How old is too old?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone. You have put me at ease and now I am in action mode! My gram and dad are in Barnegat, NJ (1 hr from Philly) I just talked to them and unfortunately the doctor hasn't been in yet with any update but they had suggested she go to Deborah Heart and Lung Center in NJ if she needs surgery. Does anyone have any experience here?

I also mentioned to my Dad that Dr. Barvaria was suggested by my forum friends. Lo and behold he is my dad's cardiologist!! Crazy. I told him to call him and see what he says about the situation.

My Gram is a very independent, Italian woman who doesn't like to be sick so my only worry with OHS would be her mental state of needing help and pushing herself too much during recovery. I would love it if they could do it through a cath! Oh and 92 sounds old but her sister is 96 and her Mom live to 99 1/2 (she didn't want to have Willard Scott announce that she was 100 on air-very proud)!

Again thank you for the advice and encouragement.

We live in South Jersey too, but preferred CHOP/HUP to Deborah. Barnegate is beautiful, we live in Camden County

At 43, it almost killed me (I had complicating factors). But my Dad had OHS at 63 and went home 4 days later - he's 85 now. So, as others have mentioned, survival is more about overall health.

I think it's easy to argue this point either way on paper, but I have to ask - how does your mother feel about it?

Wishing her and you the best....

I had an aunt that had aortic valve replacement in her late 80's and lived until 95 (died of something else).

I know a woman whose mother-in-law just had aortic valve replacement in December at 88 years old, and she is home and doing fine.

At 43, it almost killed me (I had complicating factors). But my Dad had OHS at 63 and went home 4 days later - he's 85 now.

I with Johnny, I was 55, in excellent health and it almost kill me from complications.

While I was in the hospital my wife met several families of people in their 80's that had normal AVR, with no complications.

Myself, I wouldn't have it done if I was 92... well, that's what I say now but I'm not 92.

Theresa, my best wishes to your grandmother and you.

A colleague at works' grandmother had a valve replacement and by-pass last Thursday at age 90. She's still in the hospital but doing fine. As I understand it, she was in otherwise good health for her age so I guess the cardio and surgeon thought it was worth the risk.

This past Sunday on sixty minutes I think they showed a 91 year old nun that had AVR by cath. I think she spent one day in the hospital and is back teaching now.So age is no barrier if shes in good health.Good-Luck!!!!

My surgeon mentioned he had done surgery on patients as old as 92. I think each case has to be decided based on a number of factors with age being only one of them. Sorta like tissue vs mechanical...whoops did I say that?:D

This past Sunday on sixty minutes I think they showed a 91 year old nun that had AVR by cath. I think she spent one day in the hospital and is back teaching now.So age is no barrier if shes in good health.Good-Luck!!!!

but that is a big difference than OHS

My Gram is a very independent, Italian woman who doesn't like to be sick so my only worry with OHS would be her mental state of needing help and pushing herself too much during recovery. I would love it if they could do it through a cath! Oh and 92 sounds old but her sister is 96 and her Mom live to 99 1/2 (she didn't want to have Willard Scott announce that she was 100 on air-very proud)!

Again thank you for the advice and encouragement.
She sounds like my 96 year old great grandmother,she is a little shaky,
but she lives on her own and is very independent,strong minded and has
always been so. It seems these ladies are very special,I know I can't hold
a torch to them. But my Grt Gran would want to make her own decision,
so I say give her all the facts and information that you can and let her
decide,then stand behind her no matter her decision as long as she is
able to absorb all the facts--God knows its hard for a middle aged person
to do it. Also is there any other procedure that may be done to aid her
narrowing Aorta,or to slow down the process of it atleast?
I wish you and your grandmother the very best-

Latest posts

Back