Nine months post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peter Easton

Hi folks --

Have been out of electronic circulation for quite some time, so very best to old friends and greetings to this year's new members. I had my AVR early last September -- just a week before the Sept 11th tragedy -- and went back to work in mid-to-late October. Things then commenced to get pretty busy, as I am a sort of one-man show in my academic job and, in addition, my good wife had been bearing the brunt of family duties plus her own work during my absence.

But the long and the short of it is that my recovery has been very smooth and I've consistently felt peppier -- leastwise since late October -- than I did before the operation. In fact, compared to increasing breathlessness in the pre-surgery months, it felt for a while as though I were running on ethyl.

We are presently overseas in the MidEast visiting my wife's family, a visit scheduled years ago to coincide with a period when she could get off work and our kids would be of an age to really learn from another culture (half of their own heritage, in fact) and enjoy interchange with their cousins. The September 11th events gave us some real pause, but we decided not to miss the window of opportunity, and people here have been most supportive and welcoming.

In any case, I am very happy with recovery to date and have felt pretty much entirely normal for the last six or seven months. I continue to have periodic bouts of mild depression, handled through medication and reminders to take it easy (!), but that's much the same as the situation pre-op.

I have another checkup upon return with the cardio and we will see the story of the tape -- or computer screen, I guess -- at that point. I even was planning to get back to some long-distance running (way back: like ten years previous before valve problems surfaced), but the doctors advised lots of walking instead (!), more, I think, to avoid wear and tear on a 60-year-old's knees than for heart-related reasons.

At odd moments, I think of the virtual certainty of another operation something like a dozen years hence, if all goes well, and wonder what options technology will then have to offer. But one day at a time.

Much cheer and good wishes to all now recovering from their surgery!

Peter

Last edited:
Well, hey there, Peter. So nice to see you again. And I envy you your trip. It is so nice to know that you feel in good health so that you can truly enjoy all that is there for your to see and do. Best to the family. God bless

Peter

Peter

So glad you are doing so well. I have a treadmill now and use it several time a week. So glad also that you are keeping yourself so active. Overseas, huh, everything okay there for your wife's family. It is a trying time for everyone. You take care and let us know how you do on your checkup.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Great recovery Peter but you aren't going

Great recovery Peter but you aren't going

to get away with the soft exercise that easy because of your knees.

I've been using the treadmill to warm up to the older and younger runner's dream machine: The elliptical runner which is gentle on the knees, no shock at all..

Nice try but you have miles to run before you sleep....check it out.

To heck with aging knees

To heck with aging knees

Great advice, Gary (and thanks/warm greetings to Sylvia, Caroline and Hensylee!).

I kind of suspect my cardio of being a couch potato in exercise terms, though he is an avid fisherman. I'll take the cue from Robert Frost and keep motoring.

We are nearing the end of our stay here in Iran, my wife's home country -- a trip planned long before the present "axis of evil" debate and as a function of our kids' ages (they are now old enough to really appreciate a foreign culture and that half of their heritage). People have been really wonderful. I'd say 95% are very well disposed toward the US and increasingly ill disposed toward the (unelected) hardliner clerics who still hold the balance of power here. Unfortunately, the current Israeli-Palestine situation strengthens the hand of the hardline element somewhat and leaves the reformers fighting an uphill battle. But I think that the latter have got history on their side.

In any case, it's a beautiful country with a variety of scenery much like California -- snow-capped mountains (they were skiing in June up behind Tehran, the capital), huge cities (Tehran has a population of 15 million and stretches on for 40 miles), traffic jams, desert, rain forest (in the north), seafront in three directions (Caspian, Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean), and 3000 year old ruins in addition. People are endlessly hospitable, a MidEastern tradition, I guess.

Ironically and sadly, one of my wife's cousins had AVR and got his second operation here only a month before our arrival. He had lived on quite well for nearly 20 years following his first operation, but there were many complications with the second (which included multiple bypass work) and he grew rapidly weaker, passing away shortly after our arrival. Surgical capacities seem pretty good here, however. They just did their first successful heart transplant.

