Aortic valve too big for tissue replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

d-mac

Does anybody know of instances where the size of an aortic valve or state of calcification meant that surgeons had no option but to replace with a mechanical valve? At what AV size would this eventuate? Where is the measurement taken exactly?

I want to be a little better educated when I next talk to my surgeon as he hit me with this possibility yesterday over the phone. I have yet to refer to my last echo for the size of my aortic root - I guess this is the relevant measurement he will be referring to...

Thanks in anticipation
Darren

It's not impossible, but...

Edwards Lifesciences (bovine pericardial):

Largest CEP model:

"Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Pericardial Aortic Bioprosthesis
Model: 2700 Size: 29MM UOM: EA"

Largest CEPP model:

"Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Plus Pericardial Bioprosthesis
PERIMOUNT Plus Pericardial
Model: 6900P33MM Size: 33MM UOM: EA"

Unfortunately, the size availabilities are not listed for the Perimount Magna model (CEPM). Here's a link to send an email to them for more information: http://www.edwards.com/MedicalProfessionals/LocateYourEdwardsRepresentative.aspx

The Medtronics Mosaic (porcine) goes up to a 29mm size.

Info from St Jude (mechanical):

"The SJM Regent valve is an aortic valve available in sizes 19-27."

For SJM MAsters Series:
Available with the HP series cuff (expanded cuff versions are optional) for aortic placement in 17 to 27 mm sizes, and in standard and expanded polyester or PTFE cuff versions for...aortic (19 to 31 mm sizes) placement.

Doesn't look like they have anything larger in mechanicals than the tissue manufacturers do, from this very quick study. The CE bovine pericardial models seem to go larger than the mechanicals offered, and the porcines almost as large as the mechanicals.

Best wishes,

Size might not be the problem. Do you have CHF? That will enlarge the heart, but not make valve replacement impossible. I was born with congential heart defect of the aortic valve. I developed CHFwhile waiting for surgery, due to dentist problems. But was able to get valve replacement. I am still quite young, 36 at surgery. I would not trade the valve, least get a valve and have surgery 10 years later. You should discuss this with your doctor and make him expalin further of what he meant. There could lots of reasons of him recommending the mechanical valve. You have not stated of approximate of age your are that could be a factor. There are all kinds of reasons. Get the surgeon to explain and get back with us. Take care and good luck.

Thank you both

Caroline - No CHF (Bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aortic anuerysm). I have appointments with my surgeon on the 5th of Nov and then surgery on the 9th. I will talk with him by phone in the meantime prior to seeing him on the 5th. I am 36 as well and know that is a factor in the surgeon's recommendations.

Thanks for the links Bob, I am studying those. Amazing how you have it all at your fingertips - I appreciate your assistance.

I have to ask the surgeon which company's products (mechanical or tissue) they use over here in Australia. I know that he has never talked of or offered Bovine based products. At this stage he favours a human or mechanical valve. As usual with all of us, he says the final decision will be made in theatre. I have a bit of study to do over the next couple of weeks.

I know at my age a tissue valve will not go the distance (hey, assuming on a long life I should say), although we are seeing up to 20 years here in Aus. But then again there is now evidence that a mechanical will not last a long lifetime either. What are the expected lifetimes for mechanical - I thought members have said they have seen moderate calcification now from surgeries performed 25 years ago?

Thank you again
Regards
Darren

Mechanical for life?

Mechanical for life?

Darren,

I find it disappointing that your surgeon apparently dismisses all tissue types other than homografts. Not that there is anything wrong with a homograft (there isn't). It just may be unnecessarily limiting, if that is what's causing the size issue. It would be interesting to note whether the Carpentier-Edwards Perimount Magna is available in Australia, or even the latest CE valve, being trialed in Germany.

Here is a link to a post that has the links for various valve types and manufacturers (sounds much more confusing than it actually is). The post is the third one down in the thread.: http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8653

You're not a gullible person, but just a reminder that the following is not gospel, as it's only my interpretation of what I have read and been exposed to. Others may very well disagree, and may even disagree very well.

