Transfusion Related?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

greggo32

The purpose of this thread is to solicit feedback from VR members and possibly address the general issue of blood transfusion. The skin on my face has always been clean and smooth. Since surgery, I have noticed that I "break out" and have pimples and small bumps on my face. I have NEVER had this problem in the past. Does anybody think that it may be related to receiving a unit of some stranger's blood. I thank the stranger; however, could he/she have had some bacteria or virus that could cause this? Any feedback is welcome please.

Greg, I'm thinking that it's not the blood. Are you taking any anti-biotics or anything like that? Before I was discharged, I broke out in a horrible mess of pimple like things. It was from the Tobramycin they gave me. It took along time for my skin to return to normal. I don't really know, I'm just guessing at your trouble.

HI Greg-

I agree with Ross. It might be some meds or a combo of them that are causing your problems. I broke out with the most awful skin problems from Prilosec one time. What a problem! It took months to get my skin to calm down. Lotions and shampoos are naughty in this respect too.

My husband has in the past 5 years had innumerable transfusions. His gallbladder surgery, resulting in a bleedout caused him to have to have 30 units of different types of blood products. His skin has never reacted.

The dermatologist will be able to track it down asap. Give him/her a little ringy-dingy.

Good luck, I hope it clears up soon for you.

Gregg, I don't know how long since your surgery, but it may be more a matter of just general body trauma that will clear up in time. It could also be related to the medication that you may be on. My understanding is that the blood plasma used is tested for impurities in some way then cleansed or detoxified, but anything is possible. All from the AIDs snafu years ago. For about a year after my surgery, I had various anomalies that were not part of my history before. I have a mechanical St. Judes and take coumadin. Everything finally got back to normal (3 years now), whatever that is. If you are really worried, you might ask your doctor for an opinion. Someone here may also have had a similar experience. Good luck---Susan:D

I doubt that it's the blood you received. I received 23 units (I think the body only holds around 13--I bled tons) during my 14 hours of surgery. I have had no side effects whatsoever from the transfusions. All sorts of things can cause skin flare ups in addition to reaction to meds. Stress, touching your face frequently, hormonal imbalances, etc. A good dermatologist can likely figure it out for you.

Best,
--John

Latest posts

Back