Dad's Breathing Ron

• Thread starter Jimeskimo's girl
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jimeskimo's girl

Ron K, How do you get someone to breathe that can't? I'm sure that dad is very frustrated by this setback. He wants to be riding his goldwing in 6 weeks but can't even breathe at this point. Please give any advice that I can take with me to the UW tomorrow on how to get him back on track. Not looking very good at this hour which is 11:30 pm pac time.
Thanks,
Laura

Sorry to hear of this turn of events. You must be very tired and worn out by all this. Hope you get the rest you need.

The docs and nurses will get the fluid thing under control and it will only be a minor setback.

They watch for fluid retention. I am told it is one of the nasty side effects of the heart/lung machine. But, they also have many tools to combat this and will get his lungs dried up in short order.

Thanks for your efforts to keep us informed, we really understand the strain this is for you. You need to take good care of yourself and the docs will get your dad fixed up too.

Good luck and know that our prayes are with you and your family.

Bill

Give it sometime. I know it's frustrating. I was on the vent for a very long time, which is not normal, but I have lung issues. Your dad is going to breath fine just as soon as he's healed enough and the fluid is eliminated. Time is what it's going to take. Please don't get too worried. He'll need you for support. It is VERY frustrating for him.

Hi Laura-

This is a quite common happening with this surgery. The docs and nurses are very prepared for this and will have it in improvement mode soon. It's not uncommon to pack some fluid after surgery, and the lungs get a little lazy and need to be worked on to get them plumped back up again.

I bet that the majority of people here have had this condition to one extent or another. Eventually it all gets worked out. Just keep speaking in positive tones to your dad and keep telling him that this will pass, and that his body still needs to do some healing which is understandable. He needs to keep remembering that he had a major surgery and it will take a little time.

Think positive thoughts about the future. It will be OK, soon.

I know that for me, the bottom of my right lung would not inflate for several days following the surgery. I continued to use the insporomoter and the hospital took xrays every day to check on my progress. They weren't going to let me leave until it was fully inflating. Eventually it all returned to normal. Though I have to say my lung capacity isn't what it used to be. I'm a theatre teacher and I have my students perform a "breath test" to get them to use their air more efficiantly. It is a tongue twister they have to say in one breath. I was able to do all of them last year, but this year it is much more difficult.

Good luck, and I'm sure the docs are working away at solving this setback.

Hi Laura,

I'm so sorry to hear about Jim's set-back.

As others have already told you, this bump in the road to recovery is not unique and it is usually well handled by the skilled and caring staff at hospitals as good as the one that your Dad is in right now. However, it's frustrating for the patient and scary as heck for those who want to see him return to his usual self with little pain or suffering.

My advise is to just try to comfort Dad when you are with him and encourage him to keep trying. Keep telling him you know he will be able to do the breathing and whatever else the staff expects from him. If not right now, then very soon. Don't get discouraged and don't let him be too discouraged.

I'll be sure to say a special prayer for him in church tomorrow and I'm sure many others here will keep your family in their prayers too.

I hope to be hearing much more positive things from you in the next couple of days.

Ron K

Please try to stay relaxed and make sure you are rested. The surgery is stressful enough, but having to deal with these setbacks can really take its toll.

Listen to our poster boy, Ross. He knows how frustrating this can be, but he also exemplifies the importance of a great attitude and inner strength.

I wish all the best to Jim and yourselves. Sometimes it takes a bit of time, but your continued support for him is critical and it's great that you have the strength and love to help him through it.

We are all pulling for him.
Kev

Hi Laura

Hi Laura

Riding in my motorhome today I looked at the Rand McNally map for places my friends lived. Saw where your Dad lives. We were there 5 years ago before our Alaska cruise. Tell your Dad they had a Goldwing Rally up here in the Mountains of North Ga. about a month ago. Wow, what beautiful bikes...3 and 4 wheelers. Told John to let's trade in motorhome for one..Colors were beautiful. Your Dad will be back on his..don't know about 6 weeks but I'll bet maybe 10? Bonnie:) :)

Evening all,
Dad finally left ICU. Heart rate was at 140 and they had to give him meds to lower that. Kidneys are doing much better, swelled up like nobody's business!!! He got to watch the NY Giants game and that was awesome. Probably doesn't remember most of it, but he watched it! I'll be up to see him tomorrow and will let him know that you all are praying for him and I'm sure he'll be talking to you all in the next week or so.
Talk to you when I get home tomorrow evening.
Laura

Hey Jim - good to know you are finally in a room where you might be able to get some sleep (or not) and you can call it your own space and they may actually turn out the lights at night. Hope all continues to go along well now that the majors are over with.

You raised a good young'un. She has been very good to us and we thank her (and you).

God bless

Am I to take it that the fluid around the lungs has dissipated?

I'm so lost on this case. Someone clue me in?

Great news, Laura.

Nice going, Jim!

We all hope the rest of the road is clear and there are no other set-backs.

Ron K

Latest posts

Back