Heart Arythmia issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jeff Summers

I need somme inputs from the experts. I had AVR surgery 6/7/00, and had a St Judes Mechanical put in. Post surgery, I suffered from arythmia, and took Rythmal for approximately 4 months, and weened myself off, with Dr's approval. I have had no arythmia episodes, until 8 days ago. At first they were very minor, lasting less than 5 minutes, a couple times a day. They have increased to a point that whenever I exert myself, like stairs, or even brisk walks, kicks me into an episode.

I have been wearing a King of Hearts event monitor for the last 2 days, and recieved a rather disturbing phone call from my Dr's nurse--Dr is out of town. I am having minor atrial fib, along with ventricular triplets, which if left unattended can change to ventricular tachicardia, leading to full blown Atrial fib, which is bad. I am to start on Cordorone ASAP, 200mg 4 times a day for a week, followed by 3 times a day for a week, followed by 2 times for 3 weeks.

My INR is very stable, always between 3.1 to 3.5. I'm concerned about the new meds messing that up, along with the fib/triplets issues. Any other valve people out there taking Cordorone, or any other heart rythym meds? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am a pharmacist who manages warfarin, not a valve patient.

Amiodarone will change your warfarin dose (INR) dramatically and probably quite suddenly with the loading dose that you are taking.

You need to have your INR checked in no more than one week from the day you started amiodarone. You need to continue having it checked at one week intervals until you have two readings in a row which are within the target range. Then you can cut back on the frequency.

Do not underestimate how potent this interaction can be.

I have more information on www.warfarinfo.com

Cordarone/Amiodarone

Cordarone/Amiodarone

Hi Jeff:

Please be sure you read the thread on Atrial Fibrillation in the Post Surgery forum started by Ward on 8-18-01 in its entirety as it contains much useful information.
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=469

In addition please also read the threads on about.com on Amiodarone with Dr. Richard Fogoros ( Dr. Rich) as well as the link for his Bio. In my opinion you will not get any better input online than that of Dr. Rich - he is an expert in the field of cardiac electrophysiology.

http://forums.about.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ab-heartdisease&msg=864.

http://heartdisease.about.com/mbiopage.htm

Take care.

Ken

Aortic Valve Replaced & Rhythm Problems

Aortic Valve Replaced & Rhythm Problems

Hey:

I can relate to your problems. After I had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude Mechanical, I had several more severe attacks of rhythm problems and several cardiac arrests. They finally put in a Guidant Pacemaker/Defibrillator to handle the situation. Even with that I've had two more cardiac arrests and now am having atrial fibs even with the pacemaker. Once those problems start, it's hard to tell what is proper to do. Hang in there and good luck. I do take Atenolol for the rhythm probelms.

RON

Ron
I used to be on Atenolol also, but now I am on Toprol. I dont know why, and I think I had better ask. I call myself a beta head, and when added to pump head, I become a real blonde!!

The Toprol seems to do the trick, but then, so did the Atenolol. Dont know why the change. My arrythmias seem to come and go, and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a type of cycle to them??
mindy

Atenolol at Toprol are very much alike. They are both called beta blockers. The most likely reason to change from one to another is that your insurance has a "preferred" beta blocker. (This means that the insurance gets a rebate from the manufacturer if they sell enough of their preferred item.)

Latest posts

Back