Scottie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ron K

Hi Scottie,

I just read your message to Walter in which you discussed some of the problems you are experiencing. I'm sorry to hear about the infection, but I'm sure some antibiotics will control that in a relatively short period of time. Consider this one of the "bumps in the road to recovery" that many of us have had.

I think you may be expecting too much too soon. The Lord will mend you according to his schedule -- not yours! You know you are in good hands, so relax a little and watch what happens.

It is very important for you to try to keep a positive mental attitude. Depression can sneak up on you and alter your life greatly. Don't let it get a strong hold. Focus on all the positives in your life--your wonderful and supportive family,the fact that you had your surgery before any serious damage was done to your heart muscle, etc, etc. You're going to be so much further along in your recovery in a matter of just a few weeks, you won't believe it.

Scottie, this is a temporary set-back. Vent here when you need to, but don't dwell on it too much. Please post more often so we can check on you.
:)

Ron K

Last edited:
Thanks Ron

Thanks Ron

I didn't mean to moan ...I seem to have good days and bad days ..but I guess this is normal ..I know you are right ..I am thankful for what I've got most of the time ...just sometimes I join the pity club ...I do find the days long now that the kids are back in school and hubby is at work ..nearly all my friends work and we live in an isolated area ..so I am counting the days until I can drive again . I enjoy my walks but don't see anyone ..so they can be quite lonely.
Still having bother with my leg ..the right one ..anyone else found this ..one side is sore and the other side is numb ?
Thanks Ron for writing ...much appreciated
Scottie

I'm pretty much in the same boat Scottie. Like I said before, when I start feeling down, someone is always around the corner, here, or a phone call away to snap me out of it. It's all normal.

We will cheer you up

We will cheer you up

Scottie..I live on top of a mountain and the last 3 weeks has been..foggy:mad: cloudy:mad: rainy:eek: :eek: Probably much like Scotland..and the pool closed, the Fla people have gone home and just a few of us full-timers in here (I live in a gated community..with LOTS of deer and my own Black Bear.) Other than hubby..my conversation is with construction workers:D :D We love it up here and everytime we go down towards Atlanta, we cannot wait to get back to our mountain.....Since my surgery, I care nothing for T.V...cannot get into reading.. Just love my computer and the outdoors...How old are your kids. I have 1 10 year old Grandson who spends the weekends with me..Keeps Granbonny hopping..Believe all of us when we say depression comes with the surgery but will fade away..as you feel better. Bonnie

P. S.

P. S.

I STALK THE GUY ABOVE ME....:D :D :D Day and night and early mornings..;) ;) ;) Don't tell him;) ;) Bonnie

Hi Scottie-

What's the weather like where you are now? Maybe while you're on one of your walks you could make some mental notes and post them for us. We'd all appreciate a taste of Scotland.

Right now, here in upstate New York, the trees are starting to just turn the littlest bit of red. Our nights are becoming cooler, my tomatoes will probably not turn red. Our growing season is short and we had a peculiar spring and early summer. Also our wild holiday is fastly approaching, Halloween. I had my first mischievous act which might foretell what the young teenagers will be up to this Halloween. I had to clean up some paint ball goo off the garage door. I didn't have a clue what it was at first. It looked like neon pink eggs had dropped out of a tree and broke in the driveway. Those little buggers. Fortunately, one of my neighbors who belongs to the neighborhood committee found out who the perpetrator was and he let him have it full bore.

So Scottie, what's going on in your neighborhood?

Re: to the guy above me

Re: to the guy above me

Look under your bed tonight.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Plus..I have your private telephone number;) ;) ;) The Lady below You.:D

Hey, Scottie - we MUST have a pity party from time to time - it's all part of life - so let's you and me sit down and have a cup of tea, or coffee, or scotch and pity away. It's when you never quit having the pity party that there's trouble - in meantime, enjoy the pity - I do.:D

Scottie,

Having spent 20 years in the military I had the opportunity to live in lots of places like Southeast Asia, Saudia Arabia, Kansas, New York, New Jersey, Texas, Washington DC, Florida to name a few. While some of those places were very nice I honestly think I like Scotland the best. I think I once told you that my father came from a small Scottish town called Stepps located just outside of Glasgow. My grandfather was a train master and my dad went to Glasgow University. Now while that area was nice, Edinburgh is really more my kind of a town. Tell me where you are located?

I hope you are doing better Scottie and gradually getting out of the dumps. I know it is frustrating waiting to drive and in my case I was able to drive after just two weeks but waited three. Driving again was no problem but be aware that getting in and out can cause you to bend in ways your body is not expecting it to.

Nancy, Where in NY do you live? My folks had a house in Schroon Lake, located above Lake George. It was kind of desolate but quite peaceful. I also spent eight years as an Associate Professor of Computer Science at West Point, the US Military Academy. I lived on the academy grounds and still remember the winds howling down the Hudson and across the plain in the winter time.

I think Evelyn mentioned that she is also from NY, Long Island to be exact. In a recent post she talked about walking along the beach at night with the dogs. Man does that make me homesick. I love the ocean and it is the one thing I really miss out here in good old Middle America. Would you believe its 90 degrees today!! Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 65. OOO-FA

Ok enough rambling. I just want Scottie to have a wee dram of single malt scotch or have a ?Hot Tottie? and feel better.

