Will I ever sleep again

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredmls

Day 3 Post-op. Went into a-fib last night and both then and tonight I can't fall asleep because I can feel my heart beating. Anyone had something similar? How long did it last? Waiting for some sleep medicine right now.

Chris

Chris ...are you still in the hospital waiting for sleep meds? I would say to you is to try sitting up tro sleep ....often hospitals have easy chairs but no matter I really looked forward to my recliner at home and YES you hear or rather are aware of every sound your body makes

it was a very tough thing to get sleep after my surgery. in the hospital, that is all that there was to do so i would have them give me some pain meds and i was off to sleepy land. i couldnt even watch tv and i sure didnt want to talk to anyone but my girlfriend. but when i got home it was even harder to sleep. i never sleep on my back which made it that much more difficult to get comfortable as well. i tryed my recliner a few nights but i spent several nights dosing on and off.... but i guess i was doing the same during the day so i prob had a lot more sleep then what it felt like.

my valve is really loud and i wouldnt have it any other way! it is going to take way tooooo much energy to hate my valve then to just enjoy it. i've hopefully got a long time with it and i am happy to have it! your new valve is part of you and soon you will forget that it is there .... at times. i think that many people just need to embrace the sound and their mind will quit focusing on the thumping as much!

you are going to feel so much better in the next few weeks..... you will be amazed! good luck!!!

Chris,
You may need a sleep aid for a short while after surgery, but as you heal sleeping should get better. Beating hearts are a good thing be glad that you can feel it and remember that it's recovering from a fairly invasive procedure and will take a little time to heal before it settles down. Generally every day gets a little better but there will be noticeable improvement as measured by weeks and months.
Best,
John

I had to chuckle when I read the title of the thread. Inability to sleep was one of the worst side effects of my replacement. I think it took about two weeks before I could sleep any length of time. Try not to fret; it will get better.:smile2:

I remember my heart going wild every time I tried to lay down.
It seemed to be everywhere: in my throat, in my ears, and in my chest.
Keeping the head of the bed up helped immensely and it does get better.

Thanks everyone. Bina - that is exactly what mine is like. I guess it's like living in a house with steam heat or one next to the airport or railroad - the longer you hear the sound, the more your system gets used to it. Chest tubes and pacing wires came out today. What a great feeling to be untethered. On to day 5 and hopefully home on day 6 (as long as I stay out of a-fib)

Chris
AVR Bovine Valve (I think Edwards) on 10/27/10

You might have trouble sleeping for a while. Weird things may happen too, for example I have gone from a night owl to an early bird. My entire life I stayed up late, sometimes until sunrise, yeah even as a child. Now I can't sleep past 7 am.

I couldnt sleep horizontal till 10 weeks post op. the super loud heartbeat literally shook the bed. I slept inclined using a portable support. i still have to lie on my back but its nice to be horizontal at last. The beating is a lot quieter now. the physio told me they cut the (pericardial?) sac the heart sits in so u do hear it more loudly until the scar on the sac heals. Hope it gets better for u soon x

I remember that time all too well... soon as I went to bed my heart felt like it was wigging out in my chest even though I was propped up. It does get better, be patient for you may notice it for quite some time.. sleep isn't always as good as you would like after surgery.. it has been almost 5 months and my sleep patterns have finally gotten better.. not great but better... sleep is over rated anyways.. :)
Good Luck.. best wishes for a speed recovery.

Latest posts

Back