5 week checkup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Hi folks ...yesterday I met with a Cardiologist ...not my usual one ...but here we don't get the choice ...and what did I learn ...absolutely nothing ...he told me nothing ...when I asked him a question he answered in as little words as possible ...he listened to my heart ...took my bp ...sent me for a Xray and ECG and had a blood work done ..then he told me he would send a ltter to my GP in about ten days ...he did ask me how I feel ...when I asked him about palpatations I'm haing ..he said he would see the tests ...ah well another day in the life of an NHS patient.....
I'm still feeling fragile and I cann't believe how little I do before feeling extremely tired ..is this normal ?....I'm not depressed but I feel "safer" at home with my hubby ..how is being wonderful ..but I've never been a "clingon"wife before so this is a new experience before ..I hate meeting people ...I don't really know what to say to them even when they are being nice ...and I hate the way they are assessing me as I feel I look awful ..
ah well ...that's todays moan ...how is everyone else doing ?
Take care all
Scottie

I'll moan too! I don't feel good. I'm catching a cold or something. Dang Ohio weather. It's supposed to snow a couple times this week. O.k. that's my moan.

You are feeling like anyone would at 5 weeks. I hate the dependency thing too, but what choice do we have. We could be in nursing homes!

Rest when your tired. I get tired frequently, but can't sleep worth a poop. I'm just glad to see your over the top and are on the way to recovery. :)

Scottie and Ross - both of you get as much rest as you can for recuperation. It is beginning to be cold where you are and we want you to stay well.

Scottie, try not to push it too fast - it will come. This has been an emotional experience for you as well as physical and you have to get over all of it. Sounds like that dr treated you the way a lot of American doctors do. Must be something in the medical school water fountain! Just please rest and try not to worry. Love to you and God bless

Scottie and Ross

Scottie and Ross

Scottie, it is hard to get a doctor, no matter how good he/she is to listen to the patient and having a good bedside manner. But somehoe you trust this doctor. Just have to be patient and wait out the results for now. Just keep hanging in there.

Ross, I am suffering from algeries of the outside mold. We have not had much rain in the midwest this summer and the season has been hard early. You take care and hope your cold goes away soon.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortc valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Scottie,

Was good to read that you are coming along. Was sorry to hear about the NHS system you have but look at it this way, no bad news is good news.

I also had the X-ray and blood work after week three as I had a bit of fluid in my right lower lung. It was treated with lexis (water pill) so all is OK now.

I hope you are walking around as I found that to be the best medicine, at least for me. Was never really a walker before all this happened but I am rapidly becoming a dedicated one now. You really have to get out and move the body around. Are you doing any re-hab at the hospital? I go twice a week; bike, stair-stepper, treadmill and stretches.

What is this bit about you don?t like to meet people? You met us and look what happened. You now have friends in America that care about you and how you are doing. So let?s stay in touch because we all care about you.

Walter

Scottie,

Was good to read that you are coming along. Was sorry to hear about the NHS system you have but look at it this way, no bad news is good news.

I also had the X-ray and blood work after week three as I had a bit of fluid in my right lower lung. It was treated with lexis (water pill) so all is OK now.

I hope you are walking around as I found that to be the best medicine, at least for me. Was never really a walker before all this happened but I am rapidly becoming a dedicated one now. You really have to get out and move the body around. Are you doing any re-hab at the hospital? I go twice a week; bike, stair-stepper, treadmill and stretches.

What is this bit about you don?t like to meet people? You met us and look what happened. You now have friends in America that care about you and how you are doing. So let?s stay in touch because we all care about you.

Walter

Scottie, I too feel safer at home but I have started to drive this week so I can get the blood tests, etc. Glad to see you posting, not a day goes by that I don't think of you-we are kind of connected by the dates of our surgery. I felt like we did it together. Keep coming back and stay in touch. You will get better, I know.

I don't feel I have any more choice with my insurance than you do with the NHS. In fact, in some ways it is worse. My cardio is one of the few in the area that take my insurance, but he is good. As is the surgeon.

