coumadin and sun exposure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lynne S

Hi, this is my first post so forgive any mistakes, please. Does anyone know if coumadin causes a reaction with sun exposure - not very well put but let me explain. I was out in the sun yesterday - one of our first really warm weekends- and noticed small red blood veins at the surface of my cheekbones. Also noticed a splotchy red rash on arms. I don't remember this from last year (I was on coumadin then also). My INR was 3.2 2 weeks ago and I'm going in to have it checked again today. Anyone else had problems like this?

Hi Lynn-

Welcome to the site. This is a fantastic resource, you'll just love it. Everyone here understands this type of surgery and the illnesses that lead up to it.

Hope to see you here often, you've got some readymade friends.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer your request.

Hi Lynne,

My son who attends college in New Ulm called last night to say he got a sunburn yesterday. I'm not sure that's possible, since I think Minnesota is the state has eighty degrees below zero winters (with wind chill). Here in Michigan we never go below sixty below. Of course, he was out in the sun five hours without a shirt....
I've been on coumadin only five months, so I too am interested in any answers anyone else has.

Hi Lynne,

I have been on Coumdin for 2 years now. I am also on a Beta Blocker called Atenolol. I have had red rashes when I go out in the sun ever since my surgery. I am not sure which drug is causing my skin to me more photosensative, since they both can have skin rashes as a possible side effect. I looked up some drug information, but found no specific mention of the drugs and sun exposure. I do know that for me, no matter how much sun screen I put on, I still will get the red blotches.

Here is a site that I use to research drugs and their side effects.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/

Maybe a few others have some personal stories to add.

Rob

Hi Jim-

When I was in college many moons ago, we used to go up on the dormitory tar roof, put down a blanket and lay flat in the sun, in March and April. We also used to cut classes and go down to the Cape (Cape Cod, went to B.U.) and lay flat on the sandy beaches. Those were the good old days. Not a care in the world except getting tan. Nowadays that's a big no-no, skin cancer and all that.

Gee I sound like an old ----;)

Hi Nancy,

Whew... sounds like the way I grewup in Boston too! Those April and May sunnny days caused me to miss many classes too, and cruise down to the Cape as well.

I grewup in Hyde Park, went to Boston Tech, then Bridgewater State College.

Who knows.. we could have been on the same beach... hehehhe!

Rob

Always liked the West Dennis Beach. I remember the Lighthouse Inn and Sand Bar, and Bob's Wee Packet near Harwich, great blueberry muffins, and lobster boat sandwiches and the fried clams.

Sorry Lynne, didn't mean to deviate from your original post about sun rashes and Coumadin.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

I love the sun, unfortunately don't have the time to bask on a regular basis:(

When I do.....it is usually a few times a year in a tropical location. I have had swings in my INR, usually higher than lower. Did get the rash you described recently while vacationing in the Bahamas. Strange location on the inside of both feet??? My INR was a bit elevated due to change in diet so?

It's all about consistency, and boy do I usually have a melt down a few times a year. It's only human nature.

I'm Melting?

I'm Melting?

Gina,

Hope you don't melt down on us in Vegas! nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

I will contribute more to this thread after a few weeks of regular golf outings. Weekend league play starts this Saturday and I'll try not to pay more attention to my game than my skin.

Cheers.

I live on the west coast of Florida, so I get a lot of sun. My cardiologist cautioned me to be careful about getting too much sun on my scar for the first year but never mentioned anything about Coumadin interaction. Can't say that I've noticed anything unusual either, other than my hair seems to be getting grayer...

;)

Thanks for all the input. Since my initial post I have had my INR checked, 2.3, so it's not because it's high. I also talked to the pharmacist and was told that none of the medications I'm on are noted for causing a sun reaction. He felt the coumadin may be the culprit but not because of a sun exposure. He also suggested that maybe the sun alone was responsible. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on it & let you know if I find out anything else. Thanks for the input - what a great way to get questions answered! Hope I have the opportunity to help someone else out in the future.

Difficult subject to find answers to.

Difficult subject to find answers to.

This is a subject which has interested me and which I feel is going to be difficult to get any definite answers to.

Main problem is that extra sun exposure is usually associated with vacation or leisure time. Only way to work it out would be to ask a few members to go on vacation and abide by a very strict code of conduct. They would need to keep all other aspects of lifestyle such as eating, drinking, exercise, sleep pattern, coumadin intake etc. same as when they're at home so that the 'sun exposure' is the only variable.

Unless this exercise attracts some reward, I just cannot foresee it ever becoming a reality and we will continue to have some Doctors maintaining that sun increases INR and some saying the opposite.

My experience in the past suggested that the INR rises with extra sun but others have suggested that this is not the case.

Don't suppose Perry wants to set up a trial for Vegas?

Agree Billy.

Perry......sign me up for the trial test that includes sitting pool side with a drink in hand. Tee hee.

I do abide by the rules on a regular basis. Rarely drink unless we go out for a nice dinner, vacation and not to forget the VR.com unions. I draw the line on vacation. My time to unwind and have a 'good time'.

On the serious side. For me, it's usually an increased INR with sun exposure. Even without consuming drinks containing alcohol.

Oh No! Mr. Billy!

Oh No! Mr. Billy!

Hi Billy, how ya doin'?

Don't ya think an exposure trial with the ladies at poolside is perfect?

My (personal INR experiment) begins this weekend with the start of my golf league. I hope to be chasin' the little white ball nearly every weekend all summer long. I'm running a 5K the weekend of the 27th and then test my INR on the 30th. We'll just see what happens to this ol' Warfarin freak...!

By Reunion time I should have enough sun exposure (and INR data) for y'all.

Hey, Billy: bring a water proof camera and a portable lighting kit (if ya have one) to shoot Avatar photos. I suggested to Hank to put you on the "agenda" in a scheduled time slot to shoot these pix.

Cheerio!

Last edited:
Don't forget to call on Tracy this summer in Chicago Perry. He would love to chase the little white ball along with you:D

Wonder what kind of mischief Kathie and I could get into while your out golfing. ;)

PS. Which course do you frequent Perry?

Cabana boys at poolside too?

Cabana boys at poolside too?

Just bring me a rumrunner during our trial test, lol :D

Seriously, I have noticed that I develop a rash on my forearms when out in the sun. Since that discovery, (never gave it much thought as to what was causing it), I go tanning before I go into the sun. (I normally only sunbathe while away on vacation). This seems to have solved my problem. I know how bad the tanning booths are but when I am away I do like to spend time in the sun and I don't want to worry about burning as I have a fair complextion. Works for me---no burning, and no rash. Gisele

Hey Perry..........

Hey Perry..........

Hey Perry,

You trying to have me arrested!!! - Strobe lights would play havoc with those X-ray machines at the airport, Security would think it was an Irish Scud Missile.

Anyway, don't need lighting, environmental Portraits will be fine and the sun does shine in Vegas in October......right?

I did a few avatars in Nashville but Big Ben was the only person who used his. Seems the others had suffered from too much alcohol, night before the pix were taken. Fr O'Gleason preferred to continue to use his pic of yesteryear (Hey where are you these days Bob?) and Gina thought she needed more make-up in hers, so maybe you need someone to do 'make-overs' before the 'shoot' Perry.

I'll leave that in your hands as I know you're an expert on make-up........TeeHee

Latest posts

Back