When do you take your diuretics?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you take your diuretics?

• Morning

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Noon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evening

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • What's a diuretic?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Johnny Stephens

I know many of us are on diuretics for various reasons. My cardio has given me pretty much free reign to experiment with the frequency and timing of 2 diuretics that I take (He just sets the daily total dose of each).

I take a daily diuretic - Demadex (Lasix has no effect for me). When I start to pack on more fluid than the Demadex can handle, I take a "booster" (Zaroxolyn) in combination with the Demadex, and cancel my plans for the evening :D

I've found that the Demadex by itself works much better if I take it in the morning. I think being up and around and active causes more blood circulation, and greater fluid elimination. HOWEVER - this is difficult at work. Meetings, work in the lab where I'm watching for something specific, etc. all make it disruptive and sometimes embarassing to constantly be running to the loo.

So (sheesh - this wound up longer than I'd planned) when do you take your diuretics?

Mine is thrown in with my BP medication, Diovan HCT, which I take first thing in the morning.

Joe takes Lasix twice a day, at 6 AM and at 2 PM. He says the afternoon one works much better.

He's had much better luck with things since I changed his diet to a little more protein and a little less carbs. (Can't prove that by the scientific method, LOL) Not Atkins, by any means, he still eats carbs, just fewer. Still extremely low sodium also.

I take 180 mg of lasix a day dosed throughout the day along with spiractalone 50mg 2x a day and when my fluid is over 10 lbs i take 2.5 of zaroxalyn.
I saw Johnny that you stated that lasix did not help you, i feel that this is also not helping me they keep adding to my dosage of lasix and iam at such a high dosage that i think it is insane and proves that it does not work for me. How long were you on lasix when you finally figured out that it was not working , for me even in the hospitial it never works until they go over 200 mg and then I get these aweful muscle spasms and headaches that really are bad what is the alternative to lasix , i would really like to bring this up at my appt. this month so i can have my med. changed ,almost everyday for over a month now i have been 20 lbs over my base weight and it really is taking a toll. Can anyone reccomend any kind of vitamin or naturaul suppulment that can be taken ,i have really tried alot of changes in my diet and i do not use salt,any canned products and just frozen vegtables with no sodium and iam am still having major fluid problems.

Hi!

My husband takes his lasix twice a day. 9:00 AM and around 6:00 PM. Total intake 120mg. - I cook with no salt, but we do eat out once in a while and he will take on the water like you wouldn't believe!!

Marybeth

Latest posts

Back