What I have read of in terms of mechanicals not lasting a lifetime has not been generally due to a failure of the mechanism, at least since they went past the ball-and-cage setup and the very first ceramic and carbon types, and excluding certain St. Jude Silzone valves.

While some calcification can occur on mechanicals, I don't think I have run across it written up as the reason for an explantation. On uncommon occasions, I have run across readings where tissue growth ("vegetation") on a mechanical has been cited as a cause for explantation. Either way, they were long-term valves, with over 20 years in their owners.

The problem is most often when another issue comes up with the heart, whether it be percussive damage to the tissue at the valve mounting site over time (not as strong an issue with the newer, softer-closing valves), other negative tissue changes over time, an aortic aneurism or dissection, aortic root dilation, damage from endocarditis, or a thrombosis (blood clot).

Heart tissue and aorta problems down the road seem more likely in a congenital bicuspid situation, especially if the tissue tends toward a myxomatous (soft, spongey) nature at the time of surgery. Many people with bicuspid valves do not have this issue, or have it to any extent that it makes any difference in their lifetime, so please don't be unnecessarily upset by this thought.

Here is a link to an interesting technical paper about bicuspid aortic valves, and what can be associated with them in some cases. If it may bother you, please don't read it. I can fully appreciate the feelings that go along with it. It is a PDF, and has excellent, but graphic pictures of excised human valves. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/106/8/900 Here is another paper regarding the sometimes association of BAV and aortic irregularities: http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/23/2/351 There is also a site for BAV, mentioned elsewhere in the forums, which may be of interest to you.

Myxomatous tissue can also develop as a result of CHF, and the associated enlargement of the heart muscle.

Rheumatic and disease-damaged hearts may carry the mechanical well, but may require further surgery down the road on other calcifying valves, which would obviate the point of installing a "lifetime" valve to avoid further surgeries. When AVR is due to disease, the condition of other valves at the time of surgery should be considered in the mix.

There aren't good numbers on mechanical longevity that I have found yet, partly because enough years simply haven't passed. However, my gut feel is that the average installed lifespan of the pre-2003 models is going to be about 25-27 years, with a fair number of people with no other intervening issues making it past 30 years. The post-2003 generation may be even longer in those with no other issues intervening. Again, the average length of time in service would not be mainly due to the devices themselves, which would probably easily outlast their owners if they ran solely on their own merits. If you have a long life ahead of you, a mechanical may well not be a lifetime answer.

On the other hand, it is almost a given that a mechanical valve will outlast any type of tissue valve, especially in a younger patient (under 50 or so), where early calcification tends to limit tissue valve longevity. Barring, of course, a new, intervening heart issue.

Prior to recent innovations in anticalcification processes, homografts (human tissue valves) normally outlasted xenografts (animal tissue valves) in younger recipients. With current models, the jury is out on which will last longer in young patients. This is one reason you may wish to revisit xenografts with your surgeon. However, the longevity of any type of tissue valve in 20-, 30-, or 40-year-old implantees is highly variable.

Best wishes,

Regarding the CEPM (Carpentier-Edwards Perimount Magna), current flagship of the Edwards Lifesciences line in the US, I received a response:

Our largest Carpentier- Edwards Perimount Magna Valve is 29mm. Please see chart below for available sizes. If you have further questions regarding
heart valves or surgery please visit www.lifeisnow.com.

Thank you,

Christopher
Product Technical Support
Edwards Lifesciences

Name and phone removed to retain his sanity. 29mm is close to the top of the range as well...

Hi,

I live in Brisbane (Australia) and I'll have to replace my aortic valve one day. I spoke to my surgeon, in Prince Charles hospital that has very good reputation, about different valve options. In his opinion homografts from good donors are hard to get in Australia and manufactured tissue valves have comparable durability. In your case you will be recommended a mechanical valve by almost any surgeon. However, it is your choice and I believe you should ask for a second opinion if you can because I think you may get a different answer regarding the size issue. Even if you have to pay for a consultation I think it would be money well spent.
I didn't get much support for the Ross option.

