Visual Disturbance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I hope someone can answer a question for me. I have been having migrain auras since my surgery (less than 2 weeks) they usually happen when I get up from sleeping. I had another one this morning but it was a little different. It was about the size of a dime and it flashed a little bit but it was also like a light brown circle in my left eye getting in the way of my vision. It only lasted a minute or two. I was a little different than my normal auras. I am so scared I am having a stroke. I didn't have any tingling or weakness go along with it. I'm afraid that if i call my doc he will just think I am crazy and think it is my anxiety or tell me to wait and see my new cardiologist on Tuesday. Has anyone else had any similar experiences? This is really freaking me out.

Thanks!
Creed3

I myself have not had anything like that, but I'm sure some others have. If it scares you that much, please don't hesitate to go to the ER and get checked. No one is going to mock you for being legitimately worried!

I spent alot of time with stroke patients while in rehab. You don't want to have one. Please get yourself checked out. I doubt that it is a stroke, but something doesn't sound right. Better safe, then sorry.

Ross

Hi Creed3-

I agree with Ross. Please see a doctor ASAP. ER sounds good. How can anyone do a diagnosis on themselves. This could be anything from -just one of those things, to a TIA, to an eye problem, to who knows what. I wouldn't hesitate. It's the weekend, but don't let that stand in your way. This is your health.

If any doctor "fluffs you off" or tries to demean you for trying to get help, you should can him/her and find someone who likes what they do and will be helpful. Be proactive, please. And let us know what the diagnosis is.

Go-call

Last edited:
For several weeks after my surgery I got migraines every day. Started with the auras, sometimes stopped there, and sometimes continued into the headache. When I talked to a doctor he said they see this often, and don't know for sure what the explaination is. He felt it could possibly be the brain's blood vessels getting used to the increased blood flow following surgery. He said they should start going away after awhile. Sure enough, they got fewer and farther between. However, every now and then I do get little pin pricks of light that float around in my vision for a few seconds, then go away. I haven't talked to any doctors about this, though.

Hope you figure out what is going on Creed3!

Hi Creed,

I had a mitral valve repair June 2001 and had very similar migrain auras. These progressed to dizzy spells, numbness in my hand and arm, and a tingling and heaviness in my mouth and tongue, that became severe enough to send me to the emergency room 30 days after my surgery. The ER docs could not find any evidence of stroke, so I went to my Cardio doc would told me it might be an inner ear problem and to see my family doc. The family doc could find not inner ear problem and called my surgeon to see if he could help. The surgeon said that the cervical nerve could have bee stretched during surgery and that the symtom should go away with time.

The symptoms have definitely reduced in frequency, but I still have migrain auras, occasional brown spots in my vision that last a couple of minutes, and once or twice a month a dizzy spell with the some numbness and tingling, particulary in the mouth. I did a little research myself and came up with a condition called Migraine Associated Vertigo. This web site, http://www.tchain.com/otoneuroloy/disorders/central/mav.html has more specific information concerning this disorder.

They warn you however, that the symtoms are exactly the same as stroke and you should have a doc check you out to elimate that possibility.

The very best to you in your recovery.

I've had several visual effects since my surgery in May. These include 'floaters' that look like flourescent hairs, a gray blob that floated across the visual field of one eye, kaleidoscopic patterns, and eye pain. Typically these last only a short time (one to a few minutes). CAT scans were all negative. A neurologist suggested
a spasm in the brain arteries as a possible cause. My eye doctor wants to examine my eyes to be sure the retina is not becoming detached which I am debating. Insurance won't cover it for
another 6 months. (I know....I know)...

'AL'

Went to ER

Went to ER

Thank You everyone for your input. I went to the Er today to check it out and the CT scan was fine. They did do blood work and my INT dropped from 2.06 to 1.48. They increased me to 6mg a day of coumadin. They also said I was a little anemic and put me on Iron pills and vitamin C. The Er doctor mentioned that my WBC were slightly elevated but that that could be from just having had surgery. I talked to my family doc and he said there was nothing mentioned to him regarding an infection. I see my new cardiologist in VA on Tuesday. Here I am home from the hospital and I still feel like all I do is see doctors.

Creed

Thanks Again!
I may have more questions!
-

I'm glad you went. Now you can have a nice weekend knowing it's nothing horrible. Maybe just a tweek here and there.

So go and enjoy!

Hi Creed3....so glad you went to the ER....now you can have a nice, restful weekend, free from worry......Let us know what your cardio says on Tuesday.

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back