Addicted to testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This may be one of the strangest threads I've posted.

I'm asking about being 'addicted' to testing the INRs, and I don't think I've gotten it THAT badly yet. I still test every week or two - although I have the supplies to do it more often. I don't go overboard in the number or the frequency of the tests I make.

But I REALLY ENJOY the feeling of empowerment that it gives me each time I prepare for a test, each time I do the test, and each time I record the results on my spreadsheet. I don't think I'm getting an endorphin rush from a tiny incision in my finger. I don't know that there is anything 'physical' that's happening -- but I really enjoy the feeling of doing the test, reviewing the test, and being able to do a test at all.

I won't ask if this is crazy.

Does anyone else have similar feelings about doing their own INR testing?

It is empowering to be able to test your own INR! No more having to rely on technicians or doctors to tell you to "lay off the greens"!!! I absolutely hated to hear the lab dr say that!!!

I test once a week and have been for the last three years. If I'm high or low, I tweak the dose accordingly and don't even mess with my diet! I eat my greens as I please!!!

Stay well & happy testing! :)

Thanks, N Jean.

I don't work very hard on staying well (maybe I should work harder at it), but I do enjoy being able to test - weekly or bi-weekly - or whenever I think I may have done something that can raise or drop my INR. I wouldn't think that, in anyone's case, weekly testing is excessive - even if you're stable, it's still good to know that you're STAYING stable. Testing every two or three or four weeks may be just fine -but I wonder if it's more of a financial issue (why pay for a test when you're stable and don't need to test so often?) than just one more confirmation that you're still on target. (And, for myself, if suddenly my INR should jump or drop enough to be a problem, I'll know sooner rather than later and be able to make adjustments I may not otherwise know were necessary).

N Jean, stay well.

Ptime,

I'm a newbie and plan to become a home tester. I think I'd like to test weekly and have just been cleared by the clinic to test monthly. I hope to get a test unit soon and get started.

Doug

I was more addicted to testing when I first got my machine!! Oh, yes, I loved that empowering feeling and that I was on top of it! But not anymore. I sometimes forget to test every week these days and I am OK with it...I do it when I remember!

I was more addicted to testing when I first got my machine!! Oh, yes, I loved that empowering feeling and that I was on top of it! But not anymore. I sometimes forget to test every week these days and I am OK with it...I do it when I remember!

I want to be like Eva.

Actually, since I got my meter last April, I've gone weeks between tests-having forgotten to check my spreadsheet (or meter) for the date of my last test. I think that, now that I have enough strips for weekly (or more often) testing, I'm not as hesitant to test every week or two.

Tonight I'm making a slight concession out of curiosity. I went for about 26 hours with no food and minimal water, and I'm curious to see if this had ANY effect on my INR. This means tests TWO DAYS IN A ROW. Whatever my results, I have no plans to change my dosage -- it's been 49 a week for months, and I'm assuming that this little glitch in my schedule a) won't have much effect; b) if there is ANY effect, it will be short term once my hydration is adequate; and c) the dosage that has been working for me will continue to work for me if there IS a glitch. If all's within a few points of my reading yesterday, I'll probably test in a week or two. (Yesterday I had a 2.8)

Perhaps I've got a little of Eva in me, too. I haven't used my Protime meter for a while - it's a bit of a challenge that I enjoy while I'm learning to get good tests on the CoaguChek S. Once I'm REALLY USED to the machine, I'll probably get lazy and test every two weeks or so (once I decide which tester to use).

Yesterday, it was 2.8. Today, after no food or drink for 26 or so hours, it's 2.5 -- not significant enough a difference to concern me.

I'll probably test in a week or two -- my strips will expire before I use them up if I'm on a weekly schedule - so weekly wouldn't be too bad - even if slightly unnecessary.

Actually, since I got my meter last April, I've gone weeks between tests-having forgotten to check my spreadsheet (or meter) for the date of my last test. I think that, now that I have enough strips for weekly (or more often) testing, I'm not as hesitant to test every week or two.

Tonight I'm making a slight concession out of curiosity. I went for about 26 hours with no food and minimal water, and I'm curious to see if this had ANY effect on my INR. This means tests TWO DAYS IN A ROW. Whatever my results, I have no plans to change my dosage -- it's been 49 a week for months, and I'm assuming that this little glitch in my schedule a) won't have much effect; b) if there is ANY effect, it will be short term once my hydration is adequate; and c) the dosage that has been working for me will continue to work for me if there IS a glitch. If all's within a few points of my reading yesterday, I'll probably test in a week or two. (Yesterday I had a 2.8)

Perhaps I've got a little of Eva in me, too. I haven't used my Protime meter for a while - it's a bit of a challenge that I enjoy while I'm learning to get good tests on the CoaguChek S. Once I'm REALLY USED to the machine, I'll probably get lazy and test every two weeks or so (once I decide which tester to use).

I won't say that you may get lazy and test every 2 weeks; I would say you get over the "high power" feeling and testing becomes a simple routine, with a joyful result!

Good luck.:)

In my case, about 10-12 months ago, when I had only the one ProTime meter and strips that were about to expire, if it wasn't laziness, it was just not keeping the testing at a high enough priority to want to do it REGULARLY every couple weeks. (I also tend to reduce my testing frequency when my supply of strips is getting low).

What should work for me, and may work for others who can handle weekly testing, is to set up a SPECIFIC day of the week, and probably also a general time for the testing, and make it a habit. I use a PDA for tracking a lot of things - but I haven't put a nag on my calendar for testing.

Perhaps I got somewhat complacent about testing because my INR was pretty stable, so it didn't seem as important to test as frequently (and, even at 2 or 3 weeks, this wasn't outside of testing guidelines). I found that I wasn't really complacent about testing -- once my meter would no longer use my expired strips, I got a new set so that I could continue testing. I REALLY HATE the feeling of being way overdue for a test, and being able to test regularly takes a whole lot of psychic pressure off.

Latest posts

Back