Best Days For Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shari

I heard this on the CBS radio news on Wednesday. The University of Toronto did a study on the best/worst days for emergency surgery. What caught my ear was that they used an aortic anneurism as an example of a type of emergency surgery. The study found out that people had a higher mortality rate if they had emergency surgery done on the weekend. It appears that the better surgeons often take weekends off for whatever reason and the hospital has more "second stringers" on the weekends. I laughed and told my husband that Thank God, he passed out in his hotel room on Tuesday and they found the anneurism on Friday! Whew!

This is very true. My mother became ill on Saturday, Christmas Eve, of all the bad times. Ambulance took her to ER where dr agreed she was dreadfully and critically ill; she needed cat scan right away, etc, etc. He took xrays and found normal spine degeneration for one 91 yrs old. Said there was nothing he could do for her and was sending her home and I said we cannot take her home this way; she was in extreme pain couldn't walk and crying out with pain. He said he'd call her dr before he sent her home and I said, good, I will talk to him and that he would admit her. He asked 'do you know him' and of course, I did as he is also my dr and this is a REALLY SMALL town where everybody knows everybody. Of course Mother was admitted, but died 9 days later. This bozo was going to send her home, of all things!! I told my dr about this and he had never heard of the dr. Guess he was called in from some service or other and I don't think he was even a real dr. So, everybody, please do not get sick on weekends if you can help it and if you do, insist your OWN dr be called.:mad:

Hi Shari,
Interesting... very interesting. I also live in a small town (3,200) and know all the doctors here, because I've seen them all! lol

Take care,
Zazzy

Latest posts

Back