Protimes and Coagucheks Obsolete?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Exanta(ximelagatran) has passed its first test with orthopedic patients. Its a direct thrombin inhibitor so its not affected by Vitamin K and other drugs.It doesn't require an injection like Lovenox and doesn't require regular monitoring of the prothrombin time.It goes into one more clinical trials for orthopedic patients and then later it must be clinically tested in atrial fib and valve patients. How soon will most of us be able to take it if all goes well? I'm guessing but I'd say 2004. Another drug in trials is Arixtra(fonda parinux sodium).It works differently than Exanta in the clotting cascade but also seems to have a wide safety range and not effected by Vitamin K and other drugs. I'm hoping one or both of these drugs gets FDA approval before my Coaguchek wears out.

Hi Marty,

It sure would be wonderful if one or more of these new drugs pass all the clinical trials. Life without monitoring sure would be wonderful, especially if Vit K doesn't effect the drug.

WOW... ya mean we could all go back to our old eating habits!!!

Now that would be heaven! Hope you are having a good summer.

Rob,

yep.. another transplanted Yankee
From Boston originally

Last edited:
I am really excited about the prospect...but will not be the first one to jump on the bandwagon.

As some of us know...FDA approval does not mean it is safe!

Thanks for the information Marty!

protimes and coagucheks obsolete?

protimes and coagucheks obsolete?

Hi Marty,
The drugs sound wonderful. How did you find out about them and the trials?
Sharon

Exanta

Exanta

Marty, that sounds wonderful but like Gina says, I would not want to be first on the list of trying it. (Maybe second)

And speaking of more important things.......you never told me how your golf game is going.

I started this year at a 12 h/c.....went up to a 15 and now am at 13 trending lower. of course I have gone thru about 4 sets of irons to get there.

My driver is Taylor Made 320 60gram weight with regular flex and low kick point.

No golf today as I've played 4times this week and am forcing myself to take a break.

Sharon

Sharon

Hi Sharon

I posted an article entitled "another new advancement". This explains some of what is going on with Exantra. Sounds promising but I have a feeling it's going to be a long time coming if at all for valve patients.

Hope all is well with you.
Drop me an email when you have a chance.

Exanta How soon?

Exanta How soon?

We mustn't hold our breath till EXANTA gets approved for valve and other heart patients.Al Lodwick thinks 2004 at the earliest and widespread use not till '06 or '07. There may be other better drugs by that time. The other new drug they are bringing out,ARIXTRA, really does not pertain to us valve patients. It competes with low molecular weight heparin and must be given by injection.EXANTA performed quite well in its first clinical trial with patients having knee and hip surgery. It will take at least two more trials to test it in patients with leg clots and patients with mechanical valves and /or atrial fibrillation.

Thanks for the info on Exanta Marty. Sounds promising. I like that Exanta is not affected by other drugs. I wonder if that means the drink limitation would be repealed. For a change, it would be nice to need a designated driver instead of being one.:)

A person could get really smart hanging around this site!!
Im learning stuff I never knew, or maybe forgot (pumphead!).
I thought I was pretty up on technology, but you guys put me
in the SHADE! :p

Exanta testing well!

Exanta testing well!

I had dinner with a friend from Hopkins last evening and found out they are one of the test centers for Exanta. As you know it did well in the orthopedic trials. It is now being tested in patients with deep vein thrombosis and atrial fibrillation stroke patients.
Valves will be the last clinical trial with aortics first and finally at the end mitrals. I have a mitral mechanical and found out that these are the most prone to clot and the one they worry about the most. Also infection in a mechanical is very resistant to treatment- so take your antibiotics before dental procedures and take them early with any other signs or symptoms of infection.

Keep the dialog flowing!

Keep the dialog flowing!

This is super information from all who share their knowledge of it.

Thank you.

Have you seen any websites relative to the subject yet? (duh, I guess I could do my own search as soon as I finish this reply).

I too, like the prospect of some day being in need of a designated driver instead of being one! Once Exanta is released and working for us mechanical valve people (yeah, yeah, I'll be patient!) I think VR.COM could have one heck of a party! This could warrant fireworks! Man, I'd darn near kiss the feet of the inventor of this stuff! Sorry, got carried away...thanks again, Marty.

Cheers!

PerryA
MV/AV replacement
4-17-00

Latest posts

Back