First Triathlon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkU

Doing my first triathlon on Feb 1st. 400 meter swim (in the YMCA 50 meter outdoor pool), 13 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run.
Been training for about six months. Swimming one day per week; biking and running for 30-60 min/day on alternate days. I was a competitive swimmer growing up so that part is easy for me. The run is my toughest part for me - I don't exactly have the prototypical runner's physique (short and stocky). Will be happy with to just stick to my plodding 10 min/mile pace.
My goal is to finish, not race anybody or worry about my time. (at least I should place in the Over 50/St Jude division!)
Depending on how it goes, I am looking at the next race in April. That one includes an open water swim in the Gulf of Mexico - much more difficult than the pool...

Mark

Thanks for the encouragement Bill.

My biggest supporter has been my 22 year old daughter, who is a long distance runner. She is running in a half marathon up in Ocala at the same time as my triathlon, and we plan to call each other as soon as we're both done.

I should also mention that my cardiologist has also been very supportive and feels that my new workout regimen is much better than all the weightlifting I used to do (I still do some light lifting 2-3 days per week.)

Planning today to do a bike ride followed by a one mile run to see how the 50 year old legs take the transition.

Mark

Mark, I'd be out there with you, but I never enjoyed swimming. As a kid, I didn't have enough body fat to float, just sank like a rock so it was just too much work to enjoy the swim. Maybe I'll find a biathlon that just includes the bike ride and run?

It is being held at the new Potter Park YMCA complex. I understand that the bike and run portions will wind back through the Palmer Ranch area.

Mark

Mark,

Hope you have a great tri. Isn't it wonderful being in south Florida where we can get out year-round!

I do road cycling, but not racing. I did my second post-op metric century (62 mi) with my wife just before Christmas on A1A along the Ocean. It was fantastic. I have a new bike on order and a new goal, to do my first full century.

-- roy --

Mark, I'll send this thread to son, Chuckles and he'll keep watch for the news......

Roy - brag, brag, brag - oh, how I miss south Florida right now. Enjoy every beautiful day of it..your short description sure brings back those days at the beach.

How long after your surgery did you start training?
I am having my surgery this week and would like to get a good idea on how long it takes.
I missed the Lake Tahoe Century (America's most beautiful bike ride) two years now. Won't be able to to that one this year but was thinking of doing one or a half century in August or so. i am not a racer but I do pretty well.
I'm supposed to be taking my boys backpacking about then too.
Always wanted to do a triathalon

Joe Parker
AVR replacement
Date: Jan 21st, 2004
Mt. Diablo Hospital, Concord, CA
St. Jude (don't let me down) valve

Joe,
I started working out again about three months after my surgery.
It took me about nine months before I really felt 100% and had my stamina back.
My limitations now are becoming more due to age (50) than anything related to my heart.

Mark
:)

Recovery time

Recovery time

Joe

I had different surgery from you and Mark, but I'd say it took me about 7-8 months before I really started to feel OK. I did some short triathlons at months 5,6 but I was really awful and felt like cr*p. Olympic distance tri at month 7 was OK, and then 4 day bike ride in the Adirondacks in month 8 worked pretty well. ADK trip was just a joy ride, and I kept my heart rate down using granny gears and rests when I needed them. I found that if I kept my HR from getting out of hand, I could go all day.

If your experience is like mine, those August activities will be right around the time you turn the corner on feeling good. Caveat: everybody's experience seems to be a little different.

I hope your surgery goes well, and that you are free of any complications. Don't scratch those events off the calendar...think of them as a goal to motivate your reahab (scheduled events were a powerful motivator for me). Make an honest assessment of yourself later this summer, then use good judgement on whether or not to participate.

Prayers and best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Note to MarkU: You're just a kid! Ya gotta stop w/ that self-limiting attitude about age ;)

Triathlete too...

Triathlete too...

Hi Mark

Good on you for getting out there and back into it! I come from a background of distance running and got into triathlons in my mid 30's culminating in two Ironmans when I was 37-38.

Now I'm waiting for AVR and get puffed walking around the block! Triathlons seem a long way away...

Let us know how you get on - I live in Melbourne Australia, but did most of my competing when I lived in 'scenic' i.e. "hilly" New Zealand!

Kind regards

Grant (fka "The Faster Pastor")

Ironman

Ironman

Grant -

My hat is off to you for 2x IM NZ! What an accomplishment! I've managed 0.5 IM so far...it was tough, and I can't imagine doubling the distance.

Hope you can resume triathlon after surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill - I feel great; it's my right knee that's the problem. Proverbial old football injury from my high school years. Keeps me from running anything longer than a 5K. I will likely need to get it fixed one of these days.

Grant - I was the same way prior to my surgery; couldn't exert myself at all without getting out of breath. That was one of the first things I noticed after my AVR. In fact, I didn't realize how bad I really felt prior to my surgery until afterwards when I could finally breathe again...

Mark

First Triathlon - I finished!

First Triathlon - I finished!

Just got back from my "tri". Finished well back in the pack, but I made it to the end!
In spite of telling myself to take it easy on the swim, I went out way too fast and struggled through the final 200yds. Had to do some breaststroke and backstroke to get my wind back.
Felt good on the bike. We did two laps of a 6.5 mile loop and I got lapped by the front runners, but did manage to pass some people and make up for my slow swim.
The 5K run was tough, my wind was good, but my legs were shot from the bike ride. They felt like a couple of stiff boards for the first two miles. Finally started to feel good in the last 1/4 mile.
The other competitors were super - everyone was encouraging everyone else. (I did get a few funny looks when we were lining up for the swim and people would notice my scar...)
I may crash tonight, but it feels pretty good right now!

Mark
:D

Way to go , Mark. Congratulations on your finish. You are an encouragement to all of us who are still healing. When I would finish "well back in the pack" in events such as yours I was still enormously pleased that I had completed what I set out to do. And I like your "over 50/St. Jude division." That's a great idea!

Great Job!

Great Job!

Congrats, Mark -- and thanks for the update!

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. So what's the verdict? You gonna do the April event?

Bill

Way to finish. Thats whats most important. You are giving encouragement to the rest of us who want to get out there and do the same.

Joe Parker
Aortic Valve Replacement
01/21/2004
St. Jude 27mm
Mt. Diablo Hospital, Concord CA
Dr. Sommerhaug

Latest posts

Back