Who has tissue AV?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that coming into the decision with the notion that Coumadin could make you bleed out with a hangnail, keeps you from being active, means you can't ever have another beer, etc. would be a serious perceptual handicap. Same for the ancient notion that a tissue valve would only last 8-10 years.

I think that not considering ACT (balancing clotting and bleeding) or not considering possible reoperations as a part of making a decision about which valve type to use would be an equally serious blunder.

Best wishes,

I went with a bovine tissue valve four months ago at the age of 62. After much agonizing over which way to go, it was the right decision for me. My only advice to you would be to make the decision that you believe is right for you--and don't look back! Whatever you decide is correct for you--regardless of anyone else's opinion.

I think that coming into the decision with the notion that Coumadin could make you bleed out with a hangnail, keeps you from being active, means you can't ever have another beer, etc. would be a serious perceptual handicap. Same for the ancient notion that a tissue valve would only last 8-10 years.

I think that not considering ACT (balancing clotting and bleeding) or not considering possible reoperations as a part of making a decision about which valve type to use would be an equally serious blunder.

Best wishes,

It's Badminton time! :D

All I ask is that people study up on the real facts behind anticoagulation before committing one way or the other, that's all.

Ever single new person that comes in here has the same old song, "I wanted to avoid anticoagulation because of, "insert issue here." Their reasoning is unfounded for the most part, simply because they've never really looked into it or talked with those of us on it. They've "heard" things from people and even some in the medical profession and it scares them. They automatically shut the brain off and forget to look into it because of that.

Nobody here has bled to death from a hangnail of any other cause that I'm aware of anticoagulation wise, we all eat a normal diet, we all drink what we want, some people drink in excess, but hey, they are doing what they want to do and anticoagulation has not stopped them. There is little difference in clotting time between 10 seconds and 30 seconds. You don't bleed faster, you just clot slower. If you've done something serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER, then chances are, you'd of needed to go there even if you weren't anticoagulated.

The biggest point I'm trying to make is that if you should develop Chronic Afib as a result of surgery, your going to be on anticoagulants regardless of your choice in valves. If your young, that is something to ponder.

If your an older individual or even at the dividing line, I'll be the first to say go tissue if you have a choice. Older folks bleed easier to start with, so being on Coumadin can be a problem for you late it life. I mean late late too 80's and 90's.

It's Badminton time! :D

All I ask is that people study up on the real facts behind anticoagulation before committing one way or the other, that's all.

Ever single new person that comes in here has the same old song, "I wanted to avoid anticoagulation because of, "insert issue here." Their reasoning is unfounded for the most part, simply because they've never really looked into it or talked with those of us on it. They've "heard" things from people and even some in the medical profession and it scares them. They automatically shut the brain off and forget to look into it because of that.

Nobody here has bled to death from a hangnail of any other cause that I'm aware of anticoagulation wise, we all eat a normal diet, we all drink what we want, some people drink in excess, but hey, they are doing what they want to do and anticoagulation has not stopped them. There is little difference in clotting time between 10 seconds and 30 seconds. You don't bleed faster, you just clot slower. If you've done something serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER, then chances are, you'd of needed to go there even if you weren't anticoagulated.

The biggest point I'm trying to make is that if you should develop Chronic Afib as a result of surgery, your going to be on anticoagulants regardless of your choice in valves. If your young, that is something to ponder.

If your an older individual or even at the dividing line, I'll be the first to say go tissue if you have a choice. Older folks bleed easier to start with, so being on Coumadin can be a problem for you late it life. I mean late late too 80's and 90's.
Sorry Ross, I disagree to an extent. I was in ER because of my inability to clot and hold on to them around 2 months ago. My INR was between 2.4 and 3. Treatment was amino acid and to stop taking my daily dose of coumadin and the heart dose of ASA. It took 3 days to stop.

This was a slightly outside of normal, menopausal bleed and if I'd not been on ACT I have every reason to believe that I would have stopped on my own.

Sorry Ross, I disagree to an extent. I was in ER because of my inability to clot and hold on to them around 2 months ago. My INR was between 2.4 and 3. Treatment was amino acid and to stop taking my daily dose of coumadin and the heart dose of ASA. It took 3 days to stop.

This was a slightly outside of normal, menopausal bleed and if I'd not been on ACT I have every reason to believe that I would have stopped on my own.

Hey your all free to disagree. Just like me dental bleed. They automatically blamed Coumadin and when they brought my INR down 1.0, I was still bleeding like crazy. It was a bad stitching job and it opened up. The bleeding wasn't the Coumadins fault. Ain't no way this was going to stop on it's own.

HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO..!

This is Laura's thread and she's asking for comments from folks who have a tissue aortic valve..!!

And since I don't, I'll just wish Laura all the success in the world this Thursday.

HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO..!

