Wife is having surgery to replace aortic valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravo64

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and to my wife having complications from her heart. She has congenital aortic stenosis which is now labeled, "severe aortic stenosis" in addition to pulmonary hypertension. From what I gather after speaking to the surgeon, her aortic stenosis is 0.7-0.8cm2. She has moderate regurgitation as well. Then, she also has ascending aortic aneurysm. She was initially hospitalized at local hospital, which is considered a trauma center that has a heart center. Needless to say, they gave us the run around for over 10 days then came to us and advised us they couldn't do the heart surgery because they needed a ventricular assist device machine and due to her pulmonary hypertension. My question to the doctors was, "she had the pulmonary hypertension 10 days ago and you didn't have this machine 10 days ago, so why did you keep her and put her through all those exams/procedures." I feel they took advantage of her insurance company for all they could, prior to referring us to a more specialized hospital. Anyway, that's something I will address at a later time. Now, the important thing is, she is at a hospital that can help her. I'm just very concerned, as she is, about facing the surgery and the long road ahead of her. Not only did the new surgeon speak on how he would proceed, he also had her screened for a heart transplant. That freaked me out, for a lack of a better term. The surgeon explained that he likes to have a "backup" plan available, god forbid there are complications and her heart doesn't respond. Is this normal procedure based on what I've described above? Has anyone else experienced this before? Has anyone else been diagnosed with the same conditions I listed above and had a positive outcome? Looking for some advice, please.

I don't know anything about this in particular, but there was a man in my cardiac rehab group who had a heart transplant at Cleveland Clinic. He was doing great...perfect example of a good outcome in even the worst case scenario! Wishing you and your wife the best!

I've read here that heart transplant surgery is actually easier technically than some of the complicated heart surgeries some of us here on VR.org have experienced.

Bravo64,
It sounds like your wife is now in very good hands with a cautious surgeon looking out for all her best interests. I'd rather someone more careful than not. This is all very frightening when we and our loved ones are going through our heart surgeries but really..... to the surgeons and their entire teams this is another day at the office. They are so experienced, have seen it all, have handled it all and are so well equipped to cope with whatever comes up that it gave me great comfort through my two OHS to trust in their skill and knowledge.

Be sure you are at a very fine heart center with a surgeon in whom both your wife and you have great trust and faith.
Please let us know how she is doing.

I've read here that heart transplant surgery is actually easier technically than some of the complicated heart surgeries some of us here on VR.org have experienced.

Bravo64,
It sounds like your wife is now in very good hands with a cautious surgeon looking out for all her best interests. I'd rather someone more careful than not. This is all very frightening when we and our loved ones are going through our heart surgeries but really..... to the surgeons and their entire teams this is another day at the office. They are so experienced, have seen it all, have handled it all and are so well equipped to cope with whatever comes up that it gave me great comfort through my two OHS to trust in their skill and knowledge.

Be sure you are at a very fine heart center with a surgeon in whom both your wife and you have great trust and faith.
Please let us know how she is doing.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Will do.

Good luck to your wife!
I hope everything goes well for her, will keep you in my thoughts,
xxxxx

While reading your post asking for prayer, I noticed that you mention CHF in it. I am not dr, but I would expect CHFto be a pretty big concern in regards to surgery and possible outcomes. I would not consider the valve, by itself, to be as big of a surgical concern. However in combination with CHF, a Dr. might be considering transplant as an option.

I have to side with Duffey on a trip to the CCF. (I admit I am a little biased). I really would recommend making sure your surgeon/team is well qualified and experienced with the treatment of difficult cases. Ask how many they have performed. Ask what their most difficult case has been. Ask what they will do if it becomes too difficult and will they know when it does.

While reading your post asking for prayer, I noticed that you mention CHF in it. I am not dr, but I would expect CHFto be a pretty big concern in regards to surgery and possible outcomes. I would not consider the valve, by itself, to be as big of a surgical concern. However in combination with CHF, a Dr. might be considering transplant as an option.

Ralph, You are both in my prayers today, since i believe your wife is in sugey now. Sorry I didnt reply earlier, but I was a little confused, and MAYBE understand a little why the first hospital took so long t decide they couldnt help her. Do you know IF she is definately getting Ventricular Assist Device machine placed along with the Valve replacement, or did they just want her to be at a hospital that could place a VAD IF needed? It might be that the first hospital didnt realize she would possibly need a VAD, or transplant until they had all the test results and that is why they didnt refer to a larger, more qualified for complex cases hospital or VADs and transplants, earlier.

FWIW it isnt common for a normal valve replacements patient, to be screened for heart transplants, if that is what you are asking, BUT we have had a couple members, who did use a VAD and did wel. they knew before surgey they would get them tho.

I think your docotors might not be explaining things to you as well as they should. When your wife is feeling better froher surgery if she had it today, I would definately let the docotrs know you want to discuss everything going on and what the next step might be as well as all the options.

Latest posts

Back