Just testing for the INR: Cardio office uses finger stick, but my insurance makes me go to a different lab. Thankfully one of the ladies there is so good she hits the vein every time with no pain, but at the hospital it was many attempts and usually a fair amount of pain to get the tests. Now we will be changing insurance and a different lab is required. None want to do it the easy way through the cardio office. Very little choice, unless you want to get out the old checkbook and start paying the fees.

I have been fed up with this whole system most of my life and the health care community will actually be the cause of some form of NHS here within the next generation, I think. No one can afford the costs and too many people go with out insurance. Thus go without medical services.

Bill

Scottie,
The "clingon" thing will pass with time. I had that too at first...was glad I had someone to "clingon" to! I remember being a little scared to walk too far from home, and what the neighbors would say when I ran into them.

Things really change by the time you're 4 months post-op! The neighbors sort of look in awe when they see me running up-hill! Yesterday I walked through the park, down to the lake (quite a ways from home), then climbed up a 40 foot rope jungle gym, just 'cause I thought I could. Amazing how much confidence returns as your health improves...especially when you discover you can do things you haven't done in a long time.

Sorry you have such a twit for a doctor!

Best,
John

Looking back, I clung, as well. Stayed with my nurse cousin for a month and was quite comfortable moving about the house alone and while she/husband were asleep ( I had the coffee ready for them), but going out that door was a whole other thing. She was my 'protection' and my safe haven. It passes, tho, Scottie.

Hi Scottie-

Joe has always hung around the house for quite a while during the healing process. Remember your body has taken a big hit and it does take a few months to get back to a more normal life. It's only been a wee bit of time since your surgery. You will return to the old Scottie and you will be feeling better, I promise. Be patient with yourself and indulge yourself by being clingy whenever you want, also rest as much as you feel like. It's all part of the wonderful process the body goes through to heal. You will never have another opportunity to be this dependent, it might feel strange, but it's right for you at the moment.

Go with the flow and be peaceful in your excellent recovery.

Your doctor is a big jerk. I'm sure he knows his stuff, but he needs a good checkup from the neckup.

Scottie - Good to hear from you. If you are extremely tired, I would be a little concerned, however if you are improving, even slowly, I would not be as concerned. Also, if you told your cardio about extreme fatigue, what did he say? You are in the right place for not meeting people, but this is a lot better. You can say something, maybe looking for information and several wonderful people will respond.

Hi Scottie!

Hi Scottie!

I too have been having heart flutters etc...I had them in the hospital and since I have been home. All of the docs I've seen, Cleveland etc...are not concerned. They said for me it is just an extra beat. They told me as long as the rhythm is ok it is nothing to worry about. I too have that safe feeling when I'm at home. I do get a little bit, and the other day when I did go out is when I had an eye convergence thing going on. My mother is here watching the baby and next week my in-laws are coming to replace her for a couple weeks. I just said the other day that I know I'm going to be a little scared once everyone goes home and I am taking care of everything again. I am looking into taking cardiac rehab. I have been told by others that it really helps get your confidence back. I also want to let you know that I went out with my hubby and did a big grocery shopping the other nite. By the time I did the shopping and put 3/4 of the food away, I was so surprised at how tired I was and also at how sore my shoulders were. I am slowly getting better, but it certainly feels like it is going awfully slow. I thought by 3 to 4 weeks post op I wouldn't have any more pain, stiffness, soreness etc.....LOL!!! What was I thinking!!!!!!:D :D I believe everything you are feeling is completely normal. Take it easy!

Creed3

hi scottie!
so glad to hear you are feeling better. too bad about the doctor though... what a jerk!
i thought i read that you were having palpitations_ i realize that your being tired is very common, but palpitations? are you still having them?
please try and get as much rest as you can. i remember joey resting A LOT! he also stayed home for quite some time, making little outings with me during the day or at night when he wasn't too tired.
if you are still having palpitations, i think you might want to check that out. otherwise, you will certainly feel stronger with each new day. please try and be patient and rest up.
also, we are all here for you.
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back