Where are you getting your supplies?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I don't know if the site administrator will allow this thread or not, but here I go:

eBay apparently stopped listing things related to the XS -- strips or meters. This leaves a lot of us who got these supplies on eBay scrambling for other sources.

I've seen a few mentioned in other threads, and apparently, it's okay to do this.

My question is: without recommending or commenting on experiences with sellers,

Who do YOU use to get strips, meter (you only need ONE), and other supplies?

I think this information can be helpful to many of us who are now stuck out in the cold.

Reliaston.com is known as Integramart on ebay. Today they (Integramart) still have Coaguchek test strips listed on ebay.

Last week (Feb 8, 2024), I ordered a box of 24 Coaguchek XS PT Test Strips from integramart on ebay. I got them today, Feb 12th. Inside the package was a note from Reliaston.com suggesting that I go directly to their website in the future. The return address on the package is:
Integramart
1129 Farmington Ave
West Hartford, CT 06107-1606

My last purchase of Coaguchek XS PT strips on eBay was from seller 'selfcare98'. I later received an email advising me to start buying direct from their website selfcaredepot.com due to listing restrictions.

I haven't gone this route yet but it looks legit. They have InRange meters and strips.

I've looked at selfcaredepot.com and reliaston and both appear to be legitimate. I'd probably trust either company with my money.

I don't know if they sell without prescription, but neither company offered any help in dealing with Medicare to pay for meter or strip purchases.

Both companies seem to be out of pocket only.

Have any of you bought your meters or supplies using Medicare? I'm trying to find a supplier. All that Roche puts on its website is management services -- I self test and self manage, and certainly don't need the handholding (and additional charges that Medicare would have to pay) for a meter and strips.

Maybe my insurance carrier would have some ideas about this.

If they do, I'll share it.

I was under the impression that in order to get health insurance (including Medicare) to cover INR meters and supplies in the USA, you have to go through a coagulation clinic or similar service. eBay and these grey market companies are the only source for those of us who self-test/manage outside of the boundaries.

So I'm confused as to why you think these internet sellers would help you deal with Medicare, since they are selling outside the normal channels? If you're going through a service, don't they provide the supplies? If I am misunderstanding something please correct me.

Thanks for the leads. Just checked out their sites and selfcaredepot.com and Reliaston.com both seem legit.

I would suggest that folks start looking to find a new source for their strips when they still have plenty remaining- like maybe 6 month's worth. I would not wait until I'm down to my last couple strips to find a new source, in case snags are encountered.

Kolyur -- I wasn't aware of your impression and know that there WERE some medical device retailers who sold the meters WITHOUT requiring that you use an unnecessary, overpriced service.

The providers that I saw a year or so ago WERE legitimate providers and apparently were connected to the 'normal' channels. The confusion is yours - I didn't realize (if this is true) that meters were only available if you used a service.

Kolyur -- I wasn't aware of your impression and know that there WERE some medical device retailers who sold the meters WITHOUT requiring that you use an unnecessary, overpriced service.

The providers that I saw a year or so ago WERE legitimate providers and apparently were connected to the 'normal' channels. The confusion is yours - I didn't realize (if this is true) that meters were only available if you used a service.
Interesting… thanks for clarifying. I have always purchased through eBay as I thought that was my only option. It sounds like a lot of us will have to be changing things up going forward.

Thanks for the leads. Just checked out their sites and selfcaredepot.com and Reliaston.com both seem legit.

I would suggest that folks start looking to find a new source for their strips when they still have plenty remaining- like maybe 6 month's worth. I would not wait until I'm down to my last couple strips to find a new source, in case snags are encountered.

I'm in this situation right now. Only been self-managing since around June 2023. Had supply of strips on hand and still some left but they all expire end of March.

I just asked same Qs that Protime raised in a different thread, then came to this one & realize I should have asked here. Basically I want to know now that ebay is no longer an option etc - if (a) insurance (in general) will help pay for the strips or lancets and (b) if you need a prescription to order from these firms direct. After 2 very bad experiences with billing with 2 managed services (RCS and Cardionet/Biotel/Philips/whatever names they call themselves) I do NOT want to go back to that garbage again.....

