cat scan angiogram of the aortic root and arch

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rain

CAT Scan Angiogram of the aortic root and arch

Hey everybody,

Remember my son, Ryan? The kid who was told he couldn?t do sports just before his senior year in high school? Well now it?s two years later... the summer before his second year of college.

Each summer he?s been scheduled for a echo, but this year my cardiologist ordered a ?cat scan angiogram of his aortic root and arch?. The nurse promised me that it wasn?t the same type of angiogram I had before my heart surgery. She said no wires would be inserted into his heart. Whew! But she did say his blood stream would be loaded up with a pint of an iodine solution.

I can?t find anything about this procedure on the internet. Have any of you had it done? Is it more accurate than an echo? Scares me, letting them put all that stuff in his blood stream.

I find myself even more paranoid about every procedure he has done, than I was about the ones I had. Scary stuff.

Thanks,
Rain

Hi Rain,

I had one done about a month ago. It's not bad at all as long as he isn't allergic to the contrast dye. It is quick. They'll inject the dye and he'll feel a warm, flushed feeling for about 30 seconds, as he is scanned. My test lasted all of about 5 minutes.

It is much more accurate then an echo, but a T.E.E. is even more so then an echo is.

I forgot to add that line, sorry!

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Now I'm embarrassed

Now I'm embarrassed

Thank you, Ross and Fred.

It was the ?angiogram? part of the test name that had me confused and a little worried.

Ryan had the test done late yesterday afternoon. They let me watch the computer screen while they did the test. It was way cool!! You could see EVERYTHING inside his body... even the food in his tummy!

The ironic thing... I?ve had this very same test done! I just didn?t know it was called an angiogram. lol

Thanks, again.
Rain

I don't know why they said angiogram. Sometimes, they attach terms to things that don't quite belong there. I think they'd been better served just to say CATSCAN.

Yes, what were the results? Let me guess, your awaiting a phone call on that?

Yah Ross is right.
They are called "a ct scan with contrast." David has had 2 for his brain tumor. Which, by the way, has shrunk one third since he started chemo!

rain,
i hope the results come back saying that it's all trivial and not serious.
please let us know as soon as you find out. you are in our thoughts and preyers.

mara,
so glad to see david's tumor is shrinking and the chemo is working!
i had a friend who was very ill with a very aggressive breast cancer and she taught me that the chemo does not always do the job it's supposed to. great news.

thinking about you all,
God bless, sylvia

biomedical engineering hat back on

biomedical engineering hat back on

A CAT scan is, literally, "Computer Aided Tomography" which provides a 3-D image of structures. Echocardiograms, whether transthoracic or esophogeal (TEE) can be very useful, but yield only two dimensional views. A CAT scan is very useful when proportional visualization of a structure will aid in diagnosis.

There is yet another kind of scan, which few facilities are equipped for, called a PET scan, short for "Positron Emission Tomography." This test shows both structure and function, that is, in the case of a tumor for example, the metabolic rate shows up as a color on the scan, different from surrounding tissues. Unfortunately, this test remains very expensive and is difficult to obtain.

Increasingly, computer enhanced images will allow the tracking of valve calcification. We all will have less invasive and more accurate diagnostic imaging tools in our future...there is lots of progress being made in this field.

Best,
John

Last edited:
Hi Rain,

I have 3 CT's with contrast taken every year. I have a thoractic, abdominal, and pelvic. These are taken to help detect any new aneurysm or dissection development.

Here is some more info..

How are AORTIC ANEURYSMS detected?
Patients sometimes detect an aneurysm by feeling a pulsating mass in the abdomen, or it may be found by their physician during a routine physical examination. The best way to detect unsuspected aortic aneurysms is by an ultrasound or CAT scan of the abdomen. Ultrasound is quick, inexpensive, non-invasive, and accurate; if the aorta can be seen, the presence of an aneurysm can be identified or excluded. CAT scans of the abdomen remain the most accurate tests for aortic aneurysm, both for initial detection and for determining aneurysm size. They provide information equal to MRI scans.

Hope this helps some,

Rob

John-
Here is more info than you wanted about PET scans. They are "all the rage" among personal injury attorneys, expecially those who specialize in traumatic brain injury litigation because they are supposed to give the best views of damage to the brain from closed head injury, things like car crashes and diving accidents. Once the jury gets to see someone's squahed up brain, those damage awards got right up. Medical technology" a double edged sword.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you all, so much. I?ve learned a lot from you and I really appreciate your support. :)

I also asked the lady running the computer a zillion questions. Then Ryan asked her another zillion. lol She was very nice and she taught us both a lot.

I?ve already sent a request to medical records at the hospital asking for a copy of the report. I like having a copy in my own files.

I?m still anxiously awaiting a call from my cardiologist. I?ll let you know what he has to say. We already know Ryan?s aorta is dilated.

Mara, fantastic news about David!!

Thanks again,
Rain

Answer to Rain,

Answer to Rain,

Kudos to Ross, John, and Rob.....You guys never cease to amaze me. No radiologist could have answered Rain's question any better.

Hi Rain,

I also had a CT scan/angiogram last year to better determine the extent of the bulge in my ascending aorta. Not a big deal. Nothing compared to a cardiac cath.

Sounds like Ryan has come through it fine. My best wishes to both of you through all of these tests.

Steve

Latest posts

Back