Walking at High Altitudes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braveheart

Last year, (hey, tomorrow, June 30, is my anniversary:D) I had my aortic valve replaced with a bovine valve. Somehow, I ended up with a nicked phrenic nerve which caused a problem with my diaphragm. I also have developed a "touch" of asthma, which is well controlled.

One of the places that my husband and I love is the southwest. We have gone there a number of times before the surgery, and never had any problems with the altitude. We have been as high as 10,000 feet.

We would like to go again. Would having a valve replacement make a trip to a high altitude dangerous? We don't plan on any heavy hiking, as in the past, but would be doing some walking.

Does anybody have any answers on this subject? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think only your cardiologist can give you proper advice as to your fitness for high altitude. In general, a year after AVR you should be fit to do anything you did prior to surgery and more. I've been at altitude that would give me symptoms prior to surgery and it no longer does, and I'm only 7 months out. But everyone is different, and you do mention some other issues that might be factors to consider.

I have trouble with very high heat since my surgeries and depending upon where/when you plan to travel in Arizona, the heat may be an issue.
I walk miles at home near Boston but could not do that in the August Scottsdale/Phoenix heat.

The valve shouldn't give you any issues, but your diaphragm and breathing probably will. Might want to ask the doc about some supplemental oxygen.

Bear in mind that in the high altitude, walking or flying, if it's a hot and/or humid day, the density altitude can make a big difference, an increase of even a couple of thousand feet. So 10,000 feet can be like 12,000 feet. Or more. There are o2 saturation monitors you can get, if you're interested.

High Altitude

High Altitude

I lived and played at high altitude in Colorado for almost thirty years before moving to Arizona this June. Altitude sickness is a major issue for folks who live at low altitudes when they come to the mountains to play. I lived at 9,000 feet and frequently did cycling stuff which would take me to altitudes of 12,000 - 14,000 feet.

A couple of points to consider if you are going to vacation at significantly higher altitude than you live at are these, First build a few days to aclimate to the altitude changes into your vacation. In other words arrive and enjoy some really easy (around town) kinds of activities to let your body adjust before doing anything more difficult. Second, stay hydrated really well (force yourself to drink more water than you think you need) and get lots of sleep before engaging in any strenous activities.

Last year, a guy from Texas asked me to coach him for a bicycle ride to the top of Mt Evans (a 14,000 ft peak). He was very short on time and really determined. He was in extremely good health. I got him situated, launched him on the 21 mile ride, coached him at different points along the route, got him to the top and back down again, and sent him back to Texas the next day. Basically, he did the activity before his body had a chance to react to the altitude. This is really not the way to do these kinds of activities. It's much better to let the body adjust.

-Philip

Thanks for all the info. Of course I will check with my doc, but what I was looking for was experiences of other people who had AVR.

Lily- I live in Florida, where you can cut through the humidity with a knife in the summer. I love to go walking, but find that unless I can drag myself out by 7 a.m., it is an almost impossible task.

Last week I walked from about 8:30 a.m. until 11 a.m., and felt it for the rest of the afternoon. I wore a large brimmed had, and had an ice water bottle with me.

If your having a hard time with Florida and humidity, your definitely going to have an issue with high altitudes. As Lily pointed out, 10,000 can be pressurized to a more compressed density altitude when barometric pressure and temperature are factored in. 10 could become 12 or more in equivalent.

Hi Braveheart,
We live at 300 ft altitude and love to vacation in the southwest too. But I don't have asthma. I read a lot more about hiking than I actually get to do, and what I gather about altitude is that its impact can be unpredictable--the fact that it didn't bother a person in the past doesn't mean that it never will, etc. However the general advice is to acclimate for a few days before strenuous activity at altitude, and to use common sense about descending when you feel distress.
Since you're going to check with your doctor as well, I'll give my opinion, too: go and enjoy it. Try whatever you feel like, though it may mean you go slower or make shorter hikes.

Debby

just returned from a trek up to 4700 meters above sea leavel (i guess that is app 15000 feet), i did prepare well upfront, got slowly acclimatised and made sure that my HR stayed <140 all the time. No probs at all.

I would check with the cardio upfront, and as many others here say: do what makes you comfortably feel good, there is no need to push anything or proof anything to anybody

first and foremost ENJOY

My bovine valve works fine up here.
Listen to your body and gradually increase your walking distances and acclimate like Phillip suggested. You need to stay hydrated due to the dry air and due to higher altitudes, so you should be drinking several liters of water each day. Also read up on the symptoms of "altitude sickness" so that you know if you are getting it and what to do if you do get it.
Best
John

Latest posts

Back