accurate measurements of solar positions. Thus, with no reliance on fore sights or horizon markers, the construct is a self-contained instrument that records the sun's changing declination. It shows the times of solstice and equinox in vividly symbolic imagery of light and shadow and provides solar (and lunar) information at other times in the year. While the construct achieves its results with an accuracy comparable to that of the large monuments and structures of other ancient cultures, it does so with a subtle integration with nature that is typical of the North American Indian culture

Finally, we wish to note that the soft sandstone material of the construct is fragile and can easily be damaged. We hope that efforts will be made to preserve this unusual feature of the Native American heritage."

Here are some pretty good pictures:

http://accad.osu.edu/~aprice/solstice/fajada.html

A good hint that went right over my head. The potential for Mayan influence at Chaco is fascinating, and a little controversial. Certain violent aspects of Mayan and/or Aztec cultures are anathema to modern Pueblo tribes.

Dennis,
I envy the fact that you live so close.
If you haven't already read it, you might enjoy 'The House of Rain'. I believe it was written by Cline.... I'm not positive though. I've loaned my copy out.

Latest posts

Back