? about a broken rib shown on ct scan

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

Hey guys! I just got results form the cat scan I had done of my chest since the Duke docs said I had a collapsed lung. All looks well except for the fact a broken right rib was showing up with a wire around it. Is that unusual? I didnt know I had any broken ribs.

My first heart surgery was done by a robot and he went in under my right breast. Do you think he broke a rib getting in? This is news to me.

Confused (so whats new?)
:rolleyes:

Alicia,
Glad to hear from you! If there was an award for "stuff" that happens to people, you would be a hands down winner! I'm not familiar with ribs being broken, maybe someone in our group is, but what I can't believe is that no one ever told you about it! Great to hear that besides this "new news" everything is going well for you. Please take care and keep us updated...

Hi Alicia

Hi Alicia

Good news about your cat scan..and lungs..Cannot resist this..:DBut do you think the Robot broke it by accident and didn't tell the doctor :p :p :p :p Seriously, I'm glad eveything looks good.You take care. Bonnie:)

Doesn't the "port" access method that they use with robots go *between* the ribs? I was not aware that they had to cut ribs, so perhaps the rib was broken in the process. I can't believe you didn't have any pain from it *if* that's what really happened.

Let us know what you find out...

Since the report says "an old,healed right anterior fifth rib fracture
and a wire at the costochondral junction of the right forth rib" am
I to assume this had to be from the first surgery? The second surgery was Jan 6th of this year and I cant see where they would state that it was an old healed fracture.

Believe me I will be getting in touch with the cardiac surgeon that did my first surgery and get a copy of the op notes and see if he mentioned it there and find out WHY he never informed me!

Im really glad my lung is better other than "mild subsegemental atelectasis" but this rib thing has me puzzled.
Any thoughts?

Alicia,
It has been my understanding that when they do that kind of surgery they do cut a rib in half for access.
I have often wondered about that since I had a fractured rib in the same area. When they opened my chest they aggravated the old injury. It took two days before I could convince them that the only pain I had was from my rib and not my surgery.

Before Joe's HeartPort surgery, he actually asked the surgeon whether he would have to break a rib. He told Joe no, that he would spread the ribs a little, and that's how it worked out.

I read the description of Heart Port procedure somewhere, and they mentioned spreading the ribs like bucket handles.

Hi Alica,

Was under the same impression that your ribs would be spread during port access. Though, if you think about it there is a possibility if they are a little rough or your bone density is lower than normal you could experiance a break. Just the fact that they have it wired is a good indicator they are aware. Why they didn't tell inform you at the time is another story.

Yes, I would call on that surgeon for an explanation. A full body bone density scan may not be a bad idea. You may be prone to breaks. They can slow down this process with Fosomax (sp). My father has been on this medication once a week and has seen great improvement in his bone density. It's not just for old folks these days. There are a good deal of us with comprised density.

Take care....

Last edited:
Wonder why the most recent surgeon didn't explain the possibility of the broken rib being caused by the first surgery? Surely, it's from that. Glad you are doing well now.

I had a bone scan 7 months after my AVR for my cancer check up. I had to "green breaks" of two ribs up towards my left side...They told me it was from pulling the ribs back. But if you had robotic surgery, I wonder. At anyrate you should have been told since they obviously knew it was there if they wired it together. My ribs gave me more long term pain than anything else. I had twinges from them for over a year.

I for one know first hand that they do not tell you everything after surgery. I'm glad that it is an old fracture. Enough is enough. You don't need anymore. I'm always thinking of you. Love Peg

What I would like to know is why they didn't catch it when they had you in for your last surgery? They had to have had a clearview of your ribs at SOME point, and seen that. I would ask them that.

I see my cardiologist next month and I know he has copies of the op notes from both surgeries and Im going to talk to him about this and look at those op notes and get his opinion (which I trust with my life).

Im not looking for trouble I just cant believe I wasnt told. Im feeling so much better now thank God. I start cardiac rehab next week. My plan is after I complete that I am going back to my aqua aerobics classes 3 times a week. Im determined to get my heart back in shape.

Thanks for everybodies responses. I appreciate all of you!!!
I thought Ross would put his 2 cents in. Where are you Ross?

Hugs to all
:)

Latest posts

Back