Surgery - How long?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seabush

My mother will be undergoing heart valve replacement soon. How long (average) is the procedure? How long are you typically in recovery?

Dear Seabush --

Meant to post a reply to your question, but I must have pushed the wrong button and it ended up in a separate threat called "Length of operation." So much for being a veteran of this board...

Peter

Dear Seabush
I had a mitral valve replaced last year, and the operation took about three hours, after that i was in intensive care for 24 hours, then back in the ward.
I walked out of hospital seven days later (slowly)
I was driving to work five weeks later.
Everybody is different and I was fortunate that my recovery was probably fairly normal. I had very little pain through the whole procedure.
All the best for your Mum.
Regards Dave

Dave is right... the amount of time of the operation depends on a lot of factors. My mitral valve was repaired... it was in very bad shape so took about five hours... I believe a replacement takes less time.

I hope your mother does well.

Take care,
Zazzy

Mom

Mom

My mother posts here and goes by the handle lvbush (Lillian). She's having surgery next week. I'll keep everyone posted.

Crystal

Double error

Double error

E G A D S ! T H I S C O N T I N U E S T O G O I N T H E W R O N G P L A C E. O N E M O R E T R Y. S O R R Y, F O L K S.

P.

SEABUSH --

I'LL JUST COPY THIS BACK OVER HERE WHERE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE (AS NOTED ABOVE). MIGHT MAKE IT EASIER FOR OTHERS TO COPRRECT IT. NOTE I WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT AVR -- MY ONLY AREA OF EXPERIENCE.

PETER

Length of operation
To my knowledge it varies according to type of operation and number of other complications from which the patient may be suffering and/or their general state of health. Also different surgeons have different rates and procedueres. As a ballpark figure, and without any major complications, I understand mechanical and stented bioprosthesis valve implantations to be the shortest, next stentless tissue valves and homografts, with the longest being the Ross Procedure, given its two valve approach.

Then again, you need to distinguish three things -- elapsed time from pre-op to ICU (longest), operation time (next) and cross-clamp time, or time on heart-lung machine (shortest). Here are my very approximate estimates of average minimum times that others may want to correct or debate.

MECHANICAL/STENTED

Elapsed time 3-4 hours

Operation time 2-3 hours

Cross-clamp time 1 hour

STENTLESS/HOMOGRAFT

Elapsed time 5-6 hours

Operation time 3-4 hours

Cross-clamp time 1.5-2 hours

ROSS PROCEDURE

Elapsed time 6-7 hours

Operation time 4-5 hours

Cross-clamp time 2-3 hours

However, if complications arise, then time is extended, so operations can last in excess of 10 hours. Happily medical science has gotten pretty doggone good at pulling people through the long ones (my sister had a 10-hour job), and as a patient one is never really aware of it -- except from the point of view of somoewhat longer "fuzzy" time at the other end.

Peter

Crystal

Crystal

It does depend on the person. My surgery lasted about 7 hours. i was on the bypass pump for 5 and in recovery for about 12 hours and out of the hospital in 3.5 days. But, i am a lot younger than your mom.

I would go with the experiences of those close to your mom's age and with similar health.

Crystal

Crystal

I had a mechanical valve and two bypasses done and I was on th H L machine 7 hours. In surgery 11 hours. Everyone is different. Good luck to your mom and your family.

Joe's mitral valve replacement (St. Jude mechanical) through the sternum took 6 hours, his mitral valve repair throught the side took 5 hours.

Crystal
Try not to worry, if your Mom is in surgery a tad longer than you expect. She is in good hands there. My family says the time goes by faster than you would think, but then, they are so used to it!

Hang in there. Your Mother will be in my prayers!
mindy

Latest posts

Back