what a great idea!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylviayasgur

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hi everyone out there!
since we love to eat in our house, i guess i'll start by sharing one of our favorite recipes. we have been eating fairly low fat and low salt (we don't add any and watch what we use, i.e. no or very little soy sauce, etc. and we check labels for sodium content too). we eat mostly chicken and pasta and now that joey is temporarily on coumadin, we watch in that dept. too. in addition, we love recipes that are easy and cook themselves!

actually, i have to give credit for this recipe to my mom. my dad has a st. jude's valve (7/99) and had double bypass along with it. they have done it all (pritikin, etc) and eat fairly carefully...... here goes.... joey loooooves this chicken!!
ingredients:

1 chicken cut up in parts
approx. 2 tablespoons sugar
approx. 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion (we like vidalias)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery (optional)
any other veggies are optional as well
garlic powder
ground black pepper

1. wash chicken and prep by removing all skin from chicken
2. in a large frying pan warm olive oil and add sugar. mix sugar and oil until sugar starts to turn golden (not brown though).
3. add chicken pieces and brown (very brown) on both sides.
4. when chicken is browned, add all cut up vegetables (onion, carrots, pepper, celery and whatever else you would like to add).
5. cover pan and let simmer for an hour, mixing up the veggies in between.
6. add pepper and garlic powder to taste.
(for those not watching salt intake, you can add a few teaspoons of tamari sauce for additional flavor_ we don"t)

a nice gravy-like sauce should form and we usually prepare rice to go along with this dish.

hope you like it as much as we do! enjoy!
-sylvia

Low salt steak sauce (hot)

Low salt steak sauce (hot)

I made this for Joe when he was on diet which was almost no salt.

Steak Sauce (Hot)

1 small can tomato paste
2 small cans water
1/3 Cup Karo syrup
1/3 stick butter
1 Jalapena pepper chopped with seeds
1/2 onion chopped
grated rind of 1/2 orange
1 Tab. Kitchen Bouquet
1 and 1/2 teas. celery flakes
1 teas. garlic powder
2 Tab. wine vinegar
1 teas. dry mustard
2 Tab. sugar or to taste

Cook for about 10 minutes at medium heat, adding water if needed. Then blend up with a stick blender.

Don't even miss the salt (well, almost)

Sylvia,

That recipe looks good. I've never heard of putting sugar in olive oil. I'm going to try that one. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back