conversation with surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jackc

Hi Folks,

My surgeon phoned me today to talk about my upcoming surgery June 28. He had problems with my choice of valve (Toronto SPV)
and the concurrent bypass (5) that have to be done. I insist however I do not want a mechanical valve clicking away..and definely do not want the coumadin hassle!!

His original thinking was the valve (aortic ) is bi-valved and a bit ?
calcified ( results of TEE )..so why not do both at the same time???...open up once and thats it....however follow-up carotid echo indicate a normal functioning valve.

He is concerned about the length of time to do the Toronto PVC and a quintuple bypass.....extra time reduces chances of satisfactory recovery. ( Translation..with the state of my heart I could die on the table if prologed surgery is performed ) Needless to say that was not favorable news.

So he is going to do an echo on the valve to begin surgery, if the valve apears OK..he will let it go and will do in future if required. If I need the valve he is willing to put in a stented porcine valve and do the bypasses ( apparently that can be done within his time frame)

Seemed like a good compromise to me so that is where things stand..he is happy ..I am happy..my wife is happy.
Sound like a plan ???

Jack ( Welland )

Yeap, sounds like a plan.

At least he called and discussed it with you, which to me, means he actually is attentive to you as a patient.

It's wonderful that your surgeon discussed the reality of the surgical issues with you. I think most cardiothoracic surgeons are very aware of the time issue and strive to keep their patients from extended surgeries. These are things most of us outside of the OR wouldn't know about while thinking about which valve to select.

He did you a real favor and you have a good plan.

Take care,

Latest posts

Back