Walter

Hi Scotty,

My recovery was a little on the rocky side also, especially the first 2 months. My dogs (Labrador Retriever and Border Collie) were / are good company both in the house and on my daily walks. A neighbor's little (15 lb) Yorkshire Terror (er...Terrier) mix adds interest and humor as she tries to beat up the 90 lb Lab (who lets her do it). If you don't have a dog (or 2) then you may want to consider that option. My house would feel awfully empty without mine.

'AL'

We have the technology. We can rebuild her. Faster, stronger, emotional, lovable, and..........Don't mind me, I'm just trying to get you to smile Scottie. ;)

Hi Walter-

We live in Glenville, NY which is near the Albany area. Sure do know the Schroon Lake and Lake George area. It's very beautiful. I have a cousin who graduated from West Point many years ago. He's probably in his mid seventies now. That's a beautiful campus.

Al, I agree with you about the dog aspect. When Joe got finished with his last heart surgery, the first thing that he wanted to do was to go out and get a little Shih Tzu puppy to replace one who passed away just prior to his surgery. He could hardly walk, but we went to the mall (I know, I know, mall puppies) but we found the most adorable little puppy there. Very healthy too. Joe was so thrilled. We named her after his heart surgeon, who probably wasn't that thrilled about it. But, hey, we couldn't name our first-born after him, so that had to do :p :p

She's just a real love, funny, cute and full of life.

Hey Walter,
Read that you've got roots near Glasgow; my family is from Ayrshire, and my ancestor was the first Earl of Dundonald (about 45 klicks south of Glasgow). I agree about Edinburgh...I love their jazz festival in August! Gee, how about a Scottish VR.com reunion sometime?

Scottie,
Hang it there...I know what you mean about the walks being lonely (and boring too sometimes). Keep it up though, since it truly is the road back to good health.

Feel free to e-mail me any time, as I really enjoy hearing from my Scottish "cousins" across the pond!

Best,
John

Scottie,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficut recovery. Please don't stay away from this site too long. Your friends here want to help. You are certainly in the thoughts and prayers of many. We are here for you.

You will get better everyday, day by day.

All my best to you

Bill

Thanks folks

Thanks folks

I'm sorry it takes me so long to reply ..but the hookup we have got to the internet is for the evenings only (at a reasonable price ) and by the evenings I'm bushed and the kids and hubby are home so I want to make the most of them.
We have had a great start to Autumn here ...the sun has been shining every day this week and although it has been cool it has been lovely. We live on the Coast of the North Sea and the blue sky against the blue sea and green hills with the purple heather is definately Scotland at its best. We live on the very North East Coast of Scotland ...much further north than Stepps or Glasgow which is nearly a five hr drive away from us.

Thankyou all for your replies ...my stomach has been playing up with any meds and I have continued to be quite sick .My Dr is trying to find something that agrees with me so I can start eating properly again .I think the constant sickness has pulled me down a bit and made me sorer than I should be at this point . But hopefully it will pass. I have taken a walk everyday with my dog "Socks " a black and white long haired Border Collie who is more interested in the rabbits than me ..but he is good company.

Ross ..please let me know more about the rebuilding ...when /where /how ?...I need longer legs ! I'd love to be taller LOL
I hope you are all well
Geesh don't you lot get fed up of me moaning ...in my real life I don't moan a lot honest LOL
Take care and thanks again.
Scottie

Scottie,
Go ahead and moan, we all understand! I hope they can find something that is more agreeable to your stomach...this is a tough time to be sick on top of recovering from surgery.

Your home sounds so beautiful, which is part of the reason I fell in love with Scotland. I hope you're feeling better soon, and we all sympathize with you.

Take care,
John

Hi Scottie....You can moan all you want, we're just glad to hear from you and know that you're doing well. Your home does sound beautiful, enjoy those dog walks. Keep feeling better every day!!!

Evelyn and Tyce

Oh, Scottie,

You have a perfect right to moan anytime you want to. Better here than to people who really do not know what this thing is like.
You just keep coming back and lean on us.

They had me taking "pepcid" to settle my stomach morning and night with my other meds It is only an acid reducer but I do notice if I skip a couple of doses my stomach hurts--maybe it is just in my head. Anyway, I hope they find somethiing to make you more comfortable.

All my best to you

Bill

Scottie - meds can play a big part in stomach upset - I finally had to give up Celebrex, for example. The drs OUGHT to know which are causing the problem. If you are on any pain med that contains codeine, look into it - that one is famous for stomach upset as many pain meds are. Hope they find out soon as nausea can be just the worst.

Envy you your days on the coast and the cool weather and walks with your best friend, even tho he shows interests elsewhere. They are like that, you know. Don't seem to even care you are the one responsible for their being out!

Everything takes time - you have been apprehensive about this surgery from the first, because of past history. But you will get through - we know this. Just have to convince you! Take care and best - God bless - Ann

Latest posts

Back