I'm okay with the service I receive through my insurance as there's no cost to me. It's a reporting service. That said, it seems to me that the time may have come for some petitions to the FDA to remove the testing meters and strips from prescription required. Who's up for that challenge?

Re: the CoaguChek XS, the problem, for the patient, is not prescription related. The fact is that it was approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. by healthcare professionals only as a class II device that also has "Special Controls" - see attached link. However, I believe (but can't find proof of this) that perhaps Roche, as a "Special Control", can allow a patient to obtain one of these devices and/or supplies if they go through one of the approved self-testing/monitoring services (e.g. Phillips Remoteinr, mdinr, Acelis, etc.).

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf9/K093460.pdf

Related to this, I also attached a letter from Roche (that another member posted in a prior thread) which says "

"To properly obtain a CoaguChek XS meter and supplies for patient self testing from an authorized distributor, please contact one of the approved Independent Diagnostic Testing Facilities listed on the following page."

When I contacted Roche asking who are the authorized distributors listed on the following page (but is missing) were, the associate from the top of her head mentioned Phillips Remoteinr, mdinr, and Acelis but indicated these are the ones she is familiar with (i.e. there could be more). She reiterated that a patient needs to go through one these distributors and sign-up for their monitoring services in order to get a device and supplies.

Attachments

• RoachLetter-Coagucheck.jpeg
    RoachLetter-Coagucheck.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There's a list of monitoring services on Roche's 'buy' page.

Slipkid - I've seen some XS strip listings somehow get through eBay's filters. You might try to snatch them up while you can -- but the services already mentioned have them. I don't know if they'll need a prescription to sell them, and have no idea what insurance will do with a receipt.

The stranglehold on the market -- requiring the use of a testing 'service' (basically a mailbox, supplier of meter and strips) that charges a LOT of money for what self tester know costs about $5 a s trip -- is an abuse on the self testers or anyone who doesn't want to be tethered to a service. FWIW - I don't know how much these 'services' charge, but I'm sure that there's a hell of a lot of profit in it for them - and insurance companies and Medicare end up overpaying - I don't know about copays - I wouldn't be surprised if, even with copays, it costs more than self testing does.

Wow. The only surprise is the $50 monthly fee per patient -- four strips = $50 (maybe they include the cost of the meter and profit for WebCareHealth).

This doesn't include the amount that doctors or clinics charge for reading from a dosing chart. I'm guessing that the monthly profit per patient, per month, is probably closer to $268 or more (maybe $100 per test for 'dosing' advice).

It's a greedy grab of funds that insurance and medicare are stuck paying.

Sure, not everyone can handle self management, and maybe they don't like self testing, but I'm sure that there are a lot of home testers on these greedy services who are capable of self management (they're already self testing, aren't they?). Even if it's just a matter of calling results into a service or doctor, why should insurance (or the patients) be stuck giving the services so much profit for the meters and strips?

Yes, I don't like greed. Reducing this to providing meters to patients - maybe even at no cost, and supplying strips at reasonable prices - and, for those who can't self manage, providing a service or doctor that can prescribe warfarin and manage dosing doesn't have to cost so damned much.

@slipkid @Protimenow After getting a meter off ebay, I've been buying my strips directly from Reliaston for a couple of years. I self-monitor but I'm part of a Coumadin clinic, which I'm happy with and don't want to change. I do my own weekly testing and go to the clinic 6 to 8 weeks. They know I monitor my INR, otherwise I'd have to go every 4 weeks. It's a good working relationship! Too bad we can't buy our strips at CVS!

thanks everyone for their suggestion, as many here i have been self testing and buying the strips on ebay, i will try both Relastion and Selfcaredepot.

Where i live (dominican republic) they dont sell strips or even have inr monitor services, so if its not online i wont be able to get strips.

Back