Happy Anniversary, Mainframe

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ron K

Hi Chris,

I noticed in one of your recent posts that today is the 1st anniversary of your AVR.

Congratulations!!!

I hope your bovine valve is working as well as mine. May they both last 50 years.:) :)

Enjoy your day and please give us a little information about how you're doing now and perhaps what this all means to you as you look back on it.

Ron K

Yeah, what Ron said! We don't hear to much out of you anymore and it sure would be great to hear about you. ;) CONGRATULATIONS :D

Hey Chris, how've you been? I knowyou have been busy with your job, but keep posting! We need to get a washington state reunion planned. I just sort of put it off, cause I wanted to do it when everybody could make it. Happy 1 year, hope everything is going well for you!

Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary

Hey Chris, how time flies, eh? I still remember waiting to be hauled off to my cath procedure at UW the night before my surgery, when you and your wife dropped in to wish me luck. That was a big help to me...

Hope you are continuing to do well, and here's hoping for many more!

Johnny

I know I have sent you some personal replies and your support was great. Continued success with your recovery,you probably feel like a new person by now.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me. Didn't get online much this weekend to respond.

I'd love to say I'm better than ever but unfortunately, I'm not. I suppose my heart and valve are working better, but I don't feel better.

I atribute much of that to my level of fitness before and after surgery. Prior to surgery, I had just completed a year of really great nutrition and exercise. I had lost some weight and entered a "fitness" contest of sorts called "Body for Life Transformation Challenge", based on the book. My goal was to finish in the top 3 for my age group (40-50). I didn't, but I finished in the top 2000 (in the world regardless of age), which is considered pretty good. (700,000 entered). My bodyfat was single digits and I never felt stronger. Here is a profile from another board I used to post at L&S profile I even had a magazine article of sorts about it. My cardio exercise tolerance wasn't the greatest but gee, I think I've figured out way. :D Two months after the "after" picture, my cardio told me to stop working out. A little after four months I had surgery.

During the last year I've had the obvious obstacle of the AVR, but also torn ACL and a nagging shoulder problem. The shoulder hurt the worst about the time I was cleared to start exercising again. At my six month echo, I was told I had decreased left ventricle funtion. I thought, no problem, I'll just work out and get my heart stronger. I had developed a pretty good workout ethic before and knew I could do it again. But I really lacked energy. I went to work, came home and had to take a nap for 1-2 hours. Not a good recipe for trying to hit the gym. By the end of the year, most of the progress I had made the year before was lost.

Now, I feel alot more energetic. I'm back to going to the gym 5-6 days a week (mostly cardio at this point), lost about 25 pounds (more to go) and feel like I'm back to making some real progress. I saw an orthopedic surgeon last friday about my shoulder who gave me good news (times 2) My shoulder was diagnosed as being a "frozen shoulder" and that in time, will just "go away". No damage that needs to be fixed. He also said that lifting weights although maybe less than comfortable, won't hurt the shoulder to push it. He also said my ACL wasn't a complete tear, and that I didn't need surgery on that, at least until it bothers me.

So, to make a long story short, do I feel better than before surgery?. No. But I will someday soon.

Hey Chris:

Glad to see you feel you are progressing...a year is really just the start of true rehabilitation...I think I have kept improving even through the third year...like you, I have lost weight and started exercising (and enjoying it) again. Hers's to many, many more years and anniversaries.

Latest posts

Back