This is Laura's thread and she's asking for comments from folks who have a tissue aortic valve..!!

And since I don't, I'll just wish Laura all the success in the world this Thursday.

Heeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooo point taken.

There are lots of tissue valves out here. I received one at 52, over five years ago, and although it's too small for me, and has been operating under very high pressure, it's functioning perfectly and has no calcification or leakage. It's very rare that a valve too small is implanted, and it isn't related to valve type.

There are a lot of tissue valves out there, because over half of the valves going in these days are tissue.

The wisdom used to be that anyone over 65 and not on coumadin should get a tissue valve. The number has gotten younger as valves and surgery progress. Regarding patient longevity, this is from the AHA site: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3043397

Best wishes,

HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO..!

LOL and I needed to laugh at this time! Seriously, there's so much good information here and I have a lot of questions for my doctor tomorrow. I was more concerned with the possibility of hearing the mechanical valve than I was worried about the coumadin. A friend of mine's SIL had a tissue valve put in when she was about 41, went home from surgery and immediately started drinking her normal cocktails (she's not an alcoholic, just likes her wine) and smoking her cigarettes. Well, you can guess how long it took for her to have a massive stroke. So I guess my point is anything is possible after the surgery especially if you abuse your body and don't let it heal.

Since I'm close to 60 (ouch), I'm going tissue and will look into the Medtronic Mosaic tomorrow - thanks Kathy - I like the possibility of a 20 years lifespan and the latest and greatest!

Thanks so much all for the well wishes. I'm starting to feel a calm coming over me and just want it over. The thought of not always feeling tired and running again is helping me along with all of you. Thanks so much.

10 yrs still?

10 yrs still?

Laura,
I just had my surgery in Feb, and beforehand was told by my surgeon and a cardiologist with my medical grp that I should only count on tissue lasting around 10 yrs. I questioned this, but they both agreed about the 10 yrs.
And this was at Stanford Hospital, where heart surgery is tops. I am still wondering about this since so many on this site have been told that the new valves last 18 yrs. Well, that's my 2 cents. I got a redo of my mechanical with another mechanical, at almost 55. So, I guess my surgeon expects me to live 20-30 more yrs!
Yes, the clicking drives you a bit nuts, especially at night, or when performing with an orchestra and having a solo! But, you do get used to it and often don't even hear it after quite a long while.

Spoke with my cardiologist's office today! He prefers mechanical because he sees me as very young (love the guy!) but my surgeon prefers tissue. I'm a Libra and decisions do not come easy :) Seriously, I am sticking with tissue and found out today that he uses the Medtronic Mosaic. I will just pray for the next 10-15 years that they find a way to fix it the next time in a cath lab!

His nurse also told me today that they know of this website and consider it a great support group! She couldn't believe how much I learned in a few short days about the valves and I told her it was thanks to all of you.

hi go with what you think best for YOU,theres drawbacks and pluses whatever you pick,hence its so hard to choose,whatever you pick its gonna be better than the valve you got now,good luck :)

The disparity in estimated valve life is related to age. 34 years old is young for a tissue valve, although many young women choose tissue valves to safely carry children. Younger people calcify tissue valves much more quickly, as they are basically much more chemically reactive.

While you are no doubt a real firecracker with great social and personal chemistry, it's very likely that your blood chemistry isn't as highly reactive as a 34-year-old's insofar as calcifying valves is concerned.

Best wishes,

I had a tissue valve five years ago and just recently my cardio told me that my body is rejecting this valve. He said I would probably have to have it replaced within the year. I sure didn't want to hear this. I could't have the mechanical valve because of the Coumadin. It doesn't mix with the "Gleevec" that I have to take for my leukemia. And I have to have the Gleevec to survive, so it's another tissue valve for me. My cardio said he would see me in six months in his office or in the OR before that. He sure wasn't very encouraging. I decided I'm going to prove him wrong! I have before and I will this time too. Just watch me! !:D:D

If you want the most documented longevity, the tissue valve for that would be the Carpentier-Edwards Perimount Magna, which is the current version of the cow pericardium tissue valves that are averaging over 20 years of useful life (and counting) in people over 65. That would likely make you feel most comfortable.

The Mosaic hasn't been out for twenty years, and thus doesn't have that kind of documentation.

Best wishes,

Well, countdown is now 11 hours to OR. Surgeon's office said today which tissue valve is implanted which depend on size. He said the Medtronic Mosaic tends to be larger so I may wind up with pig. I won't know until tomorrow but I'm only 5'3" and about 125 lbs but my family tells me I have a big heart - ha ha ha.

Carpenter-Edwards sounds good to be Bob - 20 years would put me at almost 79! Glenda, I'm sorry you may have to have surgery again. Prove them wrong!

Thanks again everyone and I'll be back. xoxoxo

Back