What's the ticking noise of On-X like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PathFinder

Hi! I think I already took the decision for me - the On-X.
But I have wondered about, what is the ticking noise of that valve like? Like a "Swatch" or like a ticking with your nail on a desk, or may be more hollow (favorable for me)? Please, On-X valvers, write me, guys!

Wish all good for you.

Ivo

crashed link!

crashed link!

Thank you for the link! I have already visited this site. And I couldn't open the St. Jude noise! :mad: Only the older clickers. Now, the site isn't even opening! And for bad luck, there is no On-X.

Honestly, don't concern yourself with it. Your probably not going to hear it unless your in a totally quiet environment.

I just opened a post from akaShei. Her husband, Nick, just had an On-X valve put in. Maybe you should send her a post or a private message.

I don't know about the On-X valves. But I read somewhere that the mitral valve replacements are usually noisier than the aortic valve replacements.

Whats the ticking noise of ON-X like

Whats the ticking noise of ON-X like

Hi I chose the On-X for several factors, now I don't know if I was the first one done at St Peter Hospital in Olympia, Wa. or not. However every nurse in the Cardio Ward had to come in to listen to the valve and all said that it was the quiets one they had ever heard. All had to use a stethoscope to hear it. I have never heard it even while lying in bed at night when all is quiet..

check my messages next week and hopefully I can let you know about the noise level. My son is getting one on Monday.

Hi! I have two ON-X valves, aortic and mitral and I can hear them when it is very quiet. The sound is like a wind up clock ( a little hollow) but not loud. Other people near me occasionally hear them when it is really quiet and they think there's a clock ticking. It really isn't bad. I think having two of them makes for a different rhythm than if I had one. I can always hear them in the bathroom. Maybe it's all of the hard surfaces in there. Marcie

Ivo:

I would venture a guess that most valves are a little noisier at first, then the sound usually becomes softer. Don't think it's a matter of "getting used" to the noise.
My St. Jude valve (mitral position) was very noticeable at first. My niece & nephew could hear it while sitting beside my hospital bed.
After about 1 year, the sound was very subdued. When I do hear it, it sounds like a very muffled Timex watch. It's not a bothersome noise, but a very lulling one.

I believe I have seen posts here from people with On-X valves who say they **can** hear their valves' ticking.

Some people may be more sensitive to all sounds.
I don't know if valve noise in heavier people is less noticeable than in thin people. If that were the case, I'd be hearing my valve constantly; I've lost 50pounds since getting it.

Good luck with your On-X. My husband is leaning toward an On-X if his mitral valve is not repairable.

I have one going on 11 months now. It sounds like a woman tapping her nails together but faint. I am on the slender side and can hear mine most anytime. Music to my ears. LOL

After a month or so the noise shouldn't bother you.

Harley

My son got his aortic on-x yesterday. I just tried to listen to it with a stethoscope and I couldn't hear it. He is very slim. I may be able to hear it better later when all the swelling has gone down.

Either its because Chloe is still small and quite slim or shes just unusual, but her on-x is fairly loud. You can hear it standing quite close to her and when shes been running round and her heart rate is up, its even louder so you can hear it from a few feet away.
I like the sound and its never bothered her at all, but then shes had it since 18 months of age so maybe she knows no different. She was cute as a toddler with it - used to sit with her head on one head looking all thoughtful then say 'tick, tick, 'tick...' as she listened to it. :)

xxx

Well, I listened to my son's chest again today. I cannot hear it with a stethoscope (probably because I don't know what I am doing). But if I put my ear near his chest I can hear it. It sounds like a watch ticking (not like a clock ticking). Again, my son is very slim, with no chest muscle or fat to speak of. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I am sure that if he sleeps with a fan on, he will never hear it.

Latest posts

Back