Only two weeks left before we head home. The kids are eager to hit the US malls again, though they have had a grand time with their cousins here. As welcoming as the environment has been here, many aspects of the experience have made them much more appreciative of what we enjoy as Americans -- from greater freedom of speech to much more gender equity.

Best,

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

Welcome back, we really missed you.

I've also been on and off active on this site, but still lurk even when I 'm not as active.

In case you haven't read anything here in a while, I've been on quite a roller coaster ride, but things have now settled down (up!?). Anyway, my new valve did great for 8 months, then began leaking last January. I went back on meds in February and started fainting and having other troubles. Ended up in the hospital 4 times.

By mid-May, my leak was severe and left ventricle significantly enlarged. Took a week off work (partly in the hospital and partly at home) and at one point was a day away from resurgery. Then, miraculously, my heart condition improved; only a mild leak and heart size returned to normal. Go figure!!:)

Still doing much better. No more fainting and just a few minor residual symptoms. I'm convinced my worst symptoms were from the meds and not the condition. In any case, both my cardiologist and surgeon (as well as Dr. Zehr at Mayo) have concluded that I may indeed be able to manage indefinitely, if not for the rest of my life, with this valve. It seems that it got stretched out for a while, being a pulmonary, but now has been reinforced by my own body cells.

I bet that makes you glad you avoided the SynerGraft. Now, a small number of other members of this site have also joined the SynerGraft club, except that they received the aortic version.

In any case, I have fond memories of our exchanges last year when we were both in the thick of surgery and recovery and hope that you will continue to keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care,

To both Peter and Steve. I came somewhat after you in having to make my decisions about surgery, but benefitted a great deal from your debates and information on this website, particularly all the things to consider in choosing replacement valves. Ultimately I did have a repair of my mitral valve from Dr. Cosgrove, but pre-surgery I made my decision clear in the event a replacement was needed which was in large part one educated by the "making the choice" thread on VR.com.

It is good to hear about both of you post-surgery.

Thanks also Peter for the perspective about sentiments in Iran. We so often make erroneous judgments about cultures unfamiliar to us based on the news.

Great to hear

Great to hear

Hello, Peter. I was gratified to read that you're feeling so well as compared to pre-surgery. This is, after all a great outcome to have. I sincerely hope things continue in this direction for you!

Interesting reading about Iran.

Here's hoping for continued smoothness in your health

:D

A rough row to hoe

A rough row to hoe

Hi Steve --

So good to have news from you again, but I am really sorry to hear of the tribulations you went through. I guess you qualify as a pioneer of a new technique and we all owe you some thanks for forging the path. I am relieved that things straightened out at the last moment and hope you are now on course for umpteen years of clear sailing.

Would that my wife's cousin here had benefitted from the kind of treatment we both have had. They're doing their best over here, but being cut off from the US for twenty plus years probably hasn't helped the state of the art in AVR, though their relations with England and Australia, among others, are considerably better than those with the US. I am reminded by your story and by the problems here that little more than fifty years no one survived aortic valve problems, and that's still the case in much of the world. I remember reading "The King of Hearts" during my recovery period and marveling at what Lilienthal and others had to go through to get AVR up and running.

We are within a few days of departure, making last minute trips to buy gifts in the vast bazaar (my favorite curiosity last time out: the Medusa of tea pots -- seven spouts!). Tonight went back to the ancient arched bridge, "Pol-e Khaju," just below my wife's family house, where a tea shop is built right in overlooking the river.

Take care, Steve. May you set all kinds of records for valve longevity!

Peter

Same to you Peter. Have a safe trip back. I stopped in the Teheran airport once while flying from Europe to Asia. I would love to go back for a visit sometime. Sounds like your valve job's holding up just fine. It's been half way around the world and even survived an 'axis of evil'!!!

Latest posts

Back