Alan

Even at age 51, both my cardiologists baldly informed me that I was either ignorant or crazy for wanting a biological valve. Fortunately, my surgeon had a different perspective. Saved me a battle.

A note, for consideration and contrast: If you were a woman of childbearing age, a biological valve would definitely be on the table as an option, as childbirth on Coumadin is not at all a favored option.

The reality is that it goes down to the strength of your belief that the day-to-day freedom is worth the resurgery, or that your circumstances would frequently deny you access to appropriate facilities (e.g. you spend weeks at a time wandering in the Outback, or out to sea). It is a very personal decision, and frequently there is no apparent "right" answer.

I'm happy with my own choice. The surgery and the recuperation weren't bad for me. But it is a crapshoot: the surgery goes differently for everyone, and is perceived differently by everyone. I have at least one resurgery remaining, God willing I live long enough. You would have two (or more).

Another note (not to make your head spin): you should be able to switch at any resurgery in either direction, mechanical or tissue.

Best wishes,

Thanks for the feedbak

Thanks for the feedbak

Thank you all...

Another highly informative post Bob... I will take the time to review over the next two days. Thanks for being a great source of information. MY aortic root is 39mm (I guess that indicates approximately the size of the valve below it?) so I will compare that with some of the data you have provided on links. Definitely rules out some of the options if it is that big.

Pam - Glad to hear of your hubby doing so well post surgery. His anuerysm must have been big to go to surgery so fast. Does the ticking drive you mad?

Alan - I am scheduled for the Prince Charles on 9 November. I am very confident with the surgeon and the facility there.

Regards
Darren

Hi Darren,

d-mac said:
MY aortic root is 39mm (I guess that indicates approximately the size of the valve below it?) so I will compare that with some of the data you have provided on links. Definitely rules out some of the options if it is that big.

There is often dilatation of the aortic root in bicuspid AV disease, here is a picture:

5FF2.gif

this is from:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/8/900?view=full#FIG2

My aortic dimensions are 36mm ( i.e. there is some dilatation ). Normal aortic valves are 3-4 sqaure cm in area i.e. around 19-22 mm in diameter -- artificial valves are bigger than this to allow efficient installation I believe but their effective area should be about equal to the size of an undilated root ( the tissues in the root are elastic to handle stress when the body needs increased volume -- read an article on the source of the elasticity but dont remember the terminology ). They might install an artificial elastic sleeve around the root to give the root additional support if they find marked dilatation at regular flow volume.

This is how I understand the situation, I am not a student of medicine -- so you should check with your physician and surgeon, and get your radiology images interpreted.

Burair

Fellow Bicuspid...

Fellow Bicuspid...

Hi Darren

I'm now nearly 8 months post AVR surgery, having opted for the Ross Procedure and gone with an autograft/homograft combinbation. I'm not surprised the Ross was not considered by some, as I believe there are only 2(?) surgeons in Australia qualified to perfrom the procedure and both operate here in Melbourne. My brother and father have both had AVR, with my Dad getting a mechanical valve in NZ at age 65, and my brother having the Ross here in Melbourne seven years ago. Both are fine and have had no real problems. I have trivial leaks on the replacement valves, but the Mean Pressure Gradients across both are fine.

I'm 47 and a keen runner/triathlete so was very interested to have the best option to suit an active lifestyle. Having seen my then 37 year old brother come through the Rodd procedure so well, I didn't hesitate to go down that track. Both my brother and I had enlarged Aortas necessitating dacron tube replacements.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you want to chat further - there are a number of Aussies connected now with these forums.

Kind regards

Grant Stewart
aka 'The Faster Pastor'

Latest posts

Back