Where do you look for a moniter to purchase?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

I have been doing a few searches but i havnt had much luck.

when i do find a moniter, it says that only a medical prof can purchase them.

how do i find one that i can get some info to my insur company to purchase me one

You might ask your insurance company if there are any companies that they've dealt with to buy the meters. Although they may not like to pay for the meter, they may still have some companies that they deal with.

Your MD should be able to write you a prescription for a meter and strips. HOWEVER, I've found that dealing with companies that fill prescriptions for meters and supplies, you wind up paying a lot more than a doctor would for her office.

Googling the name of the meter you want will probably show a list of companies that sell the meters.

Some, but not all, of the vendors who say they sell to medical professionals ONLY may STILL sell to you.

I've done the whole purchase thing somewhat differently, and I've posted a lot in the Buying on E-Bay thread. My meters are last generation - still functional, possibly used, but rather inexpensive. I've been able to get my strips on eBay (CoaguChek strips) and I had a doctor order them for me (and I reimbursed him) from a medical supply house. The eBay vendors put the 'Medical Professional' wording in their listing because eBay apparently requires that they do. (The wording says 'may be' required, not 'required), and if you check with the vendor, you may find one or more who WILL sell to you.

One other thing - from what I have read so far, this forum will only advise you to purchase from an authorized dealer (or something like that). If you do a search on dealers (or something), in this forum they may have a list of sources for you.

Sure, strips and tester cost, on eBay, perhaps, around $200, but it sure beats fighting with an insurance company for reimbursement and for permission to self-test.
(I bought my brand new CoaguChek S from a company that was selling them for $99.99 (or something in that range). Send me a private message if you want their address -- they may still have one left. The meter IS brand new, still in the box, and has worked fine for me so far)

Once you've bought the meter, the only other real expense is supplies - year after year - lancets (a penny apiece?), alcohol wipes (about $1.50 for a box of 50 at Target, maybe less for two boxes at Costco), and strips (maybe $200 for 48). You may occasionally have to change the batteries, if your meter uses them, or to recharge your meter if it has rechargable batteries built in.

Last edited:
My insurance turned me onto a company (Alere - here's there website - http://www.coagnow.com/) that offers at least 3 different models. At least for that company, the routine goes something like this. First, you have to wait until you're at the 3 month mark. Then you get your physician to fill out a form for the same type of machine they use (you want to match the brand you get to the brand your physician uses). You also fill out another form yourself and fax both forms to this company. I've done that (actually just faxed forms in yesterday) and am now waiting to hear how much it's going to cost me (my insurance covers some of it, but not all). Will let ya know what happens next.

QAS has been known to sell to patients (with a prescription from a Doctor), often at a 'discount' from the Insurance Price.

I believe QAS has been sold to another company now but don't know the name. Maybe a Google Search will bring up more info.

'AL Capshaw'

My insurance turned me onto a company (Alere - here's there website - http://www.coagnow.com/) that offers at least 3 different models. At least for that company, the routine goes something like this. First, you have to wait until you're at the 3 month mark. Then you get your physician to fill out a form for the same type of machine they use (you want to match the brand you get to the brand your physician uses). You also fill out another form yourself and fax both forms to this company. I've done that (actually just faxed forms in yesterday) and am now waiting to hear how much it's going to cost me (my insurance covers some of it, but not all). Will let ya know what happens next.

As AR says Alere is the first place to go.QAS and Tapestry combined to form Alere.

Latest posts

Back