Who does the cardiac cath?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cardiologist did my catherization prior to my surgery. He specializes in interventional cardiology.

Mark

Mine too. I felt secure knowing my cardio was the one doing the cath. He also did my angioplasty. It was nice knowing that the doctor who knows my heart best was also doing my procedures.

Cardiologist or radiologist?

Cardiologist or radiologist?

I'm a radiologist. Radiologists invented and perfected cardiac catheterization. I always thought I would have a radiologist do mine when the time came.
However I liked and trusted my cardiologist , so when he said he would do me, I said fine. He was great ,very slick and I watched the screen the whole time. Very interesting. I was particularly happy that my coronaries were OK.
It looks like the cardiologists have most of the business now and its probably for the best.

I just called the cardio's office and told the receptionist that we want to book a cath and we want it done at BWH. Phew!

We talked it all out last night and this morning Joe gave me the go-ahead.

I knew it made sense to go to BWH but it was soooo very hard to discuss that option with the doctor yesterday. And you're right Lyn and Judy we do not have a long-standing relationship with this doctor - Joe only saw her at his first consult, the stress test and yesterday's follow-up but it was still a toughie! But you are all correct that we have to do what is right for us and not the doctor and not choosing to go to one of the best hospitals that people come to from far away that is practically in our backyard doesn't make sense.

The receptionist will call me this afternoon after the doctor returns to the office with instructions about setting an appointment. So while I wait for that call I will try to do some research about the different stents. Judy -Thanks for that heads-up as that was not something I paid attention to in my original research.

Also the cardio said yesterday that if she did the cath the procedure would be that if it was a small blockage and only one it would be fixed with the stent but if there were multiple blockages or if it was a long blockage, then bypass would be necessary.

Thanks again for the information and the support! :)

I'm glad you made your decision, I usually feel a sense of relief when my gut tells me I made the "right' choice as far as Justin's medical journey. I hope oyou have a little of that peace,

we have an appointment in Boston

we have an appointment in Boston

Just thought I'd give you an update...

I actually took a giant step late Tuesday afternoon. The cardiologist's assistant called me back and asked if we had a particluar doctor in mind at the BWH. When I said no, we are just looking for an interventional cardio to do the whole procedure she mentioned that there was another cardio from their group who can and does do procedures at the Brigham. I asked if he was an interventional card and when she said no, I said no we would prefer one doctor start to finish. She then told me she would have to talk with the doctor and get back to me Wednesday with the info about going to BWH.

With that I searched the BWH website and called the Interventional Cardaic Cath Unit myself and got an appointment for next Wednesday at 8:00 am. It was the first available date so I took it so we can get the ball rolling. Our appointment is with the cardiologist who serves as the Director of the Center.
That was a double PHEW moment!!!

I was a little nervous and hoping that I didn't step out of line. When I called the local cardio's office this morning, the assistant said that it was fine and she took the fax number in order to send his records to them. I guess where on our way in to Boston.

Just thought I'd give you an update...

I actually took a giant step late Tuesday afternoon. The cardiologist's assistant called me back and asked if we had a particluar doctor in mind at the BWH. When I said no, we are just looking for an interventional cardio to do the whole procedure she mentioned that there was another cardio from their group who can and does do procedures at the Brigham. I asked if he was an interventional card and when she said no, I said no we would prefer one doctor start to finish. She then told me she would have to talk with the doctor and get back to me Wednesday with the info about going to BWH.

With that I searched the BWH website and called the Interventional Cardaic Cath Unit myself and got an appointment for next Wednesday at 8:00 am. It was the first available date so I took it so we can get the ball rolling. Our appointment is with the cardiologist who serves as the Director of the Center.
That was a double PHEW moment!!!

I was a little nervous and hoping that I didn't step out of line. When I called the local cardio's office this morning, the assistant said that it was fine and she took the fax number in order to send his records to them. I guess where on our way in to Boston.

Good for YOU. I know it can be tough to insist for what you think is best, so I'm glad you were able to wotk this out and he will have the best. You must be proud of yourself.

My heart cath was done a week ago by my own cardiologist in a local hospital. I will travel to San Francisco for my surgery on Tuesday which will be done by my cardio surgeon.
Praying for a good outcome.

